Ken Williams considers youth movement

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
When KW sells at the deadline he gets nothing in return, at least I do not think he gets anything in return.

When he sold Iguchi & Thome & Contreras? Nobody really wanted those guys anyway, he did it more as a favor to them.

Retooling a roster that is just not living up to expectations would be great news to me. I wouldn't see it as a white flag. Anyone who has watched this team (including KW) has to be frustrated. Would trades like the rumored Jackson for Rasmus and the Quentin for Beachy really make the Sox that much worse? Just a change for change's sake might spark something in the rest of the roster. At the very least, shedding some salary will help make up for empty seats and make the Sox a younger group going forward. Just don't trade Konerko. Everyone else can go for the right offer in my opinion. I'm not talking about rebuilding for five years, just a KW style retool like he did when he acquired Danks and Floyd or like when he replaced Lee and Magglio with Pods and Dye.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
When he sold Iguchi & Thome & Contreras? Nobody really wanted those guys anyway, he did it more as a favor to them.

True. He was trying to get Big Jim a ring. Iguchi was a gift to Philly to make them feel a bit better about how the Sox got the better end of the Garcia/Floyd deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
twice and neither netted anything and resulted in the wrong berry

Yeah, it is hard to argue he didn't get proper value for those guys at the time.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- There are just under six days remaining until Major League Baseball's non-waiver Trade Deadline strikes at 3 p.m. CT on Sunday.

And White Sox general manager Ken Williams, who has acquired 163 players in 65 trades during his 11-year tenure, might have to wait until those final couple of days to figure out if he's a buyer or a seller.

"Like [White Sox manager] Ozzie [Guillen] and I were talking about prior to coming out here, this year is a little different because we don't really know where we stand," said Williams, speaking to the media prior to Monday's series opener with the Tigers. "To a large degree, over the next six days, we'll find out.

White Sox senior vice president and GM Ken Williams says he's not sure what direction the team will go at the trade deadline

"So I'll have a better idea. I'm going through the normal drills but with different plans."

Here's the problem facing Williams, one he readily acknowledged while casually chatting with media members after his interview session. In this winnable 2011 American League Central, anything greater than a 1-5 or 0-6 disaster over these next six games against Detroit and Boston probably keeps the White Sox in contention.

Trade Include

Of course, a series win or even a sweep by the Tigers could lead Williams to go into a true selling mode for the first time as general manager. Judging by Williams' comments, he'll become a very popular man around baseball if the White Sox come up short over the next few days.

"General managers out there are like sharks in the water," said a smiling Williams. "There are a lot of them that are pulling for Detroit this week, I know that for a fact.

"They won't say it to my face, but they're saying it behind my back. There are some very interesting deals. We have some very popular players."

One deal being talked about over the weekend was the White Sox having renewed interest in left-handed-hitting outfielder Colby Rasmus, with the Cardinals wanting either right-handed starter Edwin Jackson or left-handed reliever Matt Thornton and prospects in return.

According to a St. Louis Post-Dispatch report, talks between the two teams had "accelerated" in the past few days. Williams has never been one to talk about his deals publicly, and a past rule of thumb is when White Sox rumors get to the media, they usually aren't in the works.

Williams didn't completely shoot down the Rasmus possibility when asked directly on Monday, but instead invoked semantics regarding the proposed deal.

"Well, I'm not going to get into who we're talking to or what sort of deals are out there for us, but I will tell you this," said Williams of the Rasmus rumor. "That, as reported, is incorrect."

If Williams decides to become a buyer, he would have to once again get creative after the club's offseason additions raised the franchise-record payroll to $127 million. But even if he becomes a seller, Williams does not have easy options to move.

Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski all have full no-trade clauses. Jake Peavy, Adam Dunn and Alex Rios have sizable, multiyear contracts, coupled with underachieving 2011 efforts. In Peavy's situation, most of the struggles can be attributed to his comeback from last season's surgery to repair a detached lat muscle.

So players such as Jackson or leadoff man Juan Pierre, who both will become free agents after the current season, could draw interest. John Danks, one of the top young lefty hurlers in the game and under team control through 2012, could be moved if the White Sox believe they won't be able to agree with him on a multiyear extension.

Right fielder Carlos Quentin also could serve as trade bait, with Dayan Viciedo ready to move into an everyday outfield role. No decisions can be categorically arrived upon with this talented White Sox squad being almost impossible for Williams to figure out.

"Absolutely, because on one hand you can look at potentially adding, and we would have to add creatively because of the financial situation right now," Williams said. "On the other hand, maybe this is the most opportune time to turn over the entire roster, and get some young, exciting players in here.

"To a large degree, it won't be me deciding, Ozzie deciding, any of the coaches or [White Sox chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], it will be what [the players] do. They will tell us. Believe me, it's very difficult for me to put my arms around the concept of we're not going to be competitive because you look on paper and you're still hopeful that we can start to play like we're capable of playing.

"Personally, I am with the same mindset that I always am, 'OK, what's the most impactful player we can go out and get to help our situation?'" Williams said. "That isn't so much an option right now because, again, you have to have the finances to do that, and that might not be the best thing. There might be a mix or a formula we can go into where we say, 'OK, we'll do a little bit of this, a little of that.'"

Aside from moving Tadahito Iguchi and Rob Mackowiak for Minor Leaguers in a forgettable 2007 campaign, Williams has never really subtracted at the July 31 deadline. Peavy, Ken Griffey Jr., Jose Contreras and Jackson are just a few of his recent additions.

"Lot of questions for me, lot of questions for them," Williams said. "At the end of the day, I'm the one who puts everyone in uniforms, and I'll fall on the sword if need be."

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
KW has no idea what he wants to do in between is the worst place to be ever!

KW knows exactly what he wants to do and what he says in the media is for the fans, to motivate players, and for negotiation disinformation purposes only. KW has plan A, B, C, D.... He has made some moves that have not turned out well the past few years, but he is the most aggressive GM in baseball.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
KW knows exactly what he wants to do and what he says in the media is for the fans, to motivate players, and for negotiation disinformation purposes only. KW has plan A, B, C, D.... He has made some moves that have not turned out well the past few years, but he is the most aggressive GM in baseball.

If I were in his chair right now I wouldn't have a clue what to do with this team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
If I were in his chair right now I wouldn't have a clue what to do with this team.

I would trade Buehrle or Danks, Quentin, and Thornton if the return was right. I would trade Pierre and Jackson to the highest bidder. I would unload Rios, Dunn, and Peavey if there was a team crazy enough to take on those salaries. In my opinion, this team is broken. I have seen enough. I would have replaced Walker 3 years ago and I would have fired Ozzie months ago. Since that didn't happen, you have to get new blood in the clubhouse and maybe some different personalities and a new mix of talent would spark something this year. I'm all for an outfield of Rasmus, Rios, Viciedo. Get a young starter, and save money to use later. Get Ozzie to Florida in the off season and pray Rios and Dunn return to career averages in 2012. I have a feeling with Ozzie in Florida and some new coaches, Beckham and Morel may suddenly figure it out.

For the record, I don't want Buehrle traded. I just think the Sox and him will be too far apart and he may end up elsewhere anyway. I'll bet the agent has talked with the Sox and opened with 5 years 70 million. The Sox counter with 3 years 33. I'm sure the numbers will be disputed as unrealistic by someone, but my point is that he will end up being more expensive than the Sox are willing to spend. The Sox won't want to let him go for nothing and St. Louis will already have been scouted.

That said, I hope this team wins 15 in a row and makes me look like a fool. Please make me look like a fool. Go Sox!

Knowing what he wants to do with the team is probably really easy.... Dump Rios, Peavy, Teahen, and trade from the Sox positions of strength(pitching), to bolster positions of weakness(hitting), while trying to get younger. Actually accomplishing it? That's another story altogether.

You have to keep Dunn and hope this season is just an anomaly. If not...wow. We're in really, really bad shape.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:18 AM)
My youth movement: Quentin to Philly for Dominic Brown, Jax and Thornton to StL for Rasmus, Rios to Atl for Lowe(no youth but anything to get rid of Rios). New OF of Brown, Rasmus, Viciedo

That would be awesome, but can't see any of that happening sadly.

I'm so tired of watching this team that a youth movement/White Flag II wouldn't bother me, despite the fact that the team is "in the race". I'd like to see some changes/accountability for what our organization has become in terms of on-field product.

Of course, I'd like to see a new manager and GM too. But, I'll start with baby steps.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
That would be awesome, but can't see any of that happening sadly.

I agree. I was just dreaming for a minute. It would be nice though. I guess it's not totally out the realm of possibility but very unlikely.

I would love nothing more than to see Ozzie and Kenny replaced, but I also am weary of a youth movement.

Lets face it, our scouting department was gutted a few years ago, but they still aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.

We don't have much in the minors ready to step in and replace roster positions. We have some horrendous contracts that nobody is going to touch. If Kenny decided to bail on the season, attendance is going to dip even worse. My biggest fear is that it's going to take a long time before the fans return. I still vividly remember the attendance woes of even the early 2000's. I also realize that we have built whatever roster we had over the years based on free agents and trades while having the highest payroll in the central.

In summary, my biggest fear is trusting our scouting department while scaring off even mediocre fan support.