Sox "uncharacteristically quiet" on trade front

southsider2k5

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
The Sox are always quiet on the tradefront, what is Crasnick talking about. KW always surprises people when stuff happens

Agreed, although I'm sure he's nibbling on the edges to see what's available should he decide to add a piece, or move a few...not to mention that he's been extremely patient all season in sticking with this team and watching the results. I see no reason to believe that he'll suddenly decide to trade Jackson or Quentin until he absolutely has to, if that's what his final decision is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
We better win at least 5 of 6 or lose at least 5 of 6. That way decisions can be made to stay in this or to bail out, instead of being caught in the middle.

They don't have to do that. Detroit and Cleveland haven't exactly pulled away over the last month. Detroit is the better of those two, but I think the White Sox will continue to hang around, making it hard for Williams to pull the plug (Jackson and/or Quentin).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 22, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
I don't know why they would desperate to trade Quentin. The only thing I could think up is salary. They probably are really worried what he'll get next year, but unless they think he can't earn the money, with Konerko and Rios and Dunn on the books, there really isn't going to be a total rebuild, Quentin can help them win.

I don't think they will want to pay him with Viceido on the verge of breaking through. I think it makes sense to add a younger prospect for him given that this team is going to need to find money whereever they can.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
That won't change. Quentin and Jackson aren't players you give up your top prospects for unless you have the Brewers or WSox system.

I think you can get a B level prospect, but I doubt anyone is giving away their top of the line guys for either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
It depends on what were looking for as a top prospect. You're not getting Bryce Harper, but you should be able to get guys with solid careers ahead of them.

Yes we should. And if we can't don't trade. Jackson will net a supplemental (I think), another reason why he should yield something decent. And we have another year with Quentin if we don't trade him.

I can't imagine that we'd be "desperate" about trading either.

I really hope we don't have to trade Quentin, as at least he's productive (despite being streaky). Be a real indictment on Kenny if we have to trade one of our few productive players just to clear payroll so we can hang on to the albatross contracts of Peavy, Rios and Dunn.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
People really underrate Quentin on here, jeez

What's wrong with B grade prospects? Getting past the fact Carlos is a poor defender and has sustained an injury in pretty much every year of his professional career, are going to be tough hurtles for a team to get over in order to offer elite talent.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:27 AM)
What's wrong with B grade prospects? Getting past the fact Carlos is a poor defender and has sustained an injury in pretty much every year of his professional career, are going to be tough hurtles for a team to get over in order to offer elite talent.

Plain and simple, he should have way more value than Beltran in my opinion.

At this point, moving Quentin wouldn't be as much about who we get back, but more about getting Viciedo's major league career going. And not having to deal with Quentin in arbitration after this season. If they can get a couple low-level prospects with upside, I think that would be fair for Quentin.

Now if John Danks gets in play, I would want major league ready talent back. Or close to the majors.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
At this point, moving Quentin wouldn't be as much about who we get back, but more about getting Viciedo's major league career going. And not having to deal with Quentin in arbitration after this season. If they can get a couple low-level prospects with upside, I think that would be fair for Quentin.

That the Sox may have someone waiting to take his position should not affect what we get for him. Quentin's value on the open market is what his value is to other teams.

If that logic held, we should be able to get some really good players from other teams cheap, when they have prospects waiting behind them. But we never do.

Heck, we should have gotten Thome for salary alone from Philly, because they had Ryan Howard ready to go. But we gave our best pitching prospect and our starting CF who went on to sign a massive contract on the open market (still a good trade, but we gave fair value).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
That the Sox may have someone waiting to take his position should not affect what we get for him. Quentin's value on the open market is what his value is to other teams.

If that logic held, we should be able to get some really good players from other teams cheap, when they have prospects waiting behind them. But we never do.

Heck, we should have gotten Thome for salary alone from Philly, because they had Ryan Howard ready to go. But we gave our best pitching prospect and our starting CF who went on to sign a massive contract on the open market (still a good trade, but we gave fair value).

In that case though, there were other teams potentially after Thome. Minnesota was possibly in on that. Cleveland possibly too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Problem is the author makes the same mistake that he accuses pro-sabr people of making; he provides zero evidence except for a brief foray into discussing triples, without even analyzing why triples are such an odd stat. He just doesn't like the sabr people but he doesn't have any good reason why either.

Did you actually read the article?

Did you miss the part about not being able to actually run experiments?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
EJ and CQ are playing there last full weekend in a Sox Uni.

Trading CQ just to open a spot for Dayan is f***ing stupid. We could only hope Dayan is as productive as CQ. Right now, CQ is productive.

You want to add Dayan's bat and take out a lousy bat like dunn or Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
Trading CQ just to open a spot for Dayan is f***ing stupid. We could only hope Dayan is as productive as CQ. Right now, CQ is productive.

i hope one of these days you realize that the reality of the situation prevents what you think should happen. there are some hard constrictions that the sox have, and they are rios and dunn. and they arent going anywhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)

That the reality like it or not. Pierre is in LF rest of 2011, CQ is odd man out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:06 AM)
i hope one of these days you realize that the reality of the situation prevents what you think should happen. there are some hard constrictions that the sox have, and they are rios and dunn. and they arent going anywhere.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:32 AM)
That the reality like it or not. Pierre is in LF rest of 2011, CQ is odd man out.

I can't believe you guys can't see how ridiculous it is to trade CQ and merely put Dayan there. What does that accomplish? They are the same player potentially?

So we add some reliever for CQ? Or a couple minor leaguers? Stupid.

Trading one of two productive players in the whole lineup is a smart trade? Dumb as hell.

The only way I'd trade him is for a can't miss third baseman.

BTW read tonight's Chicago Tribune Gonzalez rainout article. Doesn't sound like changes are imminent. www.chicagotribune.com

CLEVELAND — With the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline one week away, manager Ozzie Guillen doesn’t see the need to acquire a player as long as the White Sox show improvement.

“A lot of people say we need this or that,” Guillen said before Saturday night’s rainout in Cleveland. “You know what we need? Our guys to play right and play (well). That’s my opinion.

“If they start playing (well), I don’t think we need anybody else. If we are not playing good, then (general manager) Kenny Williams could go a different way. If we don’t play good for the next couple of weeks, they could go in a different direction.”

Guillen said he hasn’t spoken recently to Williams, who didn’t accompany the Sox on their three-city trip that ends Sunday.

“I think he believes the way I believe, that we have a better ballclub than the way we’re playing,” Guillen said. “I still believe we have a better ballclub. We’re just not playing the way we think.”

The Sox have survived without a true long reliever since Jake Peavy threw four innings in an emergency appearance June 25. But Brian Bruney said he’s capable of throwing more than one inning if needed.

“You start throwing guys two or three innings at a time consistently, guys get fatigued,” Bruney said. “So in my opinion, it’s always better to give a guy an inning but keep him fresh. You give them more work, but you keep them sharp with maybe an inning or 1 1/3 innings rather than stretching guys out.

“But I feel comfortable with whatever they ask me because if I need to come in like I did when (John) Danks went down and throw (a career-high) 2 1/3 innings. I felt stronger every inning, I don’t mind doing it.”

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
I can't believe you guys can't see how ridiculous it is to trade CQ and merely put Dayan there. What does that accomplish? They are the same player potentially?

Trading one of two productive players in the whole lineup is a smart trade? Dumb as hell.

BTW read tonight's Chicago Tribune Gonzalez rainout article. Doesn't sound like changes are imminent. www.chicagotribune.com

CLEVELAND — With the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline one week away, manager Ozzie Guillen doesn’t see the need to acquire a player as long as the White Sox show improvement.

“A lot of people say we need this or that,” Guillen said before Saturday night’s rainout in Cleveland. “You know what we need? Our guys to play right and play (well). That’s my opinion.

“If they start playing (well), I don’t think we need anybody else. If we are not playing good, then (general manager) Kenny Williams could go a different way. If we don’t play good for the next couple of weeks, they could go in a different direction.”

Guillen said he hasn’t spoken recently to Williams, who didn’t accompany the Sox on their three-city trip that ends Sunday.

“I think he believes the way I believe, that we have a better ballclub than the way we’re playing,” Guillen said. “I still believe we have a better ballclub. We’re just not playing the way we think.”

The Sox have survived without a true long reliever since Jake Peavy threw four innings in an emergency appearance June 25. But Brian Bruney said he’s capable of throwing more than one inning if needed.

“You start throwing guys two or three innings at a time consistently, guys get fatigued,” Bruney said. “So in my opinion, it’s always better to give a guy an inning but keep him fresh. You give them more work, but you keep them sharp with maybe an inning or 1 1/3 innings rather than stretching guys out.

“But I feel comfortable with whatever they ask me because if I need to come in like I did when (John) Danks went down and throw (a career-high) 2 1/3 innings. I felt stronger every inning, I don’t mind doing it.”

It provides salary relief now and in the future, plus whatever Sox get in return for CQ.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)

Thanks Mr Obvious.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:54 AM)
It provides salary relief now and in the future, plus whatever Sox get in return for CQ.

Is it a 100 percent given we are trading CQ?

If we trade him we might as well go the whole way and bust it up completely.

It's hilarious for "salary relief" we have to trade our second best hitter because of ridiculous contracts to Peavy, Rios and Dunn. LOL. And Kenny has a job?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
I seriously hope we don't trade Q just to clear a spot for Dayan.

That is the worst thing they could do.

smoke screen, starting to think the whole CQ/Jackson rumors might be nothing but rumors