Cooper hangs up on show after Dayan question

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
And his answer is very simple, "I don't deal with the offense, but feel free to talk to _________". There's no need to flip your lid and hang up.

I would have too if my team was f***ing terrible and it had nothing to do with what I control.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't have to go off. If he's doing a weekly radio spot he should know the cliche drill well.

Asked if Dayan would help or should get called up, he could say:

"We're all excited about Dayan. We enjoyed working with him in spring training and last season and I'm really happy the young man is having a good season. I haven't followed his situation too closely because as you know I work with the pitchers and we've got enough to think about every day.

We're all just coming to work every day trying to win ballgames. If he comes up that'd be great; if he stays where he is that's great, too.

Blah blah blah. It's easy.

What's he expect to be asked about on a radio show for a team that's underachieved like this one?

Either play the cliche game or don't do the spot every week.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
listen to his interviews. The guy is a jerk, personnel decisions or not. If you ask him any question about the pitching staff he takes it personally, as if you are questioning every one of his decisions.

Pretty much what a good majority of people on this board do with any White Sox decision. I'm sure it's true of talk radio also.

Why is Cooper working with Viciedo or even following him?

I guess thats what Im not understanding here, why does anyone think Cooper has an opinion on Viciedo? I doubt hes watching minor league film of the guy, I doubt that he has "worked" with him, so what circumstances does Cooper know about him?

Do you think that Walker would be a good guy to ask about pitching prospects?

As I said before, its an asinine question and it received the type of response youd expect to get. The announcers who asked the question knew it and Cooper knew it.

Sure Cooper could have given some sort of canned response, but to me thats more annoying. Cooper hanging up told you all you need to know, without him saying the words.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
Pretty much what a good majority of people on this board do with any White Sox decision. I'm sure it's true of talk radio also.

Don Cooper isnt getting paid to log on Soxtalk to do Q and A with us. And if he was, and acted as snarky and condescending on this board, im sure that the people asking the questions wouldnt appreciate it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Why is Cooper working with Viciedo or even following him?

I guess thats what Im not understanding here, why does anyone think Cooper has an opinion on Viciedo? I doubt hes watching minor league film of the guy, I doubt that he has "worked" with him, so what circumstances does Cooper know about him?

Do you think that Walker would be a good guy to ask about pitching prospects?

As I said before, its an asinine question and it received the type of response youd expect to get. The announcers who asked the question knew it and Cooper knew it.

Sure Cooper could have given some sort of canned response, but to me thats more annoying. Cooper hanging up told you all you need to know, without him saying the words.

And what about the hundreds of other questions in hundreds of other interviews and post game chats that he blew off or got pissed about?

You can harp on this one point, and I expect you to, thats what you do, but the guy has been an on air douche for a long time now. This is not the exception with him, this is the rule.

I dont know, youd have to ask the radio station who is allegedly paying him to be on air. If its such a big deal, they could consider him in breach of the contract and potentially terminate it. Last I checked his primary employment is with the White Sox as a pitching coach, not as an on air radio personality nor as media relations. If he is such a douche, the radio station should cancel the segment.

The thing is, the radio wants this type of controversy. If Cooper answered vanilla, there would be no radio show. Sensationalism sells.

And if Cooper was getting pad to do a Q&A with Soxtalk im sure there would be a rider attached that governed what questions could be asked, etc. Im sure there would be guidelines for how the questions were to be asked, and what Coopers rights were.

Lets stop pretending that we actually know the details of Cooper's engagement with the radio station, because we simply dont. For all we know it explicitly is in the contract that he can terminate the interview at any time if he chooses.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
I wouldn't consider it a waste of time. I would be very cordial though I wouldn't expect a response.

QUOTE (SoIL @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 07:14 PM)

1.) You could say you want Viciedo, KW will just say, 'Thanks for your input.' In this day and age, he can't give you some long answer. He might fear it would get posted on internet.

2.) Great post. It all boils down to, 'Just win baby.' Then they don't get the hard questions; they get the love.

How hard is it to understand that Cooper's weekly radio appearance is the closest thing the Score has to a weekly discussion with anyone in the Sox front office/coaching staff. Thus, why not ask him about what is far and away the most perplexing decision/non-decision that's surrounded this team in a long time? As Kylie said before, if it was just this one issue, then people would excuse Cooper's attitude. However, he's a jerk on the radio nearly every time he's on. And FWIW, the Score is playing the sound clip relating to Humber more than it is the Viciedo thing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
How hard is it to understand that Cooper's weekly radio appearance is the closest thing the Score has to a weekly discussion with anyone in the Sox front office/coaching staff. Thus, why not ask him about what is far and away the most perplexing decision/non-decision that's surrounded this team in a long time? As Kylie said before, if it was just this one issue, then people would excuse Cooper's attitude. However, he's a jerk on the radio nearly every time he's on. And FWIW, the Score is playing the sound clip relating to Humber more than it is the Viciedo thing.

So should the Sox fire him or something? Or do we need to continue to confirm that Coop's day job is a better fit for him than radio?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
So should the Sox fire him or something? Or do we need to continue to confirm that Coop's day job is a better fit for him than radio?

The Sox don't fire anyone. Their manager can call people f**s and humiliate fans with no retribution so why would they fire Don Cooper?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)

Humber certainly has looked human the last 2 starts.

If a major leaguer is gonna do radio/TV, he has to get ready and suck it up for those 10 minutes. Spout cliches if you have to, but just play the game for 10 minutes.

Some like Clint Hurdle seem to enjoy it. Oz seems to enjoy it for the most part.

If you hate it, don't do it. That simple.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)

Ha, I've always thought Cooper must really enjoy the extra cash from the radio gig...as he sure seems to hate doing it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
The Sox don't fire anyone. Their manager can call people f**s and humiliate fans with no retribution so why would they fire Don Cooper?

SO you're saying they should fire him for his radio appearance?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
SO you're saying they should fire him for his radio appearance?

Heck no (I know you weren't asking me). This entire thing is such a non-issue. Cooper's a bad radio guest...but most athletes are. Just a hyped up story on an off day where nothing else is going on.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
And what about the hundreds of other questions in hundreds of other interviews and post game chats that he blew off or got pissed about?

You can harp on this one point, and I expect you to, thats what you do, but the guy has been an on air douche for a long time now. This is not the exception with him, this is the rule.

Which is exactly why they found a nice and douchey question to ask him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Don Cooper isnt getting paid to log on Soxtalk to do Q and A with us. And if he was, and acted as snarky and condescending on this board, im sure that the people asking the questions wouldnt appreciate it.

I've never heard Cooper on the radio, so I have no idea how he comes across. The times I've seen him interviewed on television, I never noticed him being a d-bag. Is he a New Yorker, yes. But to me he just seems like a no nonsense straight talker.

My point is, and this is not directed toward you personally, if you are constantly/consistently being criticized, there's good chance you're going to get defensive and fed up with it, and right or wrong, it is likely to lead to an explosion. I'd rather see that than someone sticking their tail between there legs and slinking away. As someone else pointed out, it's likely that everyone from the fans, to players, management and ownership is fed up with this club's performance. I certainly was last night and had mentally composed letters to KW, Ozzie and the players about how pissed I am/was. I'm sure most anyone associated with the Sox is tired of answering Viciedo questions. There is more than enough frustration concerning the White Sox right now. A good loud ugly blow up may be just what this team needs.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
I don't see where you're going with this.

I'm trying to figure out what your platform is here. You are up in arms about his attitude on the radio, and.............

Otherwise you have zero point to your posts other than racking up your count.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm trying to figure out what your platform is here. You are up in arms about his attitude on the radio, and.............

Otherwise you have zero point to your posts other than racking up your count.

That he acted like an immature douche to a reasonable question regarding his employer.

I usually don't listen to Cooper on WSCR's podcasts because when I have heard him, I don't find him very bright or entertaining. He must be at least one of these things if the Score continues to pay him though. Saying that, he knows how to coach a pitching staff and generally gets the most out of his pitchers. He's clearly not a wordsmith though, and I'm sure he's frustrated. I also don't know how many questions there are to ask him each week - we know that Peavy's health is always a question, etc, but if I would be bored in his responses to how someone is throwing, I would probably not be very interested in him commenting on the offense.