AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Well, it's amusing that a walk-off balk and a game-changing error by Escobar have basically given the last two Sox victories in the season series to us.

But we have to take every win we can get.

And at least Pierre got a two-out RBI.

Adam Dunn, now at .158.

Alex Rios on the road, 30/187 (.160), 2 HR's, 10 RBI, 27 K's

OPS closing in on 400

Cmon folks! Let's get excited.

We did win.

Offense was somewhat shaky whiffing eight times against Davies, but who cares? We won.

Props to Juan, Lexi for immediately lifting the sac fly, Paulie.

Good job by the relief corps not blowing it. Crain, Thornton and Sergio all were nasty.

I hope we can keep beating KC; their record the last 2 months is so bad it's hard to believe.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
Cmon folks! Let's get excited.

We did win.

Offense was somewhat shaky whiffing eight times against Davies, but who cares? We won.

Props to Juan, Lexi for immediately lifting the sac fly, Paulie.

Good job by the relief corps not blowing it. Crain, Thornton and Sergio all were nasty.

I hope we can keep beating KC; their record the last 2 months is so bad it's hard to believe.

Except it was actually 9 K's, a career high...and the guy's won what, one game?

In some ways, this was worse than the Bruce Chen fiasco, it's just that we got bailed out by their poor defense. Didn't feel like we BEAT them by playing better. They Royals are just so fundamentally flawed they usually get in their own way and give games away to opponents.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Don't you dare say that Rowand!!!

I remember when Joe Morgan and many others said the same thing in the middle of 2008 and it kind of fell to pieces in the 2nd half when Linebrink couldn't return to form after the injury.

What really ruined that bullpen was Jenks getting hurt. It completely threw off the balance and rhythm of the bullpen with guys shifting to roles they weren't comfortable in cost them a few games down the stretch. I remember a game in Oakland that the Sox were up like 4-2 and Dotel gave up 4 runs without recording an out or something and they obviously ended up losing. Linebrink not coming back to form did not help matters.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 04:14 AM)
Except it was actually 9 K's, a career high...and the guy's won what, one game?

In some ways, this was worse than the Bruce Chen fiasco, it's just that we got bailed out by their poor defense. Didn't feel like we BEAT them by playing better. They Royals are just so fundamentally flawed they usually get in their own way and give games away to opponents.

That is true.

We could have lost easily when it was 2-2.

I'd have been in fire everybody mode if we lost to Davies.

It is sad. Truly all day here people on the talkshows are all wanting to just DFA Davies and Getz too for that matter.

Poor Getz is the new whipping boy with Davies.

We still had some bright spots, especially Mark n the bullpen.

The fact Davies whiffed nine makes me wonder ... do you think if you were a starting pitcher you'd rather face the Sox than any team in baseball? I guess they don't like facing Paulie who hits fastballs so well tho.

Edited by greg775

Buerhle's value is probably at an alltime high right now. I think the Sox should use this as an oppurtunity to get some top prospects in deal for Buerhle. Ya Buerhle has meant a lot for this organization but we cannot forget his inconsitencies since he signed the contract. Maybe deal him off to Stl in a package centred around Rasmus or even Rios + Buerhle for Rasmus. But highly doubt any1 would take Rios, that would mean u take on Rios' contract and Buerhle 15 mill next season.

The coming weeks is gonna be huge in determining what the team will actually be doing. If we do manage to stay in the race then K.Williams will either stay pat or add someone for the strech run. If not we get rid of Jackson and/or perhaps Buerhle to add some key peices for the future.

Should they trade Buehrle right now?

Probably.

Will they? Definitely not, KW would face an insurrection.

And they're still not going to get Rasmus straight up for Buehrle, because the Cardinals are still taking on around $5 million in additional salary.

If the White Sox paid for most of the rest of the year, you POSSIBLY could get Rasmus, but they won't do that. #2, they're not going to do it simply because it means you have to bench Rios or Pierre, and/or trade Quentin.

Otherwise, you're acquiring Rasmus and basically writing off $43 million in Rios.

Unless you're going to bench Rios for two whole months, then name him the starter again coming into 2012, along with Dayan.

And you know how much KW and Ozzie love their "traditional" leadoff hitter. Just not a snowball's chance in hell that the organization would have any credibility with the fans approaching 2012 with Rios as the annointed leadoff hitter to replace Pierre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:09 AM)

Probably.

And they're still not going to get Rasmus straight up for Buehrle, because the Cardinals are still taking on around $5 million in additional salary.

If the White Sox paid for most of the rest of the year, you POSSIBLY could get Rasmus, but they won't do that. #2, they're not going to do it simply because it means you have to bench Rios or Pierre, and/or trade Quentin.

Otherwise, you're acquiring Rasmus and basically writing off $43 million in Rios.

Unless you're going to bench Rios for two whole months, then name him the starter again coming into 2012, along with Dayan.

And you know how much KW and Ozzie love their "traditional" leadoff hitter. Just not a snowball's chance in hell that the organization would have any credibility with the fans approaching 2012 with Rios as the annointed leadoff hitter to replace Pierre.

Is Rasmus worth all this discussion? Isn't he just another guy?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:09 AM)

Probably.

On top of taking on $5 million this year. Buehrle has a vesting option for $17 million for 2012 if he gets traded. I don't think many teams are gonna want to touch that.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 06:03 AM)
On top of taking on $5 million this year. Buehrle has a vesting option for $17 million for 2012 if he gets traded. I don't think many teams are gonna want to touch that.

Pretty sure that option 'expired' as soon as Buehrle become 5/10 player receiving full no-trade clause.

So he is UFA next year.

signed extension with White Sox 7/8/07

08:$14M, 09:$14M, 10:$14M, 11:$14M

award bonus: $25,000 for Gold Glove, $15,000 for All Star selection

no-trade protection

2008: full no-trade clause

2009 - July 15, 2010: limited no-trade protection allowing Buehrle to block trades to certain unspecified clubs. A trade triggers an escalator paying $1M raise to $15M annually, plus a guaranteed fifth year paying $15M for 2012.

July 16, 2010-2011: Buehrle may not be traded without his permission, under rights as a 10-and-5 player

Edited by caulfield12

The fact Davies whiffed nine makes me wonder ... do you think if you were a starting pitcher you'd rather face the Sox than any team in baseball? I guess they don't like facing Paulie who hits fastballs so well tho.

I guess youve never heard of the Seattle Mariners.

Also, we're very middle of the pack in the Majors in nearly all offensive categories. in the 12-18th range. Stop hating on your own team just to be cool. And very interestingly, only the Rangers have struck out less than us... out of 30 teams.

Edited by Bighurt52235