Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Anyone familiar with the Phillies minor league system?

I know it pretty well. Actually have a friend who scouted for them for a long time. He is retired now, but keeps up with them, had a hand in some of the lower level guys in the system. None of them working out too well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardinals fans after learning of their return for Rasmus:

#raped

Abysmal.

Makes me absolutely sick...

No surprise.

Would have been shocked if Mo had made a trade that would have even matched what a mentally retarded chimp could dream up...........

All-Star potential CF'r for 2 mediocre relievers and 2 months of a mediocre starter.

John Mozeliak is bad at his job. I could curse and call him names, but the simple fact, and the worst insult IMO, is that he just isn't good at what he's paid to do

Mediocrity X 3 coming back to us. Especially for a starter that will soon be a FA. Not sure of the other two; really don't care to look at this time.

Trading player while their value is at it's lowest. Yep.

Piss of the fanbase. Why not?

Yes sir, I'd say this trade makes a hell of a lot of sense.

So Moe is about to trade Rasmus for a 2 liter diet Mountain Dew, a bag of expired barbeque Lay's potato chips, a questionably old ham sammich and a 13 gallon, tall white kitchen trash bag.

And here I thought sure he'd go after Brandon Inge.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I think its fairly safe to say that the Cards got less for Rasmus than we did for Hudson and Holmberg. A year ago I would have thought that was crazy talk.

Eh, and H & H were fairly "unknowns" at the time. Looking back is fun and all, but I can at least see the reasoning behind the trade at the time.

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
I know it pretty well. Actually have a friend who scouted for them for a long time. He is retired now, but keeps up with them, had a hand in some of the lower level guys in the system. None of them working out too well.

I saw they had some nice lower level bats, anything worth taking?

The White Sox DID NOT & DO NOT want Colby Rasmus. There was a deal with the Cards to acquire him if they wanted but they declined.

Rasmus exemplifies exactly what this team is steering clear of going forward and I applaud that:

La Russa was asked whether Rasmus is listening and responded tartly.

"Well, he's listening to somebody," the manager said.

Asked whether Rasmus is listening to the Cardinals' coaches, he was more direct.

"No, he doesn't listen to the Cardinal coaches much now, and that's why he gets in these funks, in my opinion," La Russa said.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I think its fairly safe to say that the Cards got less for Rasmus than we did for Hudson and Holmberg. A year ago I would have thought that was crazy talk.

Cardinals are definitely the long-term losers here. Edwin and Dotel will help them this year, but they're both gone in two months. People are going to stop trading with AA.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Cardinals are definitely the long-term losers here. Edwin and Dotel will help them this year, but they're both gone in two months. People are going to stop trading with AA.

AA is making a mockery of this sport. I forgot about the Yunel Escobar for old ass Alex Gonzalez trade.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
The White Sox DID NOT & DO NOT want Colby Rasmus. There was a deal with the Cards to acquire him if they wanted but they declined.

Rasmus exemplifies exactly what this team is steering clear of going forward and I applaud that:

La Russa was asked whether Rasmus is listening and responded tartly.

"Well, he's listening to somebody," the manager said.

Asked whether Rasmus is listening to the Cardinals' coaches, he was more direct.

"No, he doesn't listen to the Cardinal coaches much now, and that's why he gets in these funks, in my opinion," La Russa said.

Thank you; I feel the same way.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
Please, that was just one thread. How about people that get paid to cover this s***? Find one that doesn't believe the Cardinals got sodomized.

Kevin Goldstein.

http://twitter.com/#!/Kevin_Goldstein

And it was one thread on a s*** Cards board thats not even populated. Its not a good deal for them, but you still cherry picked the posts that proves your point of hating KW and the Sox. And still you wont follow up on your statement to take a break from the Sox and this board. All talk no action. You love to be as miserable as possible.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
Kevin Goldstein.

And it was one thread on a s*** Cards board thats not even populated. Its not a good deal for them, but you still cherry picked the posts that proves your point of hating KW and the Sox. And still you wont follow up on your statement to take a break from the Sox and this board. All talk no action. You love to be as miserable as possible.

I'm going to wait until Sunday.

I think I like the trade, but I also think it is part of a larger plan. We traded away an under-performing Teahen and an extra underperforming starter in E-Jax, saving the team $10M or so over the next couple years, which gives room for other moves, extensions, etc. We get a better than average late inning reliever in Frasor, and a decent starting pitching prospect in Zach Stewart.

You can see the plan from here. The team probably improves a bit now or stays the same, gives Rios a kick in the rear he so desperately needs (De Aza is going to take most playing time in CF), and saves a bunch of money.

Acquiring Frasor means they can trade Thornton, who is in high demand, and the Sox already have multiple good lefty relievers (and, just my view, I think Thornton will fall off a cliff soon).

De Aza up, and Viciedo in the wings, means they can trade TCQ if they get the right offer, which would also save big money and I think Viciedo can be as good as TCQ anyway.

Ozzie gets a speedy leadoff guy in De Aza to replace Juan Pierre, who I think is a free agent after this year (someone can correct me here if wrong).

The Sox are still just as competitive this year, and better set next year, with more room to do things like re-sign Buehrle.

But if they trade Danks or Floyd, that's saying they are done in 2011. That is a white flag signal.

Next year's rotation would be :

Buehrle

Peavy

Danks/Floyd (whomever is not traded)

Humber

Stewart/Sale/Axelrod competition

Still looks pretty damn good. If Sale starts, then Hector Santiago becomes the LOOGY in the pen in 2012.

I doubt this is the last trade this week for the Sox.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Thornton, Jackson, and Reed would have been a pretty steap price.

Agreed. In 5 weeks time Reed may not even be a prospect, he'll be a full-time major leaguer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
Kevin Goldstein.

http://twitter.com/#!/Kevin_Goldstein

I went to school in missouri. None of my friends are happy. Regardless of whether they "liked" him, absolutely all of them would rather have kept him than received this package.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
I went to school in missouri. None of my friends are happy. Regardless of whether they "liked" him, absolutely all of them would rather have kept him than received this package.

Its a terrible package in theory, unless Rasmus just falls off the earth somehow. It does seem odd that no other offer was better than what they received though. Why is that?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Its a terrible package in theory, unless Rasmus just falls off the earth somehow. It does seem odd that no other offer was better than what they received though. Why is that?

Because they have a terrible GM? Seems to me that word leaked out pretty early that they were looking for a pretty reasonable package.

I've blasted Kenny as much as anyone, but this move is okay by me. It might actually look very insignificant in two years, but we at least save some money now. Who knows, it might turn out to be one of his better trades without much risk.

I do not like the deal KW is so worried about the bullpen ..............If you cannot score you never get to the bullpen. This is NOT the best deal Sox could of got for for Jackson IMO.

Edited by Soxfest