7/19 GT: Sox @ Royals, 7:10pm

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Dunn is going nowhere lower than 4th in the lineup.

I tend to lean towards being an Ozzie apologist but this is where you can draw the line for "stupid enough to be fired". If you are keeping Dunn in for his pyche, at least bat him further down the order.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't think Pierre is supposed to play today. Bet it's Lillibridge. Scary enough?

:lolhitting I'd love to read a scouting report teams give their "just up from the minors pitchers" when they have to face the Sox.

Flowers would have been a better match-up tomorrow against Chen and his mediocre fastball than Duffy and his 93-95 mph fastball. Our offense needs to start hitting some freaking home runs.

Edited by fathom

Dunn has no chance against Duffy. He'll blow the fastball right by him or Dunn will take it as he's been doing for strike three.

Only hope is he can draw a walk or two.

Once again, on paper this is a huge mismatch in our favor. Can we take advantage?

This actually gives Flowers a chance. He's facing and up and coming pitcher who has minimal big league experience. He's basically a minor leaguer right now which is what Flowers has been as well.

No excuses. It's hot out. The bats should be ready. Peavy-Duffy is a huge Sox advantage on paper.

And the Royals are the worst team in the AL with no fans at this point of the season.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
Greg, Peavy vs Duffy is not a huge Sox advantage on paper. Peavy's ERA as a starter this year is 5.68

I'd like to compare the two salaries.

In terms of name recognition, and the fact the Royals are a AAA team, it's a huge advantage to the Sox IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
So wait, today's lineup is going to include

Juan Pierre

Brent Morel

Adam Dunn

Tyler Flowers

Alex Rios

That's not exactly what I'd call scary.

It's downright spooky is what it is. I can't rememebr when we have had two such large black holes in our line up as we do with Rios and Dunn. But, to think the Sox would send down Dunn and or Rios is absolutely an absurd idea. It just isn't going to happen an I am sure it's never been discussed by the Sox high command as an option.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
It's downright spooky is what it is. I can't rememebr when we have had two such large black holes in our line up as we do with Rios and Dunn. But, to think the Sox would send down Dunn and or Rios is absolutely an absurd idea. It just isn't going to happen an I am sure it's never been discussed by the Sox high command as an option.

Again, Sending Adam Dunn and Alex Rios to the minor leagues would require the Sox to immediately spend about $95 million.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Greg, Peavy vs Duffy is not a huge Sox advantage on paper. Peavy's ERA as a starter this year is 5.68

I know we won last night and all but going up against Davies who was a 1-8 pitcher and he got 8 or 9 k's against our line up doesn't do much for my confidence in our hitters. Or maybe it's just Dunn and Rios again?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Again, Sending Adam Dunn and Alex Rios to the minor leagues would require the Sox to immediately spend about $95 million.

I understand and that's another reason I should have mentioned why it won't happen. Best you can do I guess is hope hope and hope they break out of this slump

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
FWIW Teahen only hits .083 against LHP

Yep. Omar is somewhat respectable against LHP, and he's barely played at all lately, so WTF?

If Morel fails to hit against the lefties tonight and tomorrow, is that what finally allows his demotion, and a DV or ADA promotion, such that potentially we have a roster change heading into Shank Hall?

QUOTE (tpezz27 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
Pierre LF, Ramirez SS, Konerko 1B, Quentin DH, Rios CF, Lillibridge RF, Beckham 2B, Flowers C, Morel 3B, (Peavy P)

Thank God no Adam Dunn. Don't we have a pretty good record when he sits? Post appendectomy period I mean, once he returned from that.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Yep. Omar is somewhat respectable against LHP, and he's barely played at all lately, so WTF?

If Morel fails to hit against the lefties tonight and tomorrow, is that what finally allows his demotion, and a DV or ADA promotion, such that potentially we have a roster change heading into Shank Hall?

You don't really want more of Omar do you?

I really don't think we'll see Dayan til September. They are going to stick with Juan and Dunn and there's nowhere else to play him unfortunately since I guess third base is out of the question.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
You don't really want more of Omar do you?

I really don't think we'll see Dayan til September. They are going to stick with Juan and Dunn and there's nowhere else to play him unfortunately since I guess third base is out of the question.

If Morel fails in the platoon he'll have little use on the roster, and still very little utility even he does get some hits these next two nights, because he only plays one position. Omar can play against lefties, and even Lilli can play at third in a pinch. Room on the roster should be made for Viciedo regardless.

If we wait til September to bring up the Tank, it will be the most maddening mismanagement I can imagine. Say that fast 4 times.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
Pierre - LF Ramirez - SS Konerko - 1B Quentin - DH Rios - CF Lillibridge - RF Beckham - 2B Flowers - C Morel - 3B

That's a lineup that looks good to me, too. Wonder how it'll play out?

Morel and Omar in the 2 hole was really bad for that long, long stretch of time.

It'd be nice to see the rookie walk or hit Juan to lead off the game and have Lexi single to right setting the table.

Other than Beckham (recently), that's a pretty terrible back end of the line-up after Quentin.

I wouldn't even pitch to Carlos unless I absolutely had to...same thing with Dunn when he's right behind Konerko.

The only positive out of all this is at least Dunn's not in the line-up, let alone hitting 3rd/4th.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Other than Beckham (recently), that's a pretty terrible back end of the line-up after Quentin.

I wouldn't even pitch to Carlos unless I absolutely had to...same thing with Dunn when he's right behind Konerko.

The only positive out of all this is at least Dunn's not in the line-up, let alone hitting 3rd/4th.

I just don't see how anyone can look at this roster and think "playoffs".