Norway Attack

LittleHurt05

Are you talking about Greenwald? Even when I think Greenwald is being a melodramatic drama queen or an incessant drum-beater he's usually pretty consistent with his views on how the US media covers terrorism, etc.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A review of how plausible the link is and whether or not you've been distorted, and then hopefully deep introspection.

But we mustn't talk of motivating political ideologies in an act of political terrorism, no no! It's simply pure evil what done it, no need to examine his extreme-but-coherent writings and philosophies!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Serious question, since we're actually seeing examples of this happening right now.

Let's say you're a blogger/writer, and your work gets explicitly cited in the manifesto of a person who commits an atrocity like this one.

How do you react?

First off, here's a reaction of exactly that sort. Interesting commentary from Mark Steyn.

As for myself, I'm not ashamed of my views in any way. I don't preach murder or hatred. If some whackjob writes a manifesto before shooting a bunch of schoolchildren, and decides he likes a few quotes of mine about how welfare sucks, or illegal immigrants should do things the right way, or about how America is the greatest nation on Earth, and he decides to quote me...well, that's fine. It doesn't mean I inspired him to murder. He's responsible for his actions alone.

The guy quoted the US Declaration of Independence, among other things. That's not going to change my mind that the Declaration is one of the greatest things ever written.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
I started reading parts of his manifesto, holy s*** it was boring. Not as boring as the Unabomber's, but still pretty f***ing boring.

If you're gonna write one, might as well make it as badass as possible. Just a waste, otherwise.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
If you're gonna write one, might as well make it as badass as possible. Just a waste, otherwise.

Unless people read it, as many of you are actually doing.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
But the vast majority of terrorist actions in recent memory have been committed by followers of Islam. This doesn't change that fact, as much as some people might wish it did.

BTW this is categorically wrong.

As King Targets Muslims, There Have Been Almost Twice As Many Plots Since 9/11 From Non-Muslim Terrorists

Who Commits Terrorist Attacks In Europe?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
Not at all. The dude's a murderous whacko and he appears to have held some right wing views. But I just get the feeling that Strange was elated to hear this news that Breivik was a homegrown nutjob, and not a Muslim radical as is to be expected with these sorts of things, and that now he had some more ammunition to argue that rightwingers are the real terrorists.

And yes, rightwingers have done terroristic acts just like leftists have (the Weather Underground). Every side has scumbags, for sure. But the vast majority of terrorist actions in recent memory have been committed by followers of Islam. This doesn't change that fact, as much as some people might wish it did.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)

pwned

Edited by BigSqwert

Yet as a January 2011 terrorism statistics report — compiled using publicly available data from the FBI and other crime agencies — from the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) shows, terrorism by Muslim Americans has only accounted for a minority of terror plots since 9/11.

Anyone see an issue with the source?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
nope, but that goes right back to the core problem of assuming that most terrorists are muslims.

When was the last non-muslim hijacking of an airline? Or attempted anything of an airline? And the shoe guy was a Muslim.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
When was the last non-muslim hijacking of an airline? Or attempted anything of an airline? And the shoe guy was a Muslim.

Extremist religion is stupid. All of them.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

The guy who crashed his plane into the IRS building in TX last year?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)

First, an example from 10+ years ago? And the only things that count as terrorism are hijackings? Better inform the FBI and Europol, both of whom actually compile data on these sorts of things, data that doesn't agree with you. Greenwald's piece, which I linked to earlier, was partially about the extreme disparity in media coverage of terrorist acts, so you can't just rely on "stories I've heard on the news" as a good data set.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not-all-t...ts-are-muslims/

piechart2-1024x1024.jpg

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
First, an example from 10+ years ago? And the only things that count as terrorism are hijackings? Better inform the FBI and Europol, both of whom actually compile data on these sorts of things, data that doesn't agree with you. Greenwald's piece, which I linked to earlier, was partially about the extreme disparity in media coverage of terrorist acts, so you can't just rely on "stories I've heard on the news" as a good data set.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not-all-t...ts-are-muslims/

piechart2-1024x1024.jpg

Wait so 24% of terror groups are "Extreme Left Wing"? No wonder the media is always beating up on Muslims.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
Wait so 24% of terror groups are "Extreme Left Wing"? No wonder the media is always beating up on Muslims.

We're talking groups like ALF and ELF and then anarchist groups that have more in common with right-wing sovereign citizen/survivalist/supremicist nutter groups than either have in common with mainstream dems or reps

Actually at the bottom of this page there's a chronological list:

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publicat...005/terror02_05

I'm guessing, after skimming through, that the left-wing groups are ones that appear to be pro-South and Central American groups. ELF and ALF dominate the list starting in ~1999, mostly arson.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
We're talking groups like ALF and ELF and then anarchist groups that have more in common with right-wing sovereign citizen/survivalist/supremicist nutter groups than either have in common with mainstream dems or reps

Oh I know. The only party that allows extremists is the Republicans.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Oh I know. The only party that allows extremists is the Republicans.

Wait, what, this is in response to a post explicitly distancing republicans from right-wing extremist groups that commit acts of terrorism?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)

The second link is completely f-ed up. They count a murder of a single deli clerk as a 'terrorist attack/plot'? There are reports daily of Jews being attacked by Muslims (and others) that I don't see listed under the 'anti-Jewish' plots. It only lists one against Cantor. They are cherry picking data like most people do to prove a point.