Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Let's not kid ourselves with the value that Reed has, he's a RP prospect and those don't have a ton of value except in rare circumstances. He has more value to the Sox than anything, but that doesn't mean you'll get more for him.

No but if we were going to use him in a trade(obviously other pieces involved) it would be for a better bat.

Edited by Baron

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
Jackson, Thornton, AND Reed? Oh man, that would be a hard one to swallow, but assuming Rasmus can figure it out again, it would be a good trade for both teams.

f*** that, if we're giving up Thornton and what seems to be a potential up and coming lefthanded pitcher in our system, for a guy we don't have room for, they better be getting Rios along with those two pitchers.

Here's our problem:

Rasmus is a talented CF.

We have to play this kid everyday, we're not giving up that much talent for a kid to play off the bench. That is STUPID.

So one of two things has to happen:

1. Rios gets dealt, or has his playing time SIGNIFICANTLY (I'm talking 2 days a week, TOPS) reduced

or

2. Quentin is traded. THIS WOULD BE A HUGE MISTAKE.

Really, if you can get Colby Rasmus for the mistake that is Edwin Jackson, plus Matt Thornton's old ass, plus a relief spect, you do it immediately. This rumor clearly isn't true, or else Kenny would have made the deal already and then put TCQ on the open market.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
Really, if you can get Colby Rasmus for the mistake that is Edwin Jackson, plus Matt Thornton's old ass, plus a relief spect, you do it immediately. This rumor clearly isn't true, or else Kenny would have made the deal already and then put TCQ on the open market.

how the f*** does that make the Sox better this year?

You're saying Quentin isn't as valuable to this team as Rasmus would be, PLUS losing Thornton?

You're nuts if you think this.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Well the obvious better bat on the market is Beltran

IMO, despite what the Mets are saying, Reyes CAN be had. I would say there's probably a 70-80% chance he's traded because I think a team will overpay for him.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
f*** that, if we're giving up Thornton and what seems to be a potential up and coming lefthanded pitcher in our system, for a guy we don't have room for, they better be getting Rios along with those two pitchers.

Here's our problem:

Rasmus is a talented CF.

We have to play this kid everyday, we're not giving up that much talent for a kid to play off the bench. That is STUPID.

So one of two things has to happen:

1. Rios gets dealt, or has his playing time SIGNIFICANTLY (I'm talking 2 days a week, TOPS) reduced

or

2. Quentin is traded. THIS WOULD BE A HUGE MISTAKE.

Well obviously Kenny isn't going to trade for Rasmus just to bench him. It would be with another move coming that would send Quentin, Rios, or Pierre somewhere for prospects presumably.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
Rasmus has muchhhh greater value than Beltran.

Well depends on who you talk to it seems. I was talking about who is the better bat ATM though. Beltran clearly is the better bat.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
IMO, despite what the Mets are saying, Reyes CAN be had. I would say there's probably a 70-80% chance he's traded because I think a team will overpay for him.

Im not sure...who did you have in mind that would trade for him?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
Well obviously Kenny isn't going to trade for Rasmus just to bench him. It would be with another move coming that would send Quentin, Rios, or Pierre somewhere for prospects presumably.

that's my point, if quentin is traded, this move is epic fail

rasmus IS NOT BETTER THAN CARLOS QUENTIN, RIGHT NOW.

All IN implies THIS YEAR.

Reed might be only a relief prospect. But he's still extremely valuable because if he pans out you don't have to overpay in years and money for 'pen help in FA. Jesse Crain has been great. But the chances of him being good all three years are slim. And the goal is (at least I hope) for Sale to start. So that's two potential holes in the bullpen next year, assuming Thornton goes. It'd be foolish to trade Reed at this point.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)

ugh.

if you can trade carlos quentin for someone of beachy's caliber you do it in a heartbeat because we ALL KNOW how CQ can be god one year and trash the next. you have no idea what you're getting. if you can sell high and get a great arm/whatever else - I say you do it. Especially with us out of contention (which - lets be honest - we are)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
He's struggling this year, yeah, but the kid had a 133 ops+ at age 23 while playing elite defense in centerfield.

what about my post that said 'this year' wasn't clear?

quentin right now, this year > colby rasmus

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
ugh.

if you can trade carlos quentin for someone of beachy's caliber you do it in a heartbeat because we ALL KNOW how CQ can be god one year and trash the next. you have no idea what you're getting. if you can sell high and get a great arm/whatever else - I say you do it. Especially with us out of contention (which - lets be honest - we are)

posted a few days ago, Sox reportedly have 7 teams inquiring about Quentin, none of which are offering top prospects for him. Beachy has not been offered according to Terry Boers Sox 'guy', that he gets his information from

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)

I think if were doing these trades, we've already left the table.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)

In my mind, to hell with that. We're 100 games in and we're below .500. Yeah, anything can happen in the playoffs. I get that. But if we somehow do get there, the chances of us getting to the World Series are extremely remote. At some point this franchise has to legitimately look at long-term success. Not selling out every year in a futile attempt to win this crappy division. Because obviously it hasn't worked. I'm in favor of long-term success over an at best 50% chance of winning a s***ty division.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
Yeah, I don't thionk people quite realize Rasmus' potential, and the fact that he is controlled for 3 1/2 more years or whatever it is.

I also don't think some realize how bad Rasmus has been the last couple of months. People want to send Beckham down to AAA, they'd be saying the same thing about Rasmus. Also, I don't know where people get Rasmus is a good defensive CF. He is not. Potentially he's a great player, but a lot of things have to play out correctly for that to happen. He's supposed to have a meddeling father who works with his hitting on the field and I guess causes trouble on Cardinals' message boards. If the trade happened, Soxtalk probably would gain a new member.

Interesting new take on the deal, saying it's not Jackson AND Thornton, it's one or the other.

Looking to bolster their pitching staff, the Cardinals would be willing to part with talented center fielder Colby Rasmus for Edwin Jackson or Matt Thornton, and a prospect, according to the report. There is no indication, but it is presumed that the Cardinals would pick up the remainder of the contract on either Jackson or Thornton.