Sox Interested in ARam?

HuskyCaucasian

Aramis does not want to leave Chicago. He could leave the cubs and stay in Chicago.

If the cubs are looking to move Garza, they have major finanacial issues and moving Ramirez saves them a good chunck of change here.

The cubs also may want to bring him back next year so something could be worked out....

He would look good between Konerko and Quentin with Dunn hitting 6th.

The cubs are in bad shape

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
He's not getting traded to anybody. $16 million dollar option vests if he's traded.

Its been reported multiple times that he would want any team that trades for him to void the option as part of compensation for waiving his no trade clause. So that is really not an issue. But he would only be a rental and projects to be a Type B FA.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Its been reported multiple times that he would want any team that trades for him to void the option as part of compensation for waiving his no trade clause. So that is really not an issue. But he would only be a rental and projects to be a Type B FA.

Why would he want that option voided??? No way in hell he gets $16 million next year as a FA.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)

who reported that? That is the first i heard he didnt want his money

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
who reported that? That is the first i heard he didnt want his money

Rosenthal per MLBTR

"If traded, Ramirez would likely want his new club to drop his $16MM option for 2012 so that he can hit the open market after this season, Rosenthal reports. Ramirez's '12 option technically becomes guaranteed if he gets traded. "

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/aramis_ramirez/

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Rosenthal per MLBTR

"If traded, Ramirez would likely want his new club to drop his $16MM option for 2012 so that he can hit the open market after this season, Rosenthal reports. Ramirez's '12 option technically becomes guaranteed if he gets traded. "

that is hilariously dumb if true

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Rosenthal per MLBTR

Is Aram taking stupid pills? WTF? lol. I need to see a direct quote from him. He'd probably get half that on the open market. He could then hit the market after '12. Not like any team is about to sign him for 5-6 years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
that is hilariously dumb if true

Its the difference between getting a multi-year deal at 33 instead of 34. I think his agents probably have some metrics that say he is better off hitting free agency this season I would guess, especially given the uptake in production he has had over the last six weeks.

Sox payroll couldn't support him though and we dont have the prospects to get the Cubs to eat some money.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Its the difference between getting a multi-year deal at 33 instead of 34. I think his agents probably have some metrics that say he is better off hitting free agency this season I would guess, especially given the uptake in production he has had over the last six weeks.

Sox payroll couldn't support him though and we dont have the prospects to get the Cubs to eat some money.

Yeah, but at this point in his career I highly doubt he gets a multi year deal that exceeds the possible 16.5 mil he will recieve next year. IMO its a pretty dumb move, he isnt going to be setting the free agent world on fire at 33 or 34, teams arent going to be handing him 4 and 5 year deals

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)

He's 33. Injury prone. Defense has been eroding for years. He wouldn't get anymore than a 3-year deal, IMO. But hey, I'd definitely take him for two months if he dropped that option.

Hi, first post here after reading for a couple months.

IF ARam would accept a trade to the Sox and IF his willingness to drop his option are both true (and I think those are both big IFs), then this smells like a 3-way trade waiting to happen. Find some team that both wants Edwin Jackson and has prospects the Cubs would like [i don't keep up with other teams' prospects, but maybe someone else can find a fit]. Between the 3rd team and the Cubs, they could send cash to the Sox to make it work. Or instead of kicking in some cash, maybe one of those teams takes Teahen.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

What Aramis and his agent would be looking at is this offseason's free agent market, the thirdbase options consist of Aramis Ramirez and Aramis Ramirez. It's bone dry. And with him being one of 5 3B with an .800+ OPS this season, 3 with an .850+ and 3 with a .360+ wOBA. He's the only option on the free agent market at a position that's seen a precipitous -- if not anomalistic -- drop in offensive production this season. Aramis doesn't strike me as the kind of player willing to bet on himself by taking good guaranteed cash up front and putting off free agency another year risking a down season and a poor return in free agency as opposed to going for the multi-year deal in a weak market. I could see him getting $30M fairly easily, all it takes is one team and that team is typically out there year in and year out.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
What Aramis and his agent would be looking at is this offseason's free agent market, the thirdbase options consist of Aramis Ramirez and Aramis Ramirez. It's bone dry. And with him being one of 5 3B with an .800+ OPS this season, 3 with an .850+ and 3 with a .360+ wOBA. He's the only option on the free agent market at a position that's seen a precipitous -- if not anomalistic -- drop in offensive production this season. Aramis doesn't strike me as the kind of player willing to bet on himself by taking good guaranteed cash up front and putting off free agency another year risking a down season and a poor return in free agency as opposed to going for the multi-year deal in a weak market. I could see him getting $30M fairly easily, all it takes is one team and that team is typically out there year in and year out.

......anomolistic?