Tigers @ Sox 7/26/11 Gamethread

We have ridiculous standards.

Peavy is coming off an one of a kind injury, where no one really knows how durable he is. He goes out and throws 5 innings and gives up 1 run.

You may not accept it, but its going to take Peavy more time to get back from injury.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:05 AM)
Yes, because nothing says "suck" like 1 ER through 5IP in, what could be, the biggest game of the season for this team. I'm frustrated by Jake too but he's a competitor...it's up to his manager to reel him in and pull him out of the muck when he's reached his limit.

He has like a 5.50 ERA as a starter...I'd rather him be a huge douche like Rios and put up a 4.25 ERA than be a "competitor" and be awful. But yes, I agree with you that tonight is on Ozzie.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:07 AM)

Peavy is coming off an one of a kind injury, where no one really knows how durable he is. He goes out and throws 5 innings and gives up 1 run.

You may not accept it, but its going to take Peavy more time to get back from injury.

I couldn't agree more...which means you don't use him as a reliever and you skip a start or two along the way instead of pushing other guys back so he can pitch in his slot.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
I'm not giving an MLB pitcher who's getting paid as well as Peavy is any credit for being a five inning starter. I'll accept that from a 22 year old rookie, or fifth starter. I will not accept it from Peavy. If this is all he's good for, he should have stayed in the minors or accepted a demotion to the pen.

But at this point he is a 5th starter. Just the highest paid 5th starter in baseball, or well 2nd, forgot about Zito.

Edited by dmbjeff

YOU DONT QUESTION OZZIE/

Not only is he the manager, but hes a soothsaying time traveler who doesnt need to listen to Drs or professional advice.

Hes the manager and has won a world series, if you dont have those credentials you cant question his wisdom.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
He didn't do 1 ER through 5 IP. He did 4 ER through 6 IP.

Exactly my point...blame his f***ing manager. It's not Peavy's job to pull himself....I would be absolutely furious with any pitcher who pulled themselves if not for injury.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)

I don't think were mad at Peavy.

Were mad at Ozzie for not paying attention o anything you said.

I wasnt referring to you, was referring to the post that he couldnt accept Peavy only going 5, or all the posts about Peavy being paid more and thus he should perform better.

Im actually surprised Peavy can pitch this well based on the injury.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
But at this point he is a 5th starter. Just the highest paid 5th starter in baseball, or well 2nd, forgot about Zito.

He doesn't get that excuse if he's making $16,000,000 a year.

And SoxBadger, in regards to our ridiculous standards, see the above figure. I expect greatness out of him because he gets paid a s***load. In these last two starts where Humber started to wear down, I didn't freak out. Because nothing was expected of him to begin this season.

Peavy, I hold to a higher standard.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
He doesn't get that excuse if he's making $16,000,000 a year.

And SoxBadger, in regards to our ridiculous standards, see the above figure. I expect greatness out of him because he gets paid a s***load. In these last two starts where Humber started to wear down, I didn't freak out. Because nothing was expected of him to begin this season.

Peavy, I hold to a higher standard.

You hold Peavy to a higher standard despite the fact his shoulder literally fell apart?