Santiago down, Danks back

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Glad we gave Santiago a good look out there on the mound. We could have very easily just let him rot on the bench and hardly ever use him, but it was nice to see him get a fair shot.

We did pretty much let him rot. He was on the roster 3+ weeks and pitched twice.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
We did pretty much let him rot. He was on the roster 3+ weeks and pitched twice.

you can't really count the shortened week of the allstar game....with all the pitchers getting rest I didn't really think he'd be used until it was necessary.

Still, for a guy who was on no one's radar at the start of the season, there's probably benefits to being up in the big leagues, dealing with big league scouting reports, big league hitters/pitchers, and the big league coaching staff.

A top flight prospect on everyone's radar, I'd be more annoyed about having him and throwing him once or twice in 3 weeks out of the pen. A guy who came out of no where...if he doesn't gain anything from this experience, then we haven't really lost anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Still, for a guy who was on no one's radar at the start of the season, there's probably benefits to being up in the big leagues, dealing with big league scouting reports, big league hitters/pitchers, and the big league coaching staff.

A top flight prospect on everyone's radar, I'd be more annoyed about having him and throwing him once or twice in 3 weeks out of the pen. A guy who came out of no where...if he doesn't gain anything from this experience, then we haven't really lost anything.

Except he's arguably a top five SP prospect in our system and one of the closest to being MLB ready. If we need a starter in the next year or two, for whatever reason that may be, he'll definitely be high on that list. We're not exactly overflowing with SP prospects. So him coming out nowhere is irrelevant. He needs to continue to develop as a starter in the minors, so wasting a couple weeks in our bullpen as an insurance policy is just delaying his development. That's the purpose of having guys like Harrell around, so we can avoid using our better prospects for these type of crap roles.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Except he's arguably a top five SP prospect in our system and one of the closest to being MLB ready. If we need a starter in the next year or two, for whatever reason that may be, he'll definitely be high on that list. We're not exactly overflowing with SP prospects. So him coming out nowhere is irrelevant. He needs to continue to develop as a starter in the minors, so wasting a couple weeks in our bullpen as an insurance policy is just delaying his development. That's the purpose of having guys like Harrell around, so we can avoid using our better prospects for these type of crap roles.

To be fair though...a "top five SP prospect in our system" really doesn't mean all that much, and you know that.

If he turns into something valuable it's like hitting the lotto. If we change the odds slightly, it doesn't bug me, especially since I can make a few arguments for the odds going either way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
To be fair though...a "top five SP prospect in our system" really doesn't mean all that much, and you know that.

If he turns into something valuable it's like hitting the lotto. If we change the odds slightly, it doesn't bug me, especially since I can make a few arguments for the odds going either way.

A top five SP prospect may not mean much in terms of his value to other organizations, but that doesn't change his value to us right now. Let's say we lose Mark and Edwin this offseason. We're heading into next year with Peavy, Floyd, Danks, and Humber. Who's your #5 starter? Hopefully Chris Sale. But what happens if he doesn't work or Peavy goes down for an extended period of time? Who gets the call? The point is you should always a #6 starter in mind before a season, whether it's your long-man (if you have one) or a prospect in AAA/AA. Who will be that guy next year? Right now, I'd say Santiago is as good of as an option as we might have. I don't care if he's a top 100 prospect or not, he may be the best option we got and that player should be considered valuable to us. Don't dick him around if you don't need to. Also, the reason this guy came out of nowhere was he was raw and just learned a new pitch. If anything, he needs more time in the minors refining his stuff than a more name-driven prospect. I don't think a couple weeks in our bullpen will make or break him, but I'd much rather had him in AA working on stuff as a starter. IMO, he'll gain more from the innings at this point than doing side-sessions with our major league staff.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
A top five SP prospect may not mean much in terms of his value to other organizations, but that doesn't change his value to us right now. Let's say we lose Mark and Edwin this offseason. We're heading into next year with Peavy, Floyd, Danks, and Humber. Who's your #5 starter? Hopefully Chris Sale. But what happens if he doesn't work or Peavy goes down for an extended period of time? Who gets the call? The point is you should always a #6 starter in mind before a season, whether it's your long-man (if you have one) or a prospect in AAA/AA. Who will be that guy next year? Right now, I'd say Santiago is as good of as an option as we might have. I don't care if he's a top 100 prospect or not, he may be the best option we got and that player should be considered valuable to us. Don't dick him around if you don't need to. Also, the reason this guy came out of nowhere was he was raw and just learned a new pitch. If anything, he needs more time in the minors refining his stuff than a more name-driven prospect. I don't think a couple weeks in our bullpen will make or break him, but I'd much rather had him in AA working on stuff as a starter. IMO, he'll gain more from the innings at this point than doing side-sessions with our major league staff.

How many teams have six major league ready starters? That is a ridiculous standard with price of pitching in this day and age.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
How many teams have six major league ready starters? That is a ridiculous standard with price of pitching in this day and age.

If we're going into next season with Peavy, Humber, and Sale in the rotation and expecting to compete, having someone in AAA who can fill in is a necessity.

However, I find the odds that having Santiago up with the big league team for 3 weeks and pitching a few times will screw him up to be lower than the odds that the Sox will be able to find an additional 6th starter, either from another surprising rise or from the scrap heap elsewhere (a-la Phil Humber).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)

Who said anything about six major league starters? I'm simply talking about an organizational depth chart. If one of your starters goes down, usually you look in your system for a replacement. Not once did I say that guy needs to be major league ready. More likely than not, the guy won't be very good. However, he'll probably be a lot better than your other options and that's why he's that #6 guy. Next year, we may need Santiago to be that guy. We don't have a lot of other options to choose, given our poor system.

QUOTE (shlammajamma @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
What were your opinions on Santiago? Seems like he has a decent fastball with good velocity, not sure how the velocity would be in a 6+ inning game though

I was pleasantly surprised by his two outings. I don't know if he is a fluke or not, but he definitely earned another look assuming he doesn't fall apart in the minors.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)

I was being sarcastic. It's bulls*** how often we saw Ozzie run Ohman and Bruney out there day after day after day while Santiago twiddled his thumbs on the bench. Kid looked great in the 2 appearances he had, and Ozzie still didn't give a s***.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I was being sarcastic. It's bulls*** how often we saw Ozzie run Ohman and Bruney out there day after day after day while Santiago twiddled his thumbs on the bench. Kid looked great in the 2 appearances he had, and Ozzie still didn't give a s***.

Have Ohman and Bruney failed to perform?

Hell, personally I think Ohman should be trade-bait here in a week or so. The Yankees could (quite seriously) use him. A lot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Have Ohman and Bruney failed to perform?

Hell, personally I think Ohman should be trade-bait here in a week or so. The Yankees could (quite seriously) use him. A lot.

They just called up some lefty longman who has never pitched in the majors. Their only other lefty in the pen is Boone Logan. I would have to agree they could use Ohman.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
They just called up some lefty longman who has never pitched in the majors. Their only other lefty in the pen is Boone Logan. I would have to agree they could use Ohman.

Boone just got his s*** kicked in too. That pen is bad. Like Twins bad outside of Mo and Robertson.