Norway Attack

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
Sorry, I took that as a cynical response. I did post a Daily Telegraph link a few posts above. They actually bothered to contact a criminal law professor in Oslo. He can effectively be held indefinitely, similar to how other European countries' systems work.

So then it really isn't a 21 year maximum, and Norway is essentially lying when it calls it that.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
So then it really isn't a 21 year maximum, and Norway is essentially lying when it calls it that.

It's a 21 year maximum with the ability to make exceptions for extreme cases or people who haven't been rehabilited.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)

Similar story here

But again, their system is modeled on reformation, not punishment. It's not meant to be a "hard life" because they don't believe that changes the person into a better member of society in the long run, which is their ultimate goal.

Edited by StrangeSox

Norwegian reactions via Sullivan

Greenwald has a meltdown over the media's use of the word "terrorism" and how Al Qaeda is still at fault, even when the act was carried out by an anti-Islam extremist.

Also doesn't appear that this guy was "crazy" in the same way that Loughner was. His writings are coherent and make sense if you accept his premises. That's very different from the schizophrenic writings of Loughner.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
Norwegian reactions via Sullivan

Greenwald has a meltdown over the media's use of the word "terrorism" and how Al Qaeda is still at fault, even when the act was carried out by an anti-Islam extremist.

Also doesn't appear that this guy was "crazy" in the same way that Loughner was. His writings are coherent and make sense if you accept his premises. That's very different from the schizophrenic writings of Loughner.

That sounds just like Arizona. But never waste an opportunity... Ugh. Sometimes I hate people.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Wait, what? By whom?

I see no US politicians trying to gain anything from this. Show me one.

Another example of manufactured outrage by the Soxtalk Extremist Brigade

I dont think they were calling the article exploitative, I believe they were referring to the act.

The article is a waste of time, what else is new in the world, political parties are trying to use tragic events to their advantage.

You could write an article about the use of "revolutionary" "freedom fighter" "terrorist" "rebels" and how they in theory can be used interchangeably. But that is media, the irony is that all sides do it, they just use different words, different connotations, but the outcome is the same, framing stories, framing tragedy in a way that helps your cause.

Its a terrible tragedy, it doesnt matter what you call it.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
I think you'll need to explain what's exploitative about that article.

Really? I swear some days I live on another planet. That read is just dripping with agenda. Obviously so. Who cares if it is right or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Really? I swear some days I live on another planet. That read is just dripping with agenda. Obviously so. Who cares if it is right or not.

Well, sure, it's an editorial, his agenda is to point out the media's inconsistent usage of phrases like terrorism. Still not sure how analysis of media reporting is exploitation, though. I guess I don't get what you're objecting to.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)

I honestly can't even tell who you are saying is being exploitative here, or why.