Curtis Granderson: Where are Black baseball fans?

caulfield12

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20110...-are-black-fans

I actually prefer this game at NASCAR events, SEC football games, Michael Bolton concerts (joking) and at Augusta National.

The funny this is that the person who suggested it was my African-American date when I went with her to the Master's.

We didn't get much over 10 either. Groundscrew/workers, but not patrons as they call them.

Don't think Nolan Ryan will be too amused by this, not with his recent health scare and then the fan falling to his death.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20110...-are-black-fans

I actually prefer this game at NASCAR events, SEC football games, Michael Bolton concerts (joking) and at Augusta National.

The funny this is that the person who suggested it was my African-American date when I went with her to the Master's.

We didn't get much over 10 either. Groundscrew/workers, but not patrons as they call them.

Don't think Nolan Ryan will be too amused by this, not with his recent health scare and then the fan falling to his death.

I'd like to see if he could find two at NHL games.

There's probably a zillion reasons why there's that decline.

Back in the 60's playing organized sports like Little League was not they only way to play some baseball. You were always close to some lot big enough to play. Today, the well to do neighborhoods with $250K homes hardly have back yards. You don't have to mount a hoop over your garage anymore. They have portable ones.

When corporations are looking to help market their products, they prefer NBA or NFL players. The NBA also has a more international appeal. You don't hear of baseball teams in Europe.

Our culture has become less interested in baseball. Out West it's not as noticeable but very apparent in the Midwest.

It's sad that the roid era put some interest back. Maybe that's why it was looked the other way. I worry though that some dumb commissioner might ruin the purity of the game by coming up with strange ideas to attract more audiences. I'm fearing this more with the NFL.