Humber to the Bullpen per Ozzie

joeynach

I just saw on White Sox Postgame Ozzie said Humber was going to bullpen and the sox were going go with a 5 man rotation into their next offday. There was no real reason given and Garfein and Melton didnt really expand on this at all. So that being said, what the hell is this all about. Why are the sox making this change to their rotation. Is Humber up against some IP wall? Have teams begun to figure him out?

This is how we treat people who put up the best ERA on our staff. The only way they'll learn not to do that is if we send them to the pen.

Slightly more seriously, yeah, he's thrown 113 innings this year and never thrown more than 140ish if you count the several years of 100+ innings in the minors. So there's something of an innings issue here.

The more realistic answer though is that he gets through 5 innings expertly, but starts to lose it when he gets to 6 innings/90 pitches. Ozzie doesn't seem to have the ability to process that some pitchers aren't conditioned for 110 pitches, so he leaves Philip out there to struggle when his arm starts wearing out with no backup in the bullpen, and Philip winds up taking the loss because of it. Peavy is getting the same treatment.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
I think the more realistic answer is that Humber may be tiring and the Sox want to give him a 1 week break. Unlike other teams the Sox have the luxury of giving a guy a week break.

hope you are right but never know with this organization

I think the more realistic answer is that Humber may be tiring and the Sox want to give him a 1 week break. Unlike other teams the Sox have the luxury of giving a guy a week break.

That's what I've been assuming. I think they just want to give him a little rest and not pile on too many innings and ruin a good thing. I don't believe he has every gone over 150 innings in any season, and usually is around 130. He is currently at 113, so they probably don't want him to be hitting his wall in September when we need him most.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
This is how we treat people who put up the best ERA on our staff. The only way they'll learn not to do that is if we send them to the pen.

Slightly more seriously, yeah, he's thrown 113 innings this year and never thrown more than 140ish if you count the several years of 100+ innings in the minors. So there's something of an innings issue here.

The more realistic answer though is that he gets through 5 innings expertly, but starts to lose it when he gets to 6 innings/90 pitches. Ozzie doesn't seem to have the ability to process that some pitchers aren't conditioned for 110 pitches, so he leaves Philip out there to struggle when his arm starts wearing out with no backup in the bullpen, and Philip winds up taking the loss because of it. Peavy is getting the same treatment.

You know I said the same thing about Peavy to Matt Spiegel and Bernstein on 670 The Score. I tweeted at them the other day and there were talking about it on both their shows. Peavy in pitches 76-90 has a BAA of .440 and in pitches 91-105 has a BAA of .420. My point was that while I looked that up on Yahoo Sports, you could tell Peavy has problems from about the 5th on by just watching, he looses it and apparently everyone know it accept for Peavy and Ozzie. Spiegel said that this really points to durability issues with his arm (obviously from all the injuries) and this type of trend really points to a converted reliver or closer...see Kerry Wood!! Though I do feel for Ozzie, can he really have 2 starting pitcher who cant pitch after 75 pitches, wtf is anyone supposed to do about that. What can he besides hope they can somehow get through their 5th/6th inning struggles, you can have 2 of your 6 starters pitch 4 innings every single time out, that would destroy the bullpen and cost more games in the end. Though that being said I do agree if you see Peavy and Humber out there in the 5th or 6th innings without someone warming in the pen, bad things are going to happen, guranteed.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
You know I said the same thing about Peavy to Matt Spiegel and Bernstein on 670 The Score. I tweeted at them the other day and there were talking about it on both their shows. Peavy in pitches 76-90 has a BAA of .440 and in pitches 91-105 has a BAA of .420. My point was that while I looked that up on Yahoo Sports, you could tell Peavy has problems from about the 5th on by just watching, he looses it and apparently everyone know it accept for Peavy and Ozzie. Spiegel said that this really points to durability issues with his arm (obviously from all the injuries) and this type of trend really points to a converted reliver or closer...see Kerry Wood!! Though I do feel for Ozzie, can he really have 2 starting pitcher who cant pitch after 75 pitches, wtf is anyone supposed to do about that. What can he besides hope they can somehow get through their 5th/6th inning struggles, you can have 2 of your 6 starters pitch 4 innings every single time out, that would destroy the bullpen and cost more games in the end. Though that being said I do agree if you see Peavy and Humber out there in the 5th or 6th innings without someone warming in the pen, bad things are going to happen, guranteed.

Having 2 starters who can only give 5.1 ish innings really isn't that bad...if you're throwing out a 5 man rotation and a 7 man bullpen. That's where the 6 man rotation is really hurting us...we don't have the extra bullpen arm to throw out there to cover that extra inning.

Of course, someone will reply to this "Thats why Humber is going to the bullpen", which kind of would miss the point. Even if this is just a temporary thing, if he can give you 5 great innings and an iffy start to the 6th every time out, then he's building up his arm for next year and giving you good innings for this year. Skipping 1 start I don't mind, working him out of the bullpen seems to miss the point of skipping a start.

This. I think people are making too big of a deal out of this. He struggled his last two starts, maybe they think he needs a break. They are gonna go through one turn of the rotation and re-assess. I'm sure Peavy will get hurt by then anyway, and Humber will be starting again, lol.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
This. I think people are making too big of a deal out of this. He struggled his last two starts, maybe they think he needs a break. They are gonna go through one turn of the rotation and re-assess. I'm sure Peavy will get hurt by then anyway, and Humber will be starting again, lol.

Don't you mean one bad start and one bad inning??

you left out:

"Temporarily," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Humber's bullpen move. "I think Humber needs a little bit of a break, that's the only reason we're doing it.

"And I don't want those guys to miss starts. I don't want them to stay that long. That's a lot of days without throwing and then we can use this kid out of the bullpen, because he's the only one we can use out of the bullpen. Last time we used Peavy out of the bullpen, he got in trouble."

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)

I think Fathom noticed last start Humber was really struggling with his form falling off the mound or however Fathom worded it.

I noticed that as well his past 2 starts. I thought he was struggling some.

He also looked flustered out there.

He's been great, but a rest might be in order.

Then again, I liked Coop's comments about how he just has to suck it up and continue to pitch well.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
you left out:

"Temporarily," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Humber's bullpen move. "I think Humber needs a little bit of a break, that's the only reason we're doing it.

"And I don't want those guys to miss starts. I don't want them to stay that long. That's a lot of days without throwing and then we can use this kid out of the bullpen, because he's the only one we can use out of the bullpen. Last time we used Peavy out of the bullpen, he got in trouble."

Thank you.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Peavy worked out of the bullpen and still made his next start.

Im pretty sure they just want to cut down innings, so if Humber pitches 1-2 out of the pen this week instead of 10-12 thats a significant reduction of stress.

As much as I want to be up in arms about this move, I think badger is spot on here.

Move along everyone, no need to lose your s***. Humber is tiring, give him a little rest here this week since next week chances are we won't have Edwin Jackson on the roster.