Yankees scouting Edwin

southsider2k5

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Suprised you included Richard. Quite the product of the ballpark out there. A 5.30 ERA away from Petco stinks in my book.

Ya, Richard is not good. Gio and Huddy on the other hand...

QUOTE (shlammajamma @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Clayton Richard's 1.4+ whip every season sure is impressive

Clayton Richard for Peavy (which is effectively what the trade ended up being) gets done 100% of the time.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Clayton Richard for Peavy (which is effectively what the trade ended up being) gets done 100% of the time.

Unless the acquiring GM looks at Peavy's contract and realize he's injured at the time of the deal.

@JackCurryYES

Jack Curry

Yankees think Edwin Jackson is solid, but aren't pursuing now. They have interest in Hiroki Kuroda. Keep insisting they won't overpay

22 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

Retweeted by FMarrero22 and 7 others

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Unless the acquiring GM looks at Peavy's contract and realize he's injured at the time of the deal.

People keep bringing this up like he was coming off Tommy John surgery....he had a f***ing bum ankle from running the bases and was 2 years removed from a Cy Young award.

I really don't see anything happening here. The Yankees are a different beast. They don't have to do a thing and they're still going to the playoffs. It's WS or bust with them. Does Edwin Jackson give them a better chance of matching up with Texas and Boston? They're not giving up a top prospect for a #4 starter.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
Jackson would arguably be a 2/3 on the Yankees.

Would you really start Freddy and Colon if you think you are a World Series contender?

I know they have been good this year, just seems like a wreck waiting to happen.

Would you really trust Edwin on the October stage against those two offenses? Even if theoretically you could say he'd be a slight upgrade. It's certainly not worth a top prospect. I'd honestly call up the Mariners and say pick any three guys from our system.

Obviously talking about King Felix here.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
I really don't see anything happening here. The Yankees are a different beast. They don't have to do a thing and they're still going to the playoffs. It's WS or bust with them. Does Edwin Jackson give them a better chance of matching up with Texas and Boston? They're not giving up a top prospect for a #4 starter.

The Yankees could give a s*** less about the playoffs. They need to win the World Series or they are considered a failure. That's why they are looking for more help.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
The Yankees could give a s*** less about the playoffs. They need to win the World Series or they are considered a failure. That's why they are looking for more help.

I think you missed my point. I know they don't give a s*** about just making the playoffs. They're already in the playoffs. Now it's about matching up with the Red Sox and Rangers. If you're Cashman, do you feel Edwin Jackson, the same guy that's been traded four times in 5-6 years or whatever, the same guy who's really only put together one great half of consistent pitching in his career, gives you a better chance against two powerhouse offenses? And if that's worth a top prospect. I'm not saying they wouldn't have any interest. But some of the names being thrown around here. Please.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
I think you missed my point. I know they don't give a s*** about just making the playoffs. They're already in the playoffs. Now it's about matching up with the Red Sox and Rangers. If you're Cashman, do you feel Edwin Jackson, the same guy that's been traded four times in 5-6 years or whatever, the same guy who's really only put together one great half of consistent pitching in his career, gives you a better chance against two powerhouse offenses? And if that's worth a top prospect. I'm not saying they wouldn't have any interest. But some of the names being thrown around here. Please.

He gives you a better shot than anyone who doesn't have initials for a name on the NYY. That is the point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
He gives you a better shot than anyone who doesn't have initials for a name on the NYY. That is the point.

Agreed. He's easily their 2nd best pitcher if they acquire him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)

Not at the expense of a top prospect. You trade elite prospects for Cliff Lee's and CC Sabathia's. Not Edwin Jackson.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)

Discounting April, he's actually been really, really solid this year. Burnett couldn't handle it last year and I honestly wouldn't count on anything from Hughes at the moment. Colon and Garcia have been great, but counting on them for three more months is risky. It's undeniable Edwin has the talent. Basically the Yankees would be gambling on him harnessing it for another couple months, which he has done before. It'd be a risk, but for a team like NY, they've taken risks in the past and anything other than a WS is a failure for them most years. And if any team can afford to lose a top prospect, it's them, since they have so much capital to spend on free agent acquisitions. I really think Edwin would wind up the #2-3 starter for them come playoff time. And if Jackson truly becomes the best pitcher available on July 31st, they're gonna have to think about it

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
Not at the expense of a top prospect. You trade elite prospects for Cliff Lee's and CC Sabathia's. Not Edwin Jackson.

If it is the difference between flaming out with a $200 payroll in the first round, you pretty much have to do something.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)

If you're the Yankees would you trade Austin Romine for him then? Knowing you still have Montero and Sanchez down there?

Supply and demand dictates that players don't always get equal value in return, in either direction.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
If you're the Yankees would you trade Austin Romine for him then? Knowing you still have Montero and Sanchez down there?

Supply and demand dictates that players don't always get equal value in return, in either direction.

It's pretty much popular opinion that Montero's future is at DH. Top catching prospects don't grow on trees. Not saying either (Romine or Sanchez) is untouchable, obviously. But for a couple months of EJ? I don't see it. I actually don't anticipate much of anything happening anywhere. I expect Beltran to get traded. Possibly Heath Bell. Maybe some smaller moves (i.e. bullpen additions) But teams just don't want to, or are in no position to, trade prospects right now. And that makes for a rather boring trade season.