Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
You wonder why STL wants to deal Rasmus, Jay is 2-2 with 2 walks so far today with Holliday and Berkman he is the odd man out for much needed pitching.

Rasmus is 2-3 with a HR, a BB and 2 R.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I don't see how trading for two cheap, young major league players is a sign of us bowing out of the division race.

It'd depend on the return for Quentin, but if it would be for Beachy, then we really haven't changed the makeup of the team for the division race.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Coming into 2011, Adam Dunn was one of the most consistent players in baseball.

Hmmm yeah.........

Here we have a player that had an ops .852 when he was 24.....

I'd be THRILLED at adding a premium, young, cost-controlled talent like Rasmus at the cost of a pitching enigma that we're going to lose after this season anyway and a 35-year old reliever who will no longer be the bargain he's been starting next year. This team needs young talent that it can control multiple years like I need this six-pack of MGD I'm about to destroy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
I'd be THRILLED at adding a premium, young, cost-controlled talent like Rasmus at the cost of a pitching enigma that we're going to lose after this season anyway and a 35-year old reliever who will no longer be the bargain he's been starting next year. This team needs young talent that it can control multiple years like I need this six-pack of MGD I'm about to destroy.

I agree with 100% of this post.

I agree with J4L for once. Edwin is not coming back (you can thank Humber for making that decision easy) and I think as much as all of us love Matt in the bullpen, the whole cost vs return thing swings in the wrong direction in a hurry.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Delmon Young has a .826 OPS last season and is still 25 years old.

What is he doing this year and the other years?

Rasmus had a nice OPS as a 23 year old. So what. Mark Teahen put up an .874 OPS as a 24 year old.

If the Cardinals trade him, there's a bigger reason other than he doesn't like Tony LaRussa.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
This is a move you gotta make if it's real.

I obviously want to win this year. But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that whoever wins this joke of a division will be nothing more than first round fodder for the Red Sox. If you can make a move that makes you better in '12, '13 and '14, even at the risk of coming up short this year, you do it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
I obviously want to win this year. But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that whoever wins this joke of a division will be nothing more than first round fodder for the Red Sox. If you can make a move that makes you better in '12, '13 and '14, even at the risk of coming up short this year, you do it.

Meh. Anything could happen in the playoffs. We still did sweep that Boston team at Fenway.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
I thought this was especially interesting considering the current White Sox fan debate over coaching. From espn.com:

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has lost faith in Rasmus, in part for his tendency to use outside coaching help for his hitting.

Then he would be very much ideal for us, as he would not have to listen to Greg Walker.

The deal could make the Sox better this year. Right now Rios/Dunn have been bad. If you bring in Rasmus he can play CF (Rios gets more days off) and some days you can have Rios in RF with CQ DH (Dunn gets more days off). You also can try and play match ups more etc. Jackson has definitely been solid, but the Sox need to score more runs consistently if they want to win.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
I thought this was especially interesting considering the current White Sox fan debate over coaching. From espn.com:

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has lost faith in Rasmus, in part for his tendency to use outside coaching help for his hitting.

This actually makes me want to get Rasmus more.

But wouldn't you want to see what the market would bear for them individually?

There is no way the sox are interested in trading thornton. You dont trade away quality relievers, left handed relivers, when you are in the middle of a divisional race in late July. Now Jackson for Rasmus I could see that for sure. We all know the cards have been missing an arm all year with Wainwright. I could see the trade expand a bit to in include throw ins or prospects, but my opinion is only Jackson for Rasmus really makes sense for the sox. Can they take Rios too, we will eat half????

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)

You mean like the Giants were last year?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
But wouldn't you want to see what the market would bear for them individually?

Sure. I'm just giving my opinion on this particular rumor. I don't even think it's legit to be honest. I've never been an Edwin Jackson fan. And Matt's stock has dropped some this year. And he's making upwards of $6 million starting next year. That's a lot for a guy that crapped his pants when he was asked to close.