Sox "uncharacteristically quiet" on trade front

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Based upon the lack of pitching available on the market, it would be silly to just give up Jackson for anything you can get.

With him looking to hit the market I think your going to get what you get even if there is a lack of pitching. As far as Carlos I think the only way you will see Viciedo soon is if he is traded.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Terry Boers Sox contact says Sox are "desperate" to trade Quentin and Jackson, and that top prospects arent being offered for either player. Says 7 teams have been in contact about those two players

I don't know why they would desperate to trade Quentin. The only thing I could think up is salary. They probably are really worried what he'll get next year, but unless they think he can't earn the money, with Konerko and Rios and Dunn on the books, there really isn't going to be a total rebuild, Quentin can help them win.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
With him looking to hit the market I think your going to get what you get even if there is a lack of pitching. As far as Carlos I think the only way you will see Viciedo soon is if he is traded.

Jackson will be a type B free agent so the prospect return would have to be better than the draft pick we'd receive.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Jackson will be a type B free agent so the prospect return would have to be better than the draft pick we'd receive.

You're not taking into account salary relief. We really have no idea where the Sox stand on that. They say they are broke, they bring in guys making 8 figures. They say the checks will clear, maybe they make salary dumps.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
You're not taking into account salary relief. We really have no idea where the Sox stand on that. They say they are broke, they bring in guys making 8 figures. They say the checks will clear, maybe they make salary dumps.

They'd save 2.5M...pretty minimal

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
I don't know why they would desperate to trade Quentin. The only thing I could think up is salary. They probably are really worried what he'll get next year, but unless they think he can't earn the money, with Konerko and Rios and Dunn on the books, there really isn't going to be a total rebuild, Quentin can help them win.

He doesn't even save them that much money this year. If they really want to deal him, they can wait until this winter and do much better for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
He doesn't even save them that much money this year. If they really want to deal him, they can wait until this winter and do much better for him.

If teams needing a bat for the second half don't want to give up anything of significance for him now, I don't see why that would necessarily change in the winter, but I do agree, at least with Quentin, it makes no sense to dump him unless your getting something useful in return. Jackson may be a different story if the Sox want to save a couple million and save the million or so the draft pick would cost. The one advantage you have in acquiring prospects is your are off the hook for their bonuses and you can already see some of their development and project what they may be.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
We better win at least 5 of 6 or lose at least 5 of 6. That way decisions can be made to stay in this or to bail out, instead of being caught in the middle.

I'll readily admit that I'm hoping for us to go on an extended losing streak and have been for a month. I truly believe it's better for our future.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)

Why would they be expected to do better for Quentin this offseason? He's cheaper now for a team making a run right now, he's healthy now (which you know is a risk 2 months down the road)...and most importantly, he doesn't have to compete with a bunch of other FA outfield options next offseason, there are only a handful of available OF bats right now.

I'd think you can get a lot more for him now than in 2 months. Unless he goes crazy and puts up a 1.200 OPS for August and September, which he can do but...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Why would they be expected to do better for Quentin this offseason? He's cheaper now for a team making a run right now, he's healthy now (which you know is a risk 2 months down the road)...and most importantly, he doesn't have to compete with a bunch of other FA outfield options next offseason, there are only a handful of available OF bats right now.

I'd think you can get a lot more for him now than in 2 months. Unless he goes crazy and puts up a 1.200 OPS for August and September, which he can do but...

I'm actually kind of shocked Quentin won't get you a good prospect, assuming Boers is accurate. Maybe teams are afraid of his arb number next year. If the Sox are "desperate" to move him like Terry says, they apparently are very afraid.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I'm actually kind of shocked Quentin won't get you a good prospect, assuming Boers is accurate. Maybe teams are afraid of his arb number next year. If the Sox are "desperate" to move him like Terry says, they apparently are very afraid.

Or maybe we're overvaluing him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
If teams needing a bat for the second half don't want to give up anything of significance for him now, I don't see why that would necessarily change in the winter, but I do agree, at least with Quentin, it makes no sense to dump him unless your getting something useful in return. Jackson may be a different story if the Sox want to save a couple million and save the million or so the draft pick would cost. The one advantage you have in acquiring prospects is your are off the hook for their bonuses and you can already see some of their development and project what they may be.

Once free agency kicks in, and teams lose players.

I'd think we'd be able to get something of real value in return for Quentin. Sure he's streaky, but he's still one of the better power bats on the trade market and he's under team control for another year. I'm sure he'd get a decent salary in arbitration for next year but that's still nothing compared to a lot of the overpriced contracts out there.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
I'd think we'd be able to get something of real value in return for Quentin. Sure he's streaky, but he's still one of the better power bats on the trade market and he's under team control for another year. I'm sure he'd get a decent salary in arbitration for next year but that's still nothing compared to a lot of the overpriced contracts out there.

That's a big understatement.