Desire, Focus

Paulie4Pres

Seems so, doesn't it? How else can this team be explained? Look like world beaters one week, and then look like total bums against teams like the Royals, Nationals, Orioles, Twins, Bluejays, etc. Really, there's just no excuse for the complete lack of competitiveness against BAD teams. You have to win the games you're supposed to win. That is the mantra in any sport, in any league, at any level. The Sox just don't do it. They have been embarrassed by the Twins and Royals this season, who don't seem to be beating anyone else. Then they come out and smoke a team like the Red Sox, in Boston.

At what point do you look at the organization and the management as the problem? Aside from obvious blunders like Teahen, Peavy, and Pierre, you also have to question their ability to get the team ready to play, and up for games against teams they SHOULD beat. Seems like accountability just doesn't exist here, unless you're in Ozzie's doghouse.

I think people need to take into account matchup problems and variance.

The Twins match up very well against a listless, light-hitting Sox lineup, because they are built to play close games in an NL style. They can run all over a poor-throwing catcher like AJ. The Twins get crushed when they play teams that are capable of putting up a 5 spot in an inning. The Sox haven't been capable of doing that all season because they consistently have at least 3 major holes in their lineup.

The Royals are more of an enigma. Certainly the Sox should be beating them. Should the Sox be 6-1 against Cleveland? I dunno. Cleveland's been doing pretty well against other teams. Should we be 3-0 @ boston? No way.

Every year it's the same story. "We SHOULD beat ______ " or "We can beat ______ but not ________ " or "We can beat the bad teams but not the good teams", or "We only beat the NL" or "We can't beat the NL". Every year, you beat some teams you shouldn't, and you lose to others you should pummel. It tends to even out over 162 games and give an accurate depiction for how good of a team you have.

Right now, we are a .500 team. We have played very mediocre baseball, and we have a record to illustrate that.

It really seems like it is an attitude issue. Losing doesn't seem to bother most of the guys that much, probably because they have gotten used to it. AJP is probably the one guy that you know brings it every night he is in the lineup. But there really isnt that vocal leader in the clubhouse, there is Ozzie, but really there needs to be a player holding everyone else accountable. Paulie is too nice of a guy to get into Rios's face for lolli-popping a throw or dogging it on the bases. In 2005 Rowand was the catalyst for a lot of that, it seems a presence like that is what is holding this team back.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I think people need to take into account matchup problems and variance.

The Twins match up very well against a listless, light-hitting Sox lineup, because they are built to play close games in an NL style. They can run all over a poor-throwing catcher like AJ. The Twins get crushed when they play teams that are capable of putting up a 5 spot in an inning. The Sox haven't been capable of doing that all season because they consistently have at least 3 major holes in their lineup.

The Royals are more of an enigma. Certainly the Sox should be beating them. Should the Sox be 6-1 against Cleveland? I dunno. Cleveland's been doing pretty well against other teams. Should we be 3-0 @ boston? No way.

Every year it's the same story. "We SHOULD beat ______ " or "We can beat ______ but not ________ " or "We can beat the bad teams but not the good teams", or "We only beat the NL" or "We can't beat the NL". Every year, you beat some teams you shouldn't, and you lose to others you should pummel. It tends to even out over 162 games and give an accurate depiction for how good of a team you have.

Right now, we are a .500 team. We have played very mediocre baseball, and we have a record to illustrate that.

Excellent post.

Some great posts on this thread.

1.) It's all about pitching and defense and our pitching has been great and defense not bad at all.

That has kept us in about every game since April/early May.

That leaves the hitting and our pitchers should be sooo pissed off.

Yes I think it's focus and desire. I do.

Last night we hit the f***ing ball. Personally I thought we played 'harder' than other games. I sensed a playoff type atmosphere.

Of course that all might be a bunch of b.s. coming from me. Usually when yu hit the ball it appears you are playing "harder."

I might be off base, but I think our pitchers have competed very well; hitters been bums.