Adam Dunn Articles and Quotes thread

oldsox

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to blame KW for the Dunn signing. Not ONE baseball analyst, fan, or baseball player could have seen this kind of season from such a consistent power hitter. NO ONE. Struggling a little bit, sure but still getting 30+ bombs once he adjusted.

When Kenny signed Adam to the pretty reasonable deal he expected the same old Adam Dunn and got this in return. It's on Dunn and Dunn only.

If he's around next season.... There's no way he can do worse than 2011. If he did, it'd really be time to quit.

Edited by Cali

If he does decide to hang it up after this season, he will have made about 55 million according to COTS. He has made enough to go on to other things if he saved/invested wisely. I mentioned this a few weeks ago but I don't think there is any shame in walking away like Gil Meche did in KC. I think he will put more pressure on himself by the time the season ends than anybody can. I just hope he does the right thing at the time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)
Wow, Adam seems pretty damn defeated. Even if you really feel this way, don't let it be known. Or don't hint at it, at least. But I will say, as many others have, Dunn does care. Guys like Alex Rios and B.J. Upton are the ones that make me want to hurt small creatures.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:24 AM)
It's hard to blame KW for the Dunn signing. Not ONE baseball analyst, fan, or baseball player could have seen this kind of season from such a consistent power hitter. NO ONE. Struggling a little bit, sure but still getting 30+ bombs once he adjusted.

When Kenny signed Adam to the pretty reasonable deal he expected the same old Adam Dunn and got this in return. It's on Dunn and Dunn only.

If he's around next season.... There's no way he can do worse than 2011. If he did, it'd really be time to quit.

These times 1000.

He's been on 2 different teams in the last 10 years, though. He was consistent (both NL).

He comes here - TOTAL failure.

So...what is that?

It's always (not the hitting coaches fault) with most of you, but here's a trade between leagues and we apparently - "CAN'T HELP HIM adjust at the Major League Level" because by now...."blah blah blah" (Greg Walker works hard, not his fault, etc.) while Adam gets $10+M.

This team is ridiculous, and the word is out. South-side is now open for s***ty biz too! Send us your old and unproductive - they'll enjoy a great city and huge paycheck!

Propellerheads would SWEAR that 08-till-now was because of a lack of someone like Dunn. They SWORE by him.

I'd seriously DH Teahen over him...everyday...at this point.

*Edit - Forgot: F*** KW.

For $1M/yr we could've kept Thome.....

Thats" $1M, 1 Yr at a time....

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)
Wow, Adam seems pretty damn defeated. Even if you really feel this way, don't let it be known. Or don't hint at it, at least. But I will say, as many others have, Dunn does care. Guys like Alex Rios and B.J. Upton are the ones that make me want to hurt small creatures.

The dude has an absolutely great attitude. Billy Koch had a great attitude and he was terrible too, but there is atleast some respectability to that. Really, it makes you want the guy to succeed and to cheer for him even when failure is inevitable (yet again). But a guy like Rios, who it tends to seem just doesn't give a rat's ass about anything...even if he plays for your favorite team, you really don't care whether he succeeds or fails, and thus you are left with some sort of satisfaction no matter the result of their play.

A guy like Dunn though...it breaks my baseball heart to see him struggle as badly as he has. There is absolutely no explanation for it at this point in time other than that goddamn appendix.

The dude has an absolutely great attitude. Billy Koch had a great attitude and he was terrible too, but there is atleast some respectability to that. Really, it makes you want the guy to succeed and to cheer for him even when failure is inevitable (yet again). But a guy like Rios, who it tends to seem just doesn't give a rat's ass about anything...even if he plays for your favorite team, you really don't care whether he succeeds or fails, and thus you are left with some sort of satisfaction no matter the result of their play.

A guy like Dunn though...it breaks my baseball heart to see him struggle as badly as he has. There is absolutely no explanation for it at this point in time other than that goddamn appendix.

Wow - wonderful. Nobody cares - he's getting paid to produce.

I don't even post that much, but I see these excuses, and I remember why.

He's f***ING TERRIBLE and everyday we have him, keeps us from getting any better.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
I love ignorant statements that have no merit.

its not an ingorant statement, if im stating a known fact about his offseason preparations. sorry bud! If it worked before for the NL- awesome. Take this as a learning experience and actually work out and train in the offseason this year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Save the fact that Adam Dunn has stated he doesn't pick up a baseball bat in the offseason. There's some merit there... I'd reckon picking up a baseball bat might assist in his not sucking so much.

Thanks Steve! :) I usually don't state "ignorant responses with no merit" i've been on here for 7 years now- geeze loueeze!

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
What are they gonna do about it? If he wants to retire, he can retire.

He won't retire. This season is a lost cause. But he'll be okay in 2012 in my opinion. Hopefully Pauly takes him under his wing and they train hard together in the offseason. :)

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
its not an ingorant statement, if im stating a known fact about his offseason preparations. sorry bud! If it worked before for the NL- awesome. Take this as a learning experience and actually work out and train in the offseason this year.

Yes, bud, blaming his struggles on an off-season workout routine that has worked for him every other single year of his uncannily consistent career is ignorant if you think this is some new thing he's trying out and bragging about because he doesnt give a s*** or whatever. If that's not the case, and you're blaming his struggles on that anyways, it still fails to make sense seeing as how it has always worked for him before. And not just one or two times, but every single year of his career. I'm gonna say that years upon years of results would (should) weigh more and be taken into consideration. And he said he doesn't swing a bat, he never said he doesn't work out or train his body. It's no secret he's having an historically pitiful season, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with what he was and was not doing back in January.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
Thanks Steve! :) I usually don't state "ignorant responses with no merit" i've been on here for 7 years now- geeze loueeze!

Yeah, I had to get your back there. ChiSox_Sonix is, as the rest of us are, a little over-touchy I reckon because this team sucks fat donkey nuts.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
Yes, bud, blaming his struggles on an off-season workout routine that has worked for him every other single year of his uncannily consistent career is ignorant if you think this is some new thing he's trying out and bragging about because he doesnt give a s*** or whatever. If that's not the case, and you're blaming his struggles on that anyways, it still fails to make sense seeing as how it has always worked for him before. And not just one or two times, but every single year of his career. I'm gonna say that years upon years of results would (should) weigh more and be taken into consideration. And he said he doesn't swing a bat, he never said he doesn't work out or train his body. It's no secret he's having an historically pitiful season, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with what he was and was not doing back in January.

His point was that it's time to make some changes. Adam Dunn boasted he never picks up a bat in the off-season. That's fine and dandy until you start setting records for awfulness. Also, I don't think you realize how strong the word "ignorant" is, or if you do, that was uncalled for... his statement had plenty of merit based in fact.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
His point was that it's time to make some changes. Adam Dunn boasted he never picks up a bat in the off-season. That's fine and dandy until you start setting records for awfulness. Also, I don't think you realize how strong the word "ignorant" is, or if you do, that was uncalled for... his statement had plenty of merit based in fact.

First of all, ignorant and naive I don't view as inherently negative terms. It's just most people don't actually understand what they mean (not saying you don't)

He said "Hopefully next winter he will actually prepare for the season" or something like that. What did he do differently? By all accounts nothing, he did the same thing he always has. And just because he doesnt pick up a bat, doesn't mean he doesnt prepare or train. I hate people using those kind of hindsight jabs and reasons for player's struggles when it is foolish to do so. If he had picked a bat this off-season and was going through problems you know people would be all over him changing his routine (or blaming Walker for making him) etc...

Look at it this way in a simple form

We can assume that Event A has led to Event B for 7 or 8 years since that is a large sample size.

Event A occurred again this year and right now we are seeing Event C.

To now assume that Event A is the cause of Event C is presumptuous at best, ignorant at worst. I don't believe that his off-season workout has much significance in this. You don't just forget how to hit a baseball. One of my degrees is in statistical analysis, and to make a claim that Event A now leads to Event C is kind of ignorant.

Even without getting all 'mathy' I find it ridiculous to think what he did or did not do in January is the cause of this. His spring wasn't great but it was far from disastrous. Something is wrong with him and I think at this point there has to be something hugely mental about it. This was just one example, but this board just loves the hindsight blame game and it's incredibly annoying.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
First of all, ignorant and naive I don't view as inherently negative terms. It's just most people don't actually understand what they mean (not saying you don't)

He said "Hopefully next winter he will actually prepare for the season" or something like that. What did he do differently? By all accounts nothing, he did the same thing he always has. And just because he doesnt pick up a bat, doesn't mean he doesnt prepare or train. I hate people using those kind of hindsight jabs and reasons for player's struggles when it is foolish to do so. If he had picked a bat this off-season and was going through problems you know people would be all over him changing his routine (or blaming Walker for making him) etc...

Look at it this way in a simple form

We can assume that Event A has led to Event B for 7 or 8 years since that is a large sample size.

Event A occurred again this year and right now we are seeing Event C.

To now assume that Event A is the cause of Event C is presumptuous at best, ignorant at worst. I don't believe that his off-season workout has much significance in this. You don't just forget how to hit a baseball. One of my degrees is in statistical analysis, and to make a claim that Event A now leads to Event C is kind of ignorant.

Even without getting all 'mathy' I find it ridiculous to think what he did or did not do in January is the cause of this. His spring wasn't great but it was far from disastrous. Something is wrong with him and I think at this point there has to be something hugely mental about it. This was just one example, but this board just loves the hindsight blame game and it's incredibly annoying.

And changing his offseason routine can help with that.