DeAza with a .892 OPS in Charlotte

macsandz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As most of you know, promoting de Aza is one of my long held wishes for this "sinking ship". In fact, it's become almost a mantra with me.

Therefore I'm completely in agreement with this thread.

Moreover, if de Aza can prove that he can play at the Major League level, it solves next year's void regarding a lead off hitter. His numbers vs RHP are really impressive, as they were last season. Who knows, maybe he could even impress enough to convince management to dump Pierre now, rather than waiting for his contract to expire.

He can play CF, and that's another plus. It means that you could try to dump the Rios contract, and still have room for both de Aza and Viciedo.

I'd personally love to see de Aza in CF, leading off, with Quentin and Viciedo at the corners.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
No way doc, at least Erstad had the decency to get injured!

haha

I just read his bio, he was the first leadoff man ever to get 100 RBIs. didnt know that

but he still sucked

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
I'm still not convinced of this at all.

Your reply is interesting. I like Lillibridge a lot, but I think he is better suited for the super sub role and not playing everyday, but I could be wrong. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Your reply is interesting. I like Lillibridge a lot, but I think he is better suited for the super sub role and not playing everyday, but I could be wrong. :gosoxretro:

I think he will be a great utility guy, but a terrible starter.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)

I think what we're seeing this season is the end result of Lilli as a sub who plays a couple times a week...an incredible hot streak followed by a couple really down months.

My issue is...when a guy like Lilli gets into a slump, he's not likely to get out of it while playing once per week. That's why I say I'm at least curious what he could do with more consistent PT. If a guy can hit a streak like the one we saw from him earlier this season, that tells me there's some legit ability there which could be harnessed...the next step in harnessing it is some level of consistency, which he can't establish from the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
I think what we're seeing this season is the end result of Lilli as a sub who plays a couple times a week...an incredible hot streak followed by a couple really down months.

My issue is...when a guy like Lilli gets into a slump, he's not likely to get out of it while playing once per week. That's why I say I'm at least curious what he could do with more consistent PT. If a guy can hit a streak like the one we saw from him earlier this season, that tells me there's some legit ability there which could be harnessed...the next step in harnessing it is some level of consistency, which he can't establish from the bench.

Being a bench player and expecting someone to come out and be a consistent hitter especially is a true concern. Maybe even not a consistently good fielder. Lilli has had those times when he is just plain lights out and who can forget those great outfield defensive plays. Maybe he needs to get a chance to start in CF? I still have a struggle with that though. The full-time position that is. He may not be up to the grind of starting everyday, but is an excellent role player.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Being a bench player and expecting someone to come out and be a consistent hitter especially is a true concern. Maybe even not a consistently good fielder. Lilli has had those times when he is just plain lights out and who can forget those great outfield defensive plays. Maybe he needs to get a chance to start in CF? I still have a struggle with that though. The full-time position that is. He may not be up to the grind of starting everyday, but is an excellent role player.

Even if he struggles, will it be worse than what Rios is giving you right now? I'd like to give him the chance to show the answer to that question is "no." But De Aza is pretty intriguing, too. Didn't he have some ridiculously hot start to a season with the fish a few years ago?

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
Even if he struggles, will it be worse than what Rios is giving you right now? I'd like to give him the chance to show the answer to that question is "no." But De Aza is pretty intriguing, too. Didn't he have some ridiculously hot start to a season with the fish a few years ago?

No. Brian Anderson, Darren Erstad and De Aza would all put up better numbers than rios is.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
That about sums up one Alex Rios in a nutshell. To me he is one of the worst overall baseball players the Sox have had in recent memory. He inspires NO confidence at all. When he gets a hit it's like the worst kid on the little league team actually making contact...you're just happy he didn't spike himself.

Alex Rios is by far my most hated player on this team. He is pure garbage. Another in the growing list of Kenny Williams boondoggles.

The thing with Rios is that it's so clear, even to a guy like me, what he's doing wrong at the plate. He tries to pull every pitch, and he does it with a stance and swing that cannot cover the outside corner. So that's where he's pitched, and all he does is wave at the damn ball. Add to that he has no bat speed, and there you go.

I seriously laughed when Walker said last week that he was trying to get Rios to think "up the middle." First off, are we just realizing this, Greg? Second, why not get him to think "right field"? At least then, he'd be focused on facing his body to right instead of opening up constantly. God. Damn. It.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but maybe it IS time to try Viciedo and De Aza. DL Dunn and Rios, bring the kids up and see what happens. Who knows... maybe they'll be the much needed spark for this offense.

It's easy to do this, too

Either send down Lillibridge, or release Teahen. Bench Rios, and either bench or DL Dunn. Release Omar.

Call up De Aza, and Viciedo.

BOOM, WORLD SERIES.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
I don't get too excited about 27 year olds' stats in AAA although I agree, he can't be any worse than Rios. KW did say earlier this year he was a lot better player than most people thought.

That bolded part so much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
I don't get too excited about 27 year olds' stats in AAA although I agree, he can't be any worse than Rios. KW did say earlier this year he was a lot better player than most people thought.

If Rios is slacking in Chicago becasue he isn't happy - I think we wer told he had an easily brusied ego - maybe the team should eat part of his salary to trade him to someone in DIRE need of an outfielder? Let them renegotiate his contarct or something. I have been waiting for him to turn things around, but consensus seems to be it ain't gonna happen. Morel might be in line to return to AAA or trade Teahan. Trading Teahan seems to be more the possibility though. Bring up Viciedo and De Aza. The way the offense has looked we need somebody to stir things up. I belieev we have options and they don't include sending down Lillibridge or trading Quentin or a pitcher. However, we know that might happen too

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
AAA numbers don't always translate into a succesful major league career, but I am almost ready to try anything. De Aza certainly gives his all from what I picked up from Spring Training. Viciedo too. Maybe the infusion of those two fellows would jump start the team offesne, but heaven forbid if they struggled for a couple weeks getting their feet wet in the bigs. Who goes down or who gets released or traded? Morel down and maybe our non-existent DH to the injury list?

Send Lillibridge down.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
I wouldn't be sending Lilli down or trading him. He is needed in the role he plays and he has done well. You send down or trade non-performers

Lillibridge's stats are skewed because he had a few good games early. Nothing lately, while DeAza has played very well in AAA. Admitedly, I am still annoyed by his (Lilli) sleep walking play in Colorado, but it is also time to get over it, so I will. We can't send down our non performers (Dunn/Rios). On the surface, a Lillibridge/DeAza switch should not be significant, but the team is playing with such little pizzazz, maybe DeAza could provide some spark. Why shouldn't DeAza be rewarded?

Rios and Dunn have been allowed to be so bad for so long they would have no right to say a f***ing word if they were sat for the rest of the season for De Aza and Viciedo.

It could only help the Sox anyway. If they perform well then the Sox have more trade value. It's not like the Sox have any chance to trade Dunn or Rios. Let those guys bust their humps over the winter and make them win big league jobs in the spring.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Lillibridge's stats are skewed because he had a few good games early. Nothing lately, while DeAza has played very well in AAA. Admitedly, I am still annoyed by his (Lilli) sleep walking play in Colorado, but it is also time to get over it, so I will. We can't send down our non performers (Dunn/Rios). On the surface, a Lillibridge/DeAza switch should not be significant, but the team is playing with such little pizzazz, maybe DeAza could provide some spark. Why shouldn't DeAza be rewarded?

Sending down a player who can play 4-6 different positions, depending on how you view him at SS and 3B, who has a bit of pop in his bat and hustles his ass off sounds like the exact type of move that is going to spark a team to a division clinching run.

Lillibridge is out of options anyways and he's too valuable as a member of the bench to be outrighted. He's not going to go anywhere.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
It's easy to do this, too

Either send down Lillibridge, or release Teahen. Bench Rios, and either bench or DL Dunn. Release Omar.

Call up De Aza, and Viciedo.

BOOM, WORLD SERIES.

De Aza and Viciedo should come up. Dunn stays, Lillibridge stays. Omar could be released. Can Rios and Teahen be sent down? Maybe we get lucky and some one claims them on waivers. Also another possibility is put Peavey on the dl. He is contributing very little and no one would question it. Can they lose both Omar and Teahen? The infield would be a little thin especially at short and third.

Edited by since56

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
De Aza and Viciedo should come up. Dunn stays, Lillibridge stays. Omar could be released. Can Rios and Teahen be sent down? Maybe we get lucky and some one claims them on waivers. Also another possibility is put Peavey on the dl. He is contributing very little and no one would question it. Can they lose both Omar and Teahen? The infield would be a little thin especially at short and third.

No, Rios and Teahen cannot be sent down unless you're willing to DFA them, which means eating their entire contract.