Pittsburgh scouting Sox

southsider2k5

Unless Pirates want a guy like Teahen not really sure how they and the Sox could mix, outside the Sox throwing a ton of cash to get rid of a guy like Dunn. Or some how the Pirates Gm trades McCutchen for 2 of our old players in a classic 2 is better than 1 move, the Pirates did trade Aramis for trash.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Steve Stone just said that the Pirates have a couple of scouts at the game tonight, that they are going to be buyers at the deadline, and that they are looking for a hitter.

Let the speculation, begin!

Yeah I kinda thought it was PIT scouting the Royals as well, but you never know.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Unless Pirates want a guy like Teahen not really sure how they and the Sox could mix, outside the Sox throwing a ton of cash to get rid of a guy like Dunn. Or some how the Pirates Gm trades McCutchen for 2 of our old players in a classic 2 is better than 1 move, the Pirates did trade Aramis for trash.

Teahen would make nice sense for them. It'd be a $ dump from the Sox end I'd have to think.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Steve Stone just said that the Pirates have a couple of scouts at the game tonight, that they are going to be buyers at the deadline, and that they are looking for a hitter.

Let the speculation, begin!

When he said looking for a hitter that immediately rules out the Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Pirates have been rumored to be after Francoeur and Betemit. Unless we give them Quentin, I don't see there being a match.

What would they have for the Sox to pull the trigger on this?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
Teahen would make nice sense for them. It'd be a $ dump from the Sox end I'd have to think.

They said the Buckos were looking for a "hitter". That eliminates Teahen from consideration right off the bat - even before you consider his ridiculous contract situation.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:48 AM)

He would not make sense for any team. He can't field. He is a rotten hitter at this point and he can't run either.

We can hope, though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
He would not make sense for any team. He can't field. He is a rotten hitter at this point and he can't run either.

We can hope, though.

Question: Why did Kenny sign Teahen?

Answer: Because he hit MB so well.

Way to go, Kenny.

I'd say Teahen is a long shot, but I wouldn't completely rule it out if the Sox took on some cash. The Pirates have gotten a .629 OPS at 3B this year and their best option has really been Brandon Wood, who has all of a .664 OPS (and .593 against RHP). Teahen is technically a downgrade overall at .656, but sort of works as a platoon partner at .698 against RHP, so there are worse options out there. On top of that, due to his versatility, he can contribute off the bench for them as well as in pinch hitting circumstances.

That's about the only guy the Sox could really trade at this point outside of maybe Rios.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:29 AM)
I'd say Teahen is a long shot, but I wouldn't completely rule it out if the Sox took on some cash. The Pirates have gotten a .629 OPS at 3B this year and their best option has really been Brandon Wood, who has all of a .664 OPS (and .593 against RHP). Teahen is technically a downgrade overall at .656, but sort of works as a platoon partner at .698 against RHP, so there are worse options out there. On top of that, due to his versatility, he can contribute off the bench for them as well as in pinch hitting circumstances.

That's about the only guy the Sox could really trade at this point outside of maybe Rios.

And with the Pirates having a total $50 million salary, you can knock Rios off that list. They're NOT taking his contract.

The Sox might be able to give Teahen to the pirates for virtually nothing and remove some of the salary commitment to him. Otherwise, the Pirates can find better options if they're willing to give up a player or two.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)

The problem is that Pedro Alvarez is in AAA getting healthy. He did struggle to start the season, but he put up a .788 OPS last year, and obviously has the talent/potential as a 2nd overall pick. Calling him back up sounds like a better risk than trading for Teahen. And this isn't the Pirates front office of 5 years ago either.

Mark Teahen is NOT going to Pittsburgh. They are looking for a GOOD hitter...who happens to hit right handed...preferably an outfielder. If they are looking at the Sox, Carlos Quentin is the obvious choice, but like others I think they are scouting KC.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
I think KC is the seler and may have a bat or two to give up. Amazing how a teams fortunes can change. Pittsburgh a buyer? They have really turned their franchise around with that young talent

Pittsburgh is actually a team I've thoughts we could trade with. Last night on baseball tonight they said Pittsburgh would be looking to use some of their young talent to get some help to make a second half push.

so here is what I have come up with

Pittsburgh gets;

OF Carlos Quinton - a big bat they need need in the middle of their line up

SP Edwin Jackson - a #2 or 3 for their rotation

3B Brent Morel - a young guy they can have.

We get;

3B Pedro Alvarez - they have some competition already there. Their GM said that the spot wouldn't be just handed to him. So now might be the time to get him. He has a good glove, big bat, and huge arm.

CF Gorkys Hernandez - a speedster with a great glove. Is batting. 300 in AAA. And. 340 the last month. Is more for next year. Has good base stealing potential

Then have them name 3 untouchables from their Was and lower teams and then let us choose 2 prospects.

This way viciedo gets called up. We get a legit 3B guy now, and we got CFer for next year

The Pirates aren't that desperate.

Since their problems are more offense related, acquiring Morel would do nothing for their future (at this point).

They'd lose Jackson after two months and get the comp pick back. And have Quentin for only one year. That's just another version of the Hudson/Holmberg for Jackson deal. They're not ready to sell THAT low on Alvarez yet. It also reminds me of the potential deal with the Reds with Dye almost going for Homer Bailey.

Plus, you never know what's going to happen if you ask a player to adjust to a new league in the middle of the season. It's a very tough adjustment for MOST hitters. And USCF covers up Quentin's defensive inadequacies a lot more than PNC Ballpark would in RF or LF.

And they don't really desperately need starting pitching. So they're getting Jackson and Morel, two players they don't even need...just to acquire Quentin.

And giving up two highly talented and cost-controlled young players in the process, plus the other minor league prospects that you're proposing to send.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
Pittsburgh is actually a team I've thoughts we could trade with. Last night on baseball tonight they said Pittsburgh would be looking to use some of their young talent to get some help to make a second half push.

Pittsburgh gets;

We get;

3B Pedro Alvarez - they have some competition already there. Their GM said that the spot wouldn't be just handed to him. So now might be the time to get him. He has a good glove, big bat, and huge arm.

CF Gorkys Hernandez - a speedster with a great glove. Is batting. 300 in AAA. And. 340 the last month. Is more for next year. Has good base stealing potential

Then have them name 3 untouchables from their Was and lower teams and then let us choose 2 prospects.

This way viciedo gets called up. We get a legit 3B guy now, and we got CFer for next year

Ummmm, no. We'd have a better shot at landing Verlander.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)

Pittsburgh gets;

We get;

Kenny doesn't value young players. He would rather burn down the entire farm to get Beltran as a rental and some reliever over picking up kids.