7/27 games

danman31

Very glad to see Tyler K back in Charlotte and leading off. Perhaps they felt they were doing him a disservice having him bat near the bottom of the order in Charlotte after having excelled all year at leadoff in B'Ham.

It didn't seem right that they were judging him so harshly on a mere 24 AB's in his Charlotte debut a couple weeks ago - perhaps they weren't.

If he does well this time in AAA, he'll be a very interesting guy to watch next ST. September, maybe?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Kuhn had 2 doubles, and also had 2 OF assists, one at 3B and one at home.

Cool.

Saladino is becoming an interesting prospect due to a very healthy ISO. Maybe he's our 3B in a few seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
Petricka with a nice effort.

Looks like they had Hector Santiago limited to a 70 pitch count in his first start since leaving the White Sox.

Will be interesting to see where they eventually move Saladino...3B or 2B.

Why will he necessarily be moved?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
Jordan Danks has not struck out in his last 5 games... :o

His K rate is down to 29%. Still high but if he can get it down to around 25% he'll have a career as at least a 4th OF in the majors

Because if he (Saladino) keeps hitting this way, he's 1 1/2 years away from a major league impact....and Ramirez would still be under contract.

We also don't know how Beckham's going to turn out (with us), but surely to get above-average pop from a 3B in the system is the biggest need, along with a future catcher and obviously pitching and leadoff/OF (Mitchell/Thompson/Walker, etc.)

Escobar just seems like he's going to come up short offensively to be anything more than a utility infielder. He's not exactly the PRing weapon that Lillibridge is, either.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
Saladino is becoming an interesting prospect due to a very healthy ISO. Maybe he's our 3B in a few seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:09 AM)

Ok, I'm going to nip this in the bud. When the hell did Tyler Saladino become a 3B or even a 2B? Dude has played SS since his college days at Palomar. (in fact.. I loved the selection of him last year in the 7th round) He is also a very good defensive SS.

The moment when our future is crystal clear at both 3B and 2B, that's when you can fully nip it in the bud.

For the next 18 months, definitely he stays at SS...that's where any player's highest value is, as long as he can sustain it defensively. It certainly makes him more valuable as a trade chip as well. Obviously, he needs to pick up that batting average as well, at least into the 260's.

That's where so many seem down on Kuhn. First, the CJ Retherford comparison/s, fair or unfair. Also, the fact that if he's a utility player of 2B/3B, he's not worth anything like a legit SS.

Unfortunately, you can't combine Escobar/Kuhn into one hybrid player or you'd really have something.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
The moment when our future is crystal clear at both 3B and 2B, that's when you can fully nip it in the bud.

Jesus. He has NOT played 1 game at 3B or 2B. I could see if he's played a few games in his career at those positions, even in the minors, but he's played SS every game since he turned pro. (and rightfully so, he is a very good defensive SS)

I'm just saying...it ALWAYS comes up with shortstops. It was talked about with Beckham from the moment he was drafted, and he's played all three of those positions now.

Very good in college or A ball might not be the same thing as "very good" at the next level. Nishioka, for example...is/was a Gold Glove winner in Japan at SS, but he's been struggling all season long with both range, arm strength (very mechanical throws) and pretty much every aspect of quality infield play this season with the Twins.

A number of people even suggested Lillibridge at 3B for the Sox, and he'd never played the position at all before...and would have been learning for the first time at the MLB level.

Edited by caulfield12

It was talked about with Beckham cause he wasn't a very good defensive SS in college (serviceable yes, but not good) He also played some 3B and 2B in the minors (though it wasn't very much as he ascended to the bigs quickly). He also had a winter to work on his fielding at a new position which was gonna be his future position with this team. I don't know how you can talk about our future being clear at 3B and 2B when your relying on a prospect who can boom or bust (as can all prospects) to make it or even entertain a discussion of position change, especially one who is a very good defensive SS. (and this isn't even acknowledging 30+ year old Alexei if you wanna go the age route) I just brought up Saladino is a SS, that was it.

Nobody knows if Beckham or Morel will be with the White Sox in 2013, that much is obvious.

KW has always tended to move players around in order to adapt to needs at the major league level (see Viciedo), then overcorrected too quickly when things didn't work out (see Teahen) as originally planned.

Another example would be paying AJ $6+ million in 2012 when we should have been turning over the catcher's position.

In all honesty, I've never even seen him play the position. Someone who has (this season) would have a lot better take on projecting him down the line. Error totals in A ball don't mean very much at all...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Another example would be paying AJ $6+ million in 2012 when we should have been turning over the catcher's position.

Reality, the Sox are effectively paying AJ $4 mil a year for 2 years, which is close to a fair contract for him, maybe a slight overpay. They backloaded that in anticipation of having dollars come off of the books or having new revenues from winning in 2011. They also probably hoped he'd have a better 2011 than 2010 and would be more moveable, which is in fact true.

Besides, the Sox had no business just turning that position over to Tyler Flowers. Beckham, Morel, etc., you can say they earned a MLB job in the minors. Flowers has not.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
In all honesty, I've never even seen him play the position. Someone who has (this season) would have a lot better take on projecting him down the line. Error totals in A ball don't mean very much at all...

I saw him in college. He was good then, and judging from scouting reports (maybe a few posters who catch Kanny games can chime in here), he still is good now. I think even futuresox had a writeup on him being a good defensive SS. I don't wanna hype him up too much cause obviously he is no Alexei/Vizquel.

That's all fine and good, but they really can't part with AJ right now, can they?

So they're really stuck with him for 2012 (at least 3-4 months) without having a replacement in sight. (And yes, even though you can dollar-cost-average his contract over the two years, it's still a pretty good sized commitment for 15-18 major league teams to take on AJ).

Unless we're about to trade AJ along with Quentin/Thornton/Danks/Floyd for a new catcher as part of a massive package.

The All In thing creates a roadblock unless you just trade away everyone but Humber/Sale/Peavy and start over again philosophically next year. And how likely is that to happen with KW in charge?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:09 AM)
Petricka with a nice effort.

Looks like they had Hector Santiago limited to a 70 pitch count in his first start since leaving the White Sox.

Second start.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
Jesus. He has NOT played 1 game at 3B or 2B. I could see if he's played a few games in his career at those positions, even in the minors, but he's played SS every game since he turned pro. (and rightfully so, he is a very good defensive SS)

I'm actually going to side with caulfield on this one. In the context of being with the White Sox, it seems a move away from SS (because Alexei is there) is possible. I don't view it as a knock on his defensive ability. It's just that once he gets to the bigs, he's blocked by one of the best SS in baseball. Saladino's bat can play at third so it's worth mentioning.

As for his batting average, which I saw referenced higher in the thread, Saladino's first month was awful. He came back from a broken hand (wrist?) and it really set him back to start the year. He missed April and May was pretty much his spring training. He's hitting .281 since the start of June. His strikeout rate is a bit high, but he certainly looks like a solid prospect.