Tigers @ Sox 7/25/11 Gamethread

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldnt surprise me if KW has a certain number in his mind, of how many games out of first we need to be in order to not start dumping salary, but this is good for the Sox right now. If we're competitive over the next 2-3 series, teams might have to give up more talent to get our guys, KW could play the 'well, ive not decided to sell yet' card, vs if we just start bombing out of the race, KW loses most of his hand unless he has teams bidding against each other for our guys

Edited by Real

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
You've got a closer for a reason. And everybody knows what happens to closers in non-save situations. Even the best lose that edge.

Huh? He is actually using the situation to keep some pressure off of Santos by leaving the LHP in there to get the LHH out thus making the situation easier for Santos.

If the other manager goes to a RHH, Guillen pulls the LHP and brings in Santos.

It is actually a very good strategy.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
check it out - Cuddyer pitching in the 8th

So that's the All-Star pitcher they were gonna get.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
That was as bad as you will ever see Miguel look.

Sergio's change up to Cabrera last year?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Huh? He is actually using the situation to keep some pressure off of Santos by leaving the LHP in there to get the LHH out thus making the situation easier for Santos.

If the other manager goes to a RHH, Guillen pulls the LHP and brings in Santos.

It is actually a very good strategy.

If I were Sergio, all that would do is say Ozzie doesn't trust me enough to even attempt the save.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
not if youre rebuilding

Why would you get rid of Quentin, even if you ARE rebuilding? I don't understand the logic. He's 28. He is one of the best hitters the Sox have. He seems to have bounced back pretty well from the injury issues. Trade away a known commodity, for unknown prospects that may or may not be as good as the guy they are trading away? Sounds pretty stupid to me. See what he's looking for as far as salary when the season is over, and go from there. At the very least, you bring up DV and see what he can do before trading away one of the very few power hitters the Sox have. If the salary he is going to command is an issue, get Rios the f*** out of here first and foremost. Trading CQ away will be just one more position the Sox need to fill next season. I just don't get it.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:34 AM)
If I were Sergio, all that would do is say Ozzie doesn't trust me enough to even attempt the save.

1.) It's about winning. It's his first year as a closer.

It's worked perfectly. Sergio should be happy. He was nasty tonight. Sale was great too. Who cares that he doesn't get a save?

Great last post on CQ.

If the Sox trade him, it would make zero sense. Zero. Be creative with trades. Don't deal your second best hitter on a team DYING for offense.

Plus he's still young like you said.

QUOTE (Paulie4Pres @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
Why would you get rid of Quentin, even if you ARE rebuilding? I don't understand the logic. He's 28. He is one of the best hitters the Sox have. He seems to have bounced back pretty well from the injury issues. Trade away a known commodity, for unknown prospects that may or may not be as good as the guy they are trading away? Sounds pretty stupid to me. See what he's looking for as far as salary when the season is over, and go from there. At the very least, you bring up DV and see what he can do before trading away one of the very few power hitters the Sox have. If the salary he is going to command is an issue, get Rios the f*** out of here first and foremost. Trading CQ away will be just one more position the Sox need to fill next season. I just don't get it.

because his arbitration value is getting up there, and rios dunn and peavy contracts could be forcing kennys hand, since he may believe he can get similar performance from viciedo+whatever we get in return for CQ

OMG, for the last f***ing time we can't get rid of Rios right now. Why in god's name would any team want him at the moment? He sucks and makes a s***load of money! Plain and simple, we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future. Please no more "let's dump Rios" proposals, because he'd already be long gone if we could move him.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
because his arbitration value is getting up there, and rios dunn and peavy contracts could be forcing kennys hand, since he may believe he can get similar performance from viciedo+whatever we get in return for CQ

So dump the guy that might actually be worth what he's paid next season...and keep all the overpaid, underachieving, or perpetually injured jackasses. Makes sense. :bang

QUOTE (Paulie4Pres @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
So dump the guy that might actually be worth what he's paid next season...and keep all the overpaid, underachieving, or perpetually injured jackasses. Makes sense. :bang

uh, how do you NOT keep rios, peavy, dunn? NOBODY WILL TAKE THEIR CONTRACTS.

please tell me you arent one of those morons that keeps yelling to send Dunn and Rios to AAA

Edited by Real

Regarding the no-save for Santos, frankly it's refreshing that the manager doesn't have to be a slave to the save stat because it's so tied to incentives for established closers. Ozzie can actually get the matchups he wants, as all managers should, but don't, due to a ridiculous statistical construct.

Don't change a thing in this regard, Ozzie.

Then you live with your dumb ass mistakes and eat their contracts. Trading away CQ just makes this team weaker. How much money do they lose when attendance falls to the basement, if they trade away CQ and go into rebuild mode? Suck it up and just deal with it, and hope those clowns get better. There are a lot more disposable pieces on this roster, making pretty big money, with some value, that you dump before CQ. I guess I'm just used to an owner over on Madison that actually cares about winning. You know, the guy that ate nearly 6 million last season to dump Huet in Europe, and will do the same this season? If Rios was a hockey player, he'd be in the AHL right now, and never play in the big show again.

I hate the finances of baseball. Trading away GOOD players because you have a bunch of overpaid bums on the roster is f***ed up. Maybe what we really need on the South Side is a new owner.

QUOTE (Paulie4Pres @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
Then you live with your dumb ass mistakes and eat their contracts. Trading away CQ just makes this team weaker. How much money do they lose when attendance falls to the basement, if they trade away CQ and go into rebuild mode? Suck it up and just deal with it, and hope those clowns get better. There are a lot more disposable pieces on this roster, making pretty big money, with some value, that you dump before CQ. I guess I'm just used to an owner over on Madison that actually cares about winning. You know, the guy that ate nearly 6 million last season to dump Huet in Europe, and will do the same this season? If Rios was a hockey player, he'd be in the AHL right now, and never play in the big show again.

I hate the finances of baseball. Trading away GOOD players because you have a bunch of overpaid bums on the roster is f***ed up. Maybe what we really need on the South Side is a new owner.

they are eating their contracts, they're still being paid by the sox whether they play or get cut

nobody in their right mind would release Rios or Dunn in this situation, especially Reinsdorf

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
they are eating their contracts, they're still being paid by the sox whether they play or get cut

nobody in their right mind would release Rios or Dunn in this situation, especially Reinsdorf

Well, then someone explain to me why Dunn and Rios continue to play. I can think of one reason, and one reason alone. They aren't paying those guys that much money to ride the bench, or admit they made mistakes with them. You replace those two with ANYONE else, and the Sox are likely a better team, possibly even in first place right now. As I've mentioned, B. Anderson is an upgrade over Rios at this point... Dreadful. Bringing up DV and giving him the full time DH spot until he shows he can't hack it there, is probably a HUGE upgrade over 2011 Adam Dung.

The ownership/management of this team obviously DOESN'T care about winning, because if they did, they have options in house to get those two out of the lineup and help our pathetic offense.

Trading away one of the few guys that actually looks like he cares out there, and is performing, sends what kind of message? That the Sox welcome lazy underachievers, and will pay them big money to play every day and suck? That they won't pay and keep guys that perform and actually earn their money? Awesome.

Pierre comes off the books next season. $8.5 mil

Buehrle comes off the books: $14 mil

Teahen isn't worth $500k, let alone the $5.5 mil we're paying him.

Thornton will make $5.5 mil next season, and likely has good value.

There are other options.

But let's trade away CQ... Ok.

QUOTE (Paulie4Pres @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 04:52 AM)

Amen, brother.

I agree with everything you write on CQ.

One of the only decent hitters on the team and we deal him. Real smart.

Your words are truly wise. Keep writing 'em.

QUOTE (Paulie4Pres @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
Why would you get rid of Quentin, even if you ARE rebuilding? I don't understand the logic.

There is not a lot of logic to be found in many of the trade ideas because a lot of guys cream their jeans every July hoping kw will treat this team like they do their fantasy teams. They'd love to stay in a constant state of turnover acquiring prospects, the perpetual youth movement.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 05:58 AM)
There is not a lot of logic to be found in many of the trade ideas because a lot of guys cream their jeans every July hoping kw will treat this team like they do their fantasy teams. They'd love to stay in a constant state of turnover acquiring prospects, the perpetual youth movement.

I agree with that as well.

I mean this team is full of a lot of loads of dung and for the life of me I can't understand why somebody would want to deal our second best hitter.

And Rasmus has Rios written all over him. I don't care if he was a first-round pick. Jackson for Rasmus. Yes. Matt for Rasmus yes. No more than that.

1.) He is a huge injury concern.

2.) He is beyond bi-polar with the bat.

3.) He isn't getting any younger or cheaper.

4.) His defense is suspect.

5.) We have a potentially (keyword!) better replacement waiting in the wings.

Then again, you only do such a trade if you can get a really good young pitcher back in return.