Sox can still win AL Central

southsider2k5

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing to me that people can look at this team, a team that's 8 over at 36-28 since May 6th, despite playing like s*** offensively, and say 'no chance, they don't have it' and then not evaluate MIN, CLE and DET the same way.

Cleveland is 30-35 since then.

Detroit is 36-27 since then, a half game better than the Sox.

Minnesota is 33-33 since then.

Nobody "has it". Nobody is running away with this thing. The Sox will be within 5 games all season. It is right there if they can ever wake up and take it.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
It's amazing to me that people can look at this team, a team that's 8 over at 36-28 since May 6th, despite playing like s*** offensively, and say 'no chance, they don't have it' and then not evaluate MIN, CLE and DET the same way.

Nobody "has it". Nobody is running away with this thing. The Sox will be within 5 games all season. It is right there if they can ever wake up and take it.

I wish you were my father. You might be the most optimistic person I know.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)

And still under .500 on the season so who cares what these teams have done since May 6th, that's just a random date to throw out there to make this team look better than they are.

You're right about one thing, the Sox will be within 5 games probably all the way until the end but they wont win this division. Should they? Absolutely. Will they? Nope, not happening.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)

John Bender: [imitating his Father] Stupid, worthless, no good, goddamn, freeloading son of a b****. Retarded, big mouth, know-it-all, asshole, jerk.

[imitating his Mother]

John Bender: You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.

[Father's voice]

John Bender: Shut up b****! Go fix me a turkey pot pie.

[His own voice]

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)

I'm not that optimistic. I wish people didn't have this tremendous double-standard when evaluating Central teams.

I've seen quite a lot of "Cleveland's just winning the right way, it's their year" WTF?

their record is s*** since their 20-8 start

There's not a good team in this division.

However, we're the most talented and we have the best rotation.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
And still under .500 on the season so who cares what these teams have done since May 6th, that's just a random date to throw out there to make this team look better than they are.

You're right about one thing, the Sox will be within 5 games probably all the way until the end but they wont win this division. Should they? Absolutely. Will they? Nope, not happening.

It's not a random date. It's a segment of the most recent 64 games in which the Sox have basically done better or as well as any other team in their division. For the first 33 they did worse than anyone in baseball, and if anything, that's what will cost them.

It's interesting, because if you just flip 3 key losses to wins (one game at min, one game vs. min, one game vs. kc) this team looks unstoppable in anyone's eyes since May 6. Instead, I feel as though a 3 game difference over 64 games turns them from "unstoppable" to "complete dogs***" in many people's eyes.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)

Hibbard you are assuming one thing maybe ... that we can beat Cle, Minn and Det head to head.

Well we finally took 2-3 from Detroit but now with Chen about to shut us down, we're losing 2 of 3 to KC ... again. This is after Minnie just abused KC 3 of 4.

It's hard to believe we are 36-28 since May 6, though. It seems we're a lot worse team than that.

What frustrates me is the fact KW and Ozzie apparently have faith that if they stay the course we'll win the division by one game. If we play at another 36-28 clip that's what will happen probably.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
The fact that they're not 10+ games out makes it even more frustrating.

They could tweak a few things and win this division but BECAUSE they're not 10+ games out it gives management this stupid idea that standing pat and playing through and hoping it works out with the "mix" they have that they have a chance to win since this team as constructed isn't buried.

It's a catch 22.

I've been saying this for a while. It sucks.

I swear, the White Sox are just jinxed in terms of big acquisitions, lately.

Yeah, I'm just curious. Can anyone name the other teams that the Sox beat out to shell out all the prospects and big bucks to acquire Jake Peavy,, Juan Pierre, Adam Dunn, Edwin Jackson and Alex Rios ?

I never read about any other teams really going after these guys. Hmmm.

And, that's what makes KW even worse. All of these guys could have been acquired for less than what the Sox gave up because every one of these teams were deperate to unload the contracts of these players. But, when KW wants a player thats all that matters. The cost doesn't matter to him. He will get the player at any expense. It is just so beyond stupid!

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
I swear, the White Sox are just jinxed in terms of big acquisitions, lately.

Yeah, I'm just curious. Can anyone name the other teams that the Sox beat out to shell out all the prospects and big bucks to acquire Jake Peavy,, Juan Pierre, Adam Dunn, Edwin Jackson and Alex Rios ?

I never read about any other teams really going after these guys. Hmmm.

And, that's what makes KW even worse. All of these guys could have been acquired for less than what the Sox gave up because every one of these teams were deperate to unload the contracts of these players. But, when KW wants a player thats all that matters. The cost doesn't matter to him. He will get the player at any expense. It is just so beyond stupid!

A lot of teams wanted Peavy, but Peavy refused to go most places. The Cubs especially made a hard run after him. Dunn had a big market, and Jackson has been wanted by a lot of organizations.

This thread reminds me of the simpsons episode when he made the pig for dinner, and the pig shot out the window, down the street, in the gutter, and finally shot into the ocean or whatever, and the whole time Homer is following it saying "Its still ok, we can still eat it, its still ok, i can clean it off"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
This thread reminds me of the simpsons episode when he made the pig for dinner, and the pig shot out the window, down the street, in the gutter, and finally shot into the ocean or whatever, and the whole time Homer is following it saying "Its still ok, we can still eat it, its still ok, i can clean it off"

:lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 07:34 AM)
A lot of teams wanted Peavy, but Peavy refused to go most places. The Cubs especially made a hard run after him. Dunn had a big market, and Jackson has been wanted[perhaps looked at?] by a lot of organizations.

Not true

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)

It's just a little dirty, it's still good.

It's just a little airborne, it's still good.

I don't mind the Peavy trade, JP, Jackson. Rios and Dunn... okay, busts.

But the most head-scratching acquisition in the annals of KW history I think had to be Manny Ramirez. I mean, WTF?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
I don't mind the Peavy trade, JP, Jackson. Rios and Dunn... okay, busts.

But the most head-scratching acquisition in the annals of KW history I think had to be Manny Ramirez. I mean, WTF?

Are you serious? That move cost zero prospects, only a few million dollars, and no long-term payroll flexibility. That team was dead in the water anyway and two seasons before he carried a Dodgers team on his back to the NLCS. It didn't work out, but it was worth a shot.

Not only CAN the White Sox win the AL Central, I'd argue they still SHOULD win it, all things considered (talent, level of competition, etc). But, due to all of the problems this organization has that we've went over thousands of times for years now to the point where it's just annoying, they absolutely won't win the division.

Edited by whitesoxfan101