Sticking with White Sox to win AL Central

By David Schoenfield

“Just stay positive”

--Ozzie Guillen on Twitter, April 21

“Great time the best thing we no talk about baseball”

--Ozzie Guillen, April 25

“Iam in very very bad mood stay away from me the most you can”

--Ozzie Guillen, June 7

It hasn’t been the most enjoyable season for White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. On May 6, the team stood 11-22 after struggling through a 4-18 stretch that included several bullpen implosions. They clawed back to 42-42 and 43-43, but after losing 4-2 against Royals rookie Danny Duffy on Tuesday night, the White Sox are 47-50.

Of course, in the AL Central, that means they’re in the thick of the pennant race. Which is remarkable considering:

Adam Dunn is hitting .158. That’s not a misprint. Yes, he draws some walks and has hit a few home runs. HE’S HITTING .158! Believe it or not, that wouldn’t be a major league record for a hitter who received at least 300 plate appearances. Bill Bergen hit .139 for the 1909 Brooklyn Superbas. Bergen is, quite simply, the worst hitter in major league history to have any kind of significant career. He had three extra-base hits in 346 at-bats that year and hit .170 in his 11-year career. The point is it’s not a good thing to be mentioned in the same breath as Bill Bergen … especially if you’re a designated hitter making $12 million.

Alex Rios has a worse OPS than Dunn. Yes, he’s worse than the guy having one of the worst seasons ever. And Rios hit fifth in the lineup on Tuesday. I don’t know whether to laugh at Ozzie or cry with him over a beer. Oh, Rios is making $12.5 million this season. And you thought Cubs fans had it bad.

Rookie third baseman Brent Morel entered the season with high hopes. He’s hitting .240 with one home run and three walks in over 200 at-bats. His OPS is lower than Rios’.

Top starter John Danks began the season 0-8 without a win in his first 11 starts and is now on the DL with an oblique strain.

So what’s it mean? I’m picking the White Sox to win the AL Central, of course.

Call me stubborn. I picked the Sox at the start of the season.

OK, five reasons they can win the Central:

1. They have the best rotation in the division. The Twins actually have a slightly better rotation ERA, but once you adjust for the homer-friendly confines of the Cell, the White Sox have the best rotation. Detroit may have the best one starter, but Justin Verlander is the only starter they have with an ERA under 4.40. Chicago’s rotation depth will prove key as the season winds down.

2. Once Danks returns from the DL, they have six starters. Edwin Jackson is rumored to be on the trading block. He’s a free agent after the season (as is Mark Buehrle), so he may not bring back much. But maybe the Sox could find a match with another contender and get a hitter with an average above .158 or on-base percentage above .260.

3. The bullpen is deep and solid. The bullpen ERA was 3.36 entering Tuesday, fifth in the AL. The Indians were 3.29 and the Tigers 4.78. But I like Chicago’s power arms: 258 strikeouts in 254 innings, versus Cleveland’s 224 in 276 2/3 innings. Indians closer Chris Perez’s poor 23/18 strikeout/walk ratio is a warning sign (as I mentioned when he was selected to the All-Star team) and he’s allowed runs in three of his past four appearances, drawing two losses in the process.

4. Paul Konerko is raking. He’s not Jose Bautista or Adrian Gonzalez, but he gives the White Sox one of the best hitters in the league. And in 2011, with a deep pitching staff and two hitters like Konerko and Carlos Quentin, you just may be able to score enough runs.

5. It’s the AL Central!

OK, look, there’s no way Dunn, Rios and Morel will continue to be this bad. They’ll either play better or Ozzie will start playing other guys. Otherwise we’ll soon see a tweet like this:

“Moving Juan Pierre to fifth hole. Don’t laugh hes one of our best hitters.”

--Ozze Guillen, July 29

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
OK, look, there’s no way Dunn, Rios and Morel will continue to be this bad. They’ll either play better or Ozzie will start playing other guys.

I wish this were true, I really do.

The only part that may not be true is Morel and Rios. Dunn will eventually produce in a White Sox uni, just not sure when.

The Sox are in a unique position because they can trade some veterans for prospects, bring up other prospects and still have a chance to win this division.

1) Sell high! Now is the time to get a nice package for Quentin. Bring up Viciedo and hopefully he can do damage up here.

2) We can likely get a couple of nice prospects for Edwin Jackson.

3) Dunn and Rios. Yeah they are not going anywhere. Any production from these 2 knuckleheads will be a bonus at this point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Based on Dunn's career numbers, what makes you think this is his new norm?

I don't think its the norm, but I think it will be for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't be suprised if he had a nice year next year. He's only 31 and hasn't had any injuries. So he could bounce back next year.

He just seems to be lost this year. He's at almost 300 at bats and he hasn't even put together one good series at the plate.

It wouldn't be the first time a professional athlete has lost the ability to do something they had been doing their entire career.

Although the only examples I can think of are guys that had trouble throwing the ball, not hitting it. Chuck Knoblauch and Rick Ankiel.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Even IF we were to win the Comedy Central, this team is so full of holes and inconsistency that the first decent team we face will make quick work of us (think: Tampa in 2008).

I'm not so sure about that. The Sox are 10-4 against the Indians, Rangers, Yankees and Red Sox thus far this year. The problem is- actually making the playoffs.

15 consecutive weeks of god awful hitting lead me to believe that he is not going to hit any time soon. I don't care what he did in 2009.

The fact that they're not 10+ games out makes it even more frustrating.

They could tweak a few things and win this division but BECAUSE they're not 10+ games out it gives management this stupid idea that standing pat and playing through and hoping it works out with the "mix" they have that they have a chance to win since this team as constructed isn't buried.

It's a catch 22.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
15 consecutive weeks of god awful hitting lead me to believe that he is not going to hit any time soon. I don't care what he did in 2009.

Or even 2010? Or how about 2008? 2007? WAIT! Gimme 2006!

What has happened with Dunn is beyond explanation. Everytime he strikes out, a part of me dies inside. I was 100% certain he was a- going to be a monster in the Cell, and b- lead a deep team into the playoffs and possibly to a World Series.

I swear, the White Sox are just jinxed in terms of big acquisitions, lately. The last one to work out was Jim Thome.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Well even that's arguably jinxed. Because that was supposed to make us even better than '05 on paper and for one half it did, and then it went over the cliff. Then came 2007. Gulp.

Yeah, but Big Jim was still pretty awesome in 2007 and 2008 (hello monster CF bomb in blackout game). I don't expect every season to wind up in a World Series, but I do hope that big time acquisitions can perform.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)

I do not believe he will hit in a White Sox uniform anywhere close to expectations. In fact, I am pretty sure we will never see a 40 HR/100 RBI season from him in a Sox uniform.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah, but Big Jim was still pretty awesome in 2007 and 2008 (hello monster CF bomb in blackout game). I don't expect every season to wind up in a World Series, but I do hope that big time acquisitions can perform.

Jim Thome was an absolute monster in 2006.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Jim Thome was an absolute monster in 2006.

When he hit that HR in the first game of the year, I honestly thought we would never lose a game. In fact, Thome's April that year was historic. He was on pace for some incredibly numbers.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking up at MIN by the end of the weekend. This offense just doesn't have it. Hasn't had it all year.

This feels like the worst point too. We're 10th in the AL in runs in July, we were 9th in June, 4th in May, 8th in April.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
actually, I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking up at MIN by the end of the weekend. This offense just doesn't have it. Hasn't had it all year.

The same thing has been said a few times now, over the last month.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
This feels like the worst point too. We're 10th in the AL in runs in July, we were 9th in June, 4th in May, 8th in April.

No clutch hits.

Plodders on the basepaths.

Pop ups galore.

Lots of DP grounders.

Chen is licking his Chops.