7/22 Games

scenario

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 03:04 AM)
Mitchell went 4/5, 2 2B, RBI.

Wilkins went 3/5, 2B, 3 RBI.

Semien 1/4, HR, 2 RBI

Ravelo went 2/4

Walker 3/4, 2 BB

Those are huge. He won't be a legitimate leadoff hitter without a high OBP, so it's nice to see him get his walk total up.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 04:38 AM)
I find it funny that Walker already has 3 CS in professional ball.

And my boy Nate Jones has quietly been a beast for a while unnoticed. Love his arm.

He will be undone by the Sox screwing with him. There was really no need to make him a starter last year. He has two pitches, that isn't starter material. And somehow the Sox moved him to starter (perhaps it was to improve a third pitch, who knows), but he had a poor year last year because of it. Seems like he is getting back in the rhythm he had prior to starting.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
He will be undone by the Sox screwing with him. There was really no need to make him a starter last year. He has two pitches, that isn't starter material. And somehow the Sox moved him to starter (perhaps it was to improve a third pitch, who knows), but he had a poor year last year because of it. Seems like he is getting back in the rhythm he had prior to starting.

Up until Reed, that has been the Sox philosophy. They try to build repeatability and arm slot before moving them to the pen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Up until Reed, that has been the Sox philosophy. They try to build repeatability and arm slot before moving them to the pen.

Exactly. It's a fairly common practice. It allows them to give guys they consider promising more innings of work for development purposes. It doesn't mean they're waffling between using them as starters or relievers. The number of quality pitches they have determines that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
That's not to say making guys temp. starters is a good practice. It is widely done though.

I am not a fan of it. I endorse the idea of keeping a guy a starter as long as possible then moving him to relief, but I don't think taking a reliever and making him pitch double the innings the next year as a starter is prudent.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
I am not a fan of it. I endorse the idea of keeping a guy a starter as long as possible then moving him to relief, but I don't think taking a reliever and making him pitch double the innings the next year as a starter is prudent.

The extra innings might well be a good thing for strengthening his arm early in his career as well, in addition to the "repetition" aspect.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
Why?

I guess I should have been clearer. I wasn't saying that I'm against it. I'm merely saying I don't buy that it helps guys. I don't think it matters all that much either way. Pitching as a starter is such a different thing from pitching as a reliever that I don't see if the extra reps are relevant or harmful.