Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
He's better than that and you know it.

Now I can turn this back on you. You're so skeptical of Rasmus, yet you have this unequivocal faith in GB. I want them both. If you ask me who I think is a better, more skilled player, I'd say Rasmus without hesitation. But I want all the cost-controlled talent we can corral.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
He's better than that and you know it. Has anything Rasmus accomplished been negated by his performance since May 1?

I already said Rasmus has had a down year. Especially considering how well he performed last year. I'd still take him over Edwin and Thornton.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Now I can turn this back on you. You're so skeptical of Rasmus, yet you have this unequivocal faith in GB. I want them both. If you ask me who I think is a better, more skilled player, I'd say Rasmus without hesitation. But I want all the cost-controlled talent we can corral.

You wanted to get rid of Beckham a month or two ago. You wanted to give up on a cost controlled young talent. Now a guy with the same sort of performance issues is available and he's the greatest thing since tall boys. As I said, I would probably make the deal if it were true if I had reasonable assurances Rasmus can get along with Ozzie, his head is in the right place and his father isn't going to interfere. Beckham doesn't have those issues. He's a classy guy. Chances are eventually Rasmus is going to be a problem. I could live with it if it were down the road and he produced.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
You wanted to get rid of Beckham a month or two ago. You wanted to give up on a cost controlled young talent. Now a guy with the same sort of performance issues is available and he's the greatest thing since tall boys. As I said, I would probably make the deal if it were true if I had reasonable assurances Rasmus can get along with Ozzie, his head is in the right place and his father isn't going to interfere. Beckham doesn't have those issues. He's a classy guy. Chances are eventually Rasmus is going to be a problem. I could live with it if it were down the road and he produced.

I said that Gordon might not be the player we or the franchise thought he was. I never said just get rid of him. And if you do it better be for somebody of a similar ilk. No more old, past their prime vets.

Rasmus has been "garbage" since the end of April yet his OPS since May 1st is 25 points higher than Beckham's season long OPS.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
Yeah, batting average wise but Rasmus is still sporting a .329 wOBA which is well above league average (.315) and was a 4 WAR player last season with a .366 wOBA. Beckham's wOBA is at .297 right now and .305 last season, not good. The thing to love about Rasmus is his 11% walk rate the past 2 seasons with his K rate going from 27% last season down to 20% this season meanwhile Gordon's BB rate is down in the 5's (something he said he wasn't going to worry about this season) and his K rate of 18.5% last season is up to 19.3% this season, right there with Rasmus. You can argue the defensive side of things with Rasmus putting up below average UZR numbers the past 2 seasons and Gordon kicking ass at 2B but their offensive production isn't exactly comparable right now. And yeah, Gordon's a bust because he hasn't produced at all with the bat after excelling as a rookie meanwhile Rasmus is still doing certain things well and struggling with others coming off a very good 2010 at the plate (the .351 BABIP was concerning).

That's what I posted on the topic a few weeks back, not much has changed since then. It's the 11% walk rate that Rasmus sports, that's one of the big reasons why his potential is so high, even in a s***ty season when he's fallen apart over the past 2 months (his May was decent, dammit) he's still sporting a good walk rate and his K rate is down from last season, these are good things. Meanwhile Beckham's fallen apart over the past 2 seasons and we've seen his BB rate plummit and his K rate increase.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
Rasmus has been "garbage" since the end of April yet his OPS since May 1st is 25 points higher than Beckham's season long OPS.

That's what I posted on the topic a few weeks back, not much has changed since then. It's the 11% walk rate that Rasmus sports, that's one of the big reasons why his potential is so high, even in a s***ty season when he's fallen apart over the past 2 months (his May was decent, dammit) he's still sporting a good walk rate and his K rate is down from last season, these are good things. Meanwhile Beckham's fallen apart over the past 2 seasons and we've seen his BB rate plummit and his K rate increase.

Beckham hasn't been very good this year and is also a 2B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)

CF and 2B aren't considered 'offensive' positions. So I don't know where you're going there. I still think there's hope for Gordon. I never said he should be exiled or some s***. I've been very disappointed in his play for the last year in a half. I, like the entire fanbase, thought we had a star on our hands. The surest bet since Frank Thomas. So far, we've all looked foolish. But he's still young enough that you can still hold on to hope. Would I trade Gordon for the right package? Sure. Would I trade Gordon for Carlos Beltran? f*** no.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Isn't his performance a ? too after this season?

I'm sorry, I don't recognize the question as I don't recognize the avatar.

However, no, I'm not going to let 3 months define an up and coming kid who projects to be a superstar, just like I'd be nuts to think that Adam Dunn is a .160 hitter with little power.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:27 PM)
Which is totally negated by his replacement level performance this year.

Sounds like Edwin Jackson! Whom some folks want to hold on to despite the fact that he's walking after this year. Deal Jackson, go 5 man, profit.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)

Hey, honestly, I'd have a pretty positive outlook on our future with both Rasmus and Beckham in the fold. That's two guys who are going to figure it out and be a part of really good future White Sox teams.

This is what drives me nuts. Everyone heard "all-in" so they think the future means dick. The White Sox supposedly can land Colby Rasmus. My God, this is a kid who projects to hit .280 with 30 bombs and 30 steals yearly... he's had a 133 OPS+ season and is still just 24. The room to grow is apparent, and a change of scenery would do wonders for him.

Ugh, if the Sox pass on the chance to get him, I'll be very upset. However, I feel this "rumor" is just that, because if this offer is on the table and Kenny passes? Pish, bye bye baseball for me.

I just don't think this rumor has any truth to it. Kenny Williams deals either happen or they don't. You NEVER hear a peep about them prior to the trigger being pulled. That alone makes me think this ain't goin' down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)

I think Gordon's been pretty damn valuable this year. Gold glove defense and ok offensive production = pretty solid.

Assuming these rumors we've all discussed have been talked about between these teams and their GM's, whether it's Beachy for Quentin, Lowe for Rios, and Thornton/Reed/Jackson/whoever for Rasmus, couldn't the Sox acquire Rasmus and then trade Rios for Lowe?

The Rios for Lowe deal be a salary dump for both teams and this would allow the money to be evened out. At the same time, this would obviously make a spot open for Rasmus immediately.

FWIW, Lowe (this year) is of much more value to the Sox than Rios is. Rios has been garbage for the Sox this year and will most likely continue to. Meanwhile, Lowe is a dominant 2nd half pitcher in his career.

Pierre

Ramirez

Konerko

Dunn

Quentin

Rasmus

Pierzynski

Beckham

Teahen/Morel

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Lowe

Peavy

Humber

(in no order)

Granted, this may have been discussed already, but I've been out all day.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)
Hey, honestly, I'd have a pretty positive outlook on our future with both Rasmus and Beckham in the fold. That's two guys who are going to figure it out and be a part of really good future White Sox teams.

This is what drives me nuts. Everyone heard "all-in" so they think the future means dick. The White Sox supposedly can land Colby Rasmus. My God, this is a kid who projects to hit .280 with 30 bombs and 30 steals yearly... he's had a 133 OPS+ season and is still just 24. The room to grow is apparent, and a change of scenery would do wonders for him.

Ugh, if the Sox pass on the chance to get him, I'll be very upset. However, I feel this "rumor" is just that, because if this offer is on the table and Kenny passes? Pish, bye bye baseball for me.

I just don't think this rumor has any truth to it. Kenny Williams deals either happen or they don't. You NEVER hear a peep about them prior to the trigger being pulled. That alone makes me think this ain't goin' down.

I don't believe it does, either. But on the small chance it does, KW would be foolish not to pounce. I'm sorry. This is not a World Series caliber team. I don't give two s***s if they go 84-78 and win this division. Something that's very unlikely anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)

He wasn't very quiet when he went after Peavy.

You do the deal and don't look back. Maybe it was because I was a big fan of his as a prospect, but I LOVE Colby Rasmus. And for those saying he is Alex Rios, only in underachieving talent. Rasmus isn't lazy, has better plate discipline, not to mention cost controlled and is only 24 (I will say Rios is the better fielder though). Both were considered "bad attitude" guys (as well as A.J.) at one time too. Rasmus, Viciedo, Beckham, Sale, (maybe Morel for his defense) is a nice, cost controlled, building block with other guys the sox see fit to build around as well.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
I don't believe it does, either. But on the small chance it does, KW would be foolish not to pounce. I'm sorry. This is not a World Series caliber team. I don't give two s***s if they go 84-78 and win this division. Something that's very unlikely anyway.

I agree, but the Sox can help the future and help the 2011 team by acquiring Rasmus. Even if he doesn't play every day, a platoon of he and Rios is better than Rios every game.

For example, I think the Sox can go 84-78 with Rasmus, but it's going to be difficult to finish with 84 wins with Rios' horses*** AB's hitting 6th and Dunn's worthless a** hitting 4th.

For context this was the post I was referring to in the post I re-posted above:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Rasmus is hitting like Beckham and playing a little less than average defense. Its amazing Beckham is a bust but the Sox would have a hard time getting someone like Rasmus.

So you've invoked Beckham's name yet again in comparison to Rasmus and it seems Rasmus' defense has gone from "less than average" to Mackowiak-bad in the course of 2 weeks.

His D hasn't been good and he's struggled the past 2 months while pissing off his manager, seemingly because he doesn't care for McGwire but he's still young, crazy talented and doing certain things well on a whole that show off that potential such as his BB rate. If you're going to give up some major league talent and take a chance on a guy better it be a talented 24 year old who's having a bad year but is coming off a terrific season and will still be fairly cheap next year than a veteran making bank or a rental.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
He wasn't very quiet when he went after Peavy.

KW and the front office hasn't been quiet since "The Club" came around. Most of us knew about the Edwin Jackson deal early too.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
I agree, but the Sox can help the future and help the 2011 team by acquiring Rasmus. Even if he doesn't play every day, a platoon of he and Rios is better than Rios every game.

For example, I think the Sox can go 84-78 with Rasmus, but it's going to be difficult to finish with 84 wins with Rios' horses*** AB's hitting 6th and Dunn's worthless a** hitting 4th.

Well, say we trade Jackson and Peavy gets hurt or Humber remembers he's Humber, we could be in deep s*** for this year. But I don't even care. As pessimistic as I can be, I really deep down inside thought we could win this division with relative ease. Two games under .500 after 100 games pretty much tells you what kinda team you have. We're not even as good as the '08 team. And they won only 89 games.

How can anyone make a serious argument against a Edwin Jackson, Matt Thornton, and prospect not named Viciedo for Rasmus trade?

1. Jackson is gone after this year and Rasmus is much better than any draft pick we can get back in free agency. Plus, any money that can be save is a huge positive with the fat contracts of Rios, Dunn, and Peavy.

2. I am a big Matt Thornton fan, but he is 35 years old, his fastball isn't getting any faster (and that's bad for a 1 pitch pitcher), and is owed 12 million guaranteed for the next 3 years. The Dunn, Rios, and Peavy contracts can potentially really handicap this team and saving money needs to be a top priority, at least I think so.

3. Any prospect in this system outside of Viciedo isn't a huge loss. Might someone like Reed turn into a stud reliever? Maybe, but the chances of that are similar to the odds of Rasmus becoming a perennial all star in CF. Its always a gamble with most prospects and young players. And, I guarantee Reed has no where near as much trade value as people tend to believe he does. Right handed relief prospects who aren't like Neftali Feliz usually aren't considered big time gets.

4. This organization needs as many good, young, and locked up players as possible.

I understand the concerns with such a trade, but I see more positives than negatives.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Really, if you can get Colby Rasmus for the mistake that is Edwin Jackson, plus Matt Thornton's old ass, plus a relief spect, you do it immediately. This rumor clearly isn't true, or else Kenny would have made the deal already and then put TCQ on the open market.

Yikes...

I don't quite get it why no wants to look at the value of pitching in this market right now...

How can anyone make a serious argument against a Edwin Jackson, Matt Thornton, and prospect not named Viciedo for Rasmus trade?

Because that is overpaying for a guy who is struggling and in LaRussa's doghouse.

Is it too much to ask Kenny to win some of these trades decisively???