AJ rated #93 of 94 in overall C's defense

southsider2k5

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2011/7/19...gs-july-edition

Overall Trailers: With Napoli no longer a full-timer, Jorge Posada a full-time DH (the "H" is pretty nominal at this point), and Ryan Doumit also in catching exile, it's a new crowd at the bottom. I just scrolled down to the bottom of my list, and was saddened to see J. P. Arencibia in last at -6.5 runs. His bat is decent for a catcher, but hopefully for Jays fans this is just a small sample blip or something is slipping through the net here, as his only real skill on offense so far his hitting for power. The ageless A.J. Pierzynski's bat is about the same as always, but with the run environment down, it's pretty decent for a catcher, and now with some of the above not catching much or at all, he looks like he'll be a regular down here, thus fulfilling his destiny. Tied with him is Jonathan Lucroy, which fits right in with the Brewers' tremendous "all bats, no gloves" strategy. Oh, yeah, Hank Conger is pretty bad, too, at about four runs below average, which totally explains why he's still sharing time with Jeff Mathis, whose glove remains awesome at -2.5 runs.

Caught Stealing Notables: Perhaps unsurprisingly, the top three catchers at gunning down runners are the three who lead the overall rankings: Wieters, Marson, and Shoppach. Pierzynski "edges out" Arencibia at the bottom, but Atlanta's Brian McCann pushes his way into third from the worst, just below Josh Thole, who at least has the excuse of having to catch a knuckleballer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Good think he's one of the best hitting catchers in the game.

AJ also calls a solid game, and his D behind the plate is good, too.

I guess that says a lot about catchers considering AJ is a slightly better hitter than Juan Pierre. He's acually worse at throwing out runners than JP is a stealing bases. I'm only being half sarcastic.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
I prefer not to think about his failure to throw out runners or be a bad defender. Maybe it's partially becasue our pitchers generally do a poor job of holding runners on?

It'd be nice if he could get the ball down to 2B on a fly every now and then.

Calling a sold game? so-so. A pretty good reciever? Yeah I think so. Can't throw anybody out? Absolutely! A good hitter? Grounds to second baseman more than any one I have ever seen. I also think he is a divisive personality in the clubhouse. Buerhle doesn't throw to him and he has had words with Peavey. He has a reputation for a reason.