Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
See, I disagree. Jackson wasn't coming back, Thornton is overpriced, and Reed is still an unknown commodity. I think Cards liked the Toronto package more cause they'll get more draft picks out of it and Rz is better than Thornton for the cost.

I agree. I dont think that is a steep price. You would have obtained the salary relief desired and acquired a guy who may become one of the top CFs in the league soon. Certainly worth the gamble and if he didn't work out then you don't give him a long term deal or arb him. Jackson and Thornton will be distant memories once Rasmus reaches his prime and Reed is a hard throwing setup man. Those types of guys are all over the place and often don't work out.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
And still finish in 3rd place at best

For this year. Going forward? I smell an early 90's like run by them. This is no hyperbole. AA shredded two of the top 5 worst contracts in baseball, fattened up their system, and got a stud 5-tool CF for two relievers and a #4 starter. He's done this in like two years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
At least we got rid of Teahen.

It's funny how badly we wanted to get rid of Jackson. Very strange we got no bats for him.

I understand the contract situation, but the team really seemed intent on dumping Edwin.

Coop must think he's a bum. After all, we are 'all-in' and we dumped a guy we at one point acquired to help us win the pennant allegedly.

My conclusions.

- We still need offense, not pitching.

- Coop must be convinced Humber is good.

- Thank God Teahen is gone. He'll probably start hitting now but I don't care.

- I would think Thornton is next. I can't imagine anybody giving up much for him any more. I mean he gets hit now. Like last night with that meatball on the single up the middle.

- Rasmus sounds like Rios to me. I am not mad we didn't get him. Dull trade. I can't see how anybody thinks this trade helps us much. I guess the righty reliever can ease the workload on Crain and the lefty can replace Matt.

KW is all about taking on pitching, we are very weak in the upper minors.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
As they certainly should be; LaRussa's done a fine job with that team, but the Rasmus situation has been a complete joke this year. His personal vendetta cost them a lot here.

Secondly, the White Sox, had they prioritized winning baseball, could have had Rasmus for a similar sweetheart deal. There's no reason not to toss them Thornton and Reed and enjoy a future built around Colby Rasmus, Dayan Viciedo, Gordon Beckham, and even Carlos Quentin.

First off, how do we know that the main problem in that situation was LaRussa? Could it be that Rasmus is just a big jerk, who takes away from the clubhouse atmosphere?

Secondly, Could it be that K.W. really didn't want Rasmus that badly because they felt that his personal issues would far out weight his playing ability. I know nothing about the situation other than whats been talked about here, and I would bet that we're letting Rasmus's athletic ability cloud our judgement. I'll trust K.W. on this one, until Rasmus actually proves him wrong.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
For this year. Going forward? I smell an early 90's like run by them. This is no hyperbole. AA shredded two of the top 5 worst contracts in baseball, fattened up their system, and got a stud 5-tool CF for two relievers and a #4 starter. He's done this in like two years.

Honestly that is an unbelievable 2 year run.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)

No chance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
So the Sox save like 4 million this year and 5.5 next year?

Yes. In terms of what Jackson and Teahen were going to get.

But the savings are less of course when you factor back in what we pay Frasor (about $1.2M this year).

If we decide to keep Frasor next year (club option, he'll cost us $3.75M for 2012.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)

Stud five-tool CF? I dunno about that.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
The confusing thing is that I still don't know if we are buyers or sellers yet.

Payroll cutting is somewhat selling. We arent unloading anything that in theory makes us weaker at the moment, only different.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Heads,

This trade was a buy and sell.

Which is also part of the Sox problem, they dont have any real direction, just middling.

Well he just stocked his pen with attractive trade pieces and in theory brought on a minor leaguer to step into the rotation if we trade Gavin (in theory).

I officially sign off on this deal. Nice job, KW!

And, even better bringing up De Aza and sitting down Rios - finally.

Next, should be to sit Dunn and then maybe we roll.

Anyway, good deal for the Sox. The bullpen should be real solid now. As long as Peavy does what he was supposed to do the pitching looks good.

It looks like KW will try to add a bat for somewhere in the lineup with the savings from this deal.

I just hope that Dunn is not still playing everyday and batting in the middle of the lineup 2 weeks from now if he is still hitting .160.

There is no surprise here. Payroll is way too high, attendance is down, and if we have a bad week this week attendance will be really bad the remainder of the year. Also if we get out of contention and they don't lock in season ticket holders from buying playoff tix they will lose a large % of season ticket sales.

Basically the team really needs to win and stay in contention otherwise the economics breaks down and we are stuck with our big contracts for years.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Rock,

I just wonder what the haul for Jackson would have been if it was strictly spects. If this was a complete rebuild you dont add Frasor, you just see who will give you the most spects.

Right, but Frasor, Thornton, Ohman and Sale are big on teams wish lists right now. You can get rid of 2 of them with no real effect on the major league team (though trading Sale is stupid)