Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
From Mr. Cowardly:

cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Disappointing to hear, but was just told that KW doesn't really believe in this team and is looking to ship more bodies out.

cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Raise the White Flag, as the buzzards are circling the South Side.

Joe Cowardly, fighting for Ozzie to the bitter end.

I feel like I've wandered into some alternate universe. It's one where the White Sox are but a mere three games out of 1st in a division there for the taking, but instead of Kenny Williams looking to make some splashy additions to the team like he usually does at this time of year, he's entertaining subtracting one of our best players, and perhaps even an all-out firesale. Aye caromba!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm fine with the White Sox rebuilding.

I'm not. Not with the Sox 3.5 games out in a weak division.

If Kenny wants to rebuild, that's fine. But wait until November.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)

I feel the same way -- unless we're talking Dom Brown. Then all bets are off and I'll drive CQ to the airport.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
I feel like I've wandered into some alternate universe. It's one where the White Sox are but a mere three games out of 1st in a division there for the taking, but instead of Kenny Williams looking to make some splashy additions to the team like he usually does at this time of year, he's entertaining subtracting one of our best players, and perhaps even an all-out firesale. Aye caromba!

Kenny might be getting forced to look to the next 3-4 years because of the incredible hand he's holding at the Poker table, this might be his only chance to truly build a contender

gut feeling: kenny's getting really good offers and he's using his brain instead of his heart, this isnt a WS team, lets be real

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
Kenny might be getting forced to look to the next 3-4 years because of the incredible hand he's holding at the Poker table, this might be his only chance to truly build a contender

gut feeling: kenny's getting really good offers and he's using his brain instead of his heart, this isnt a WS team, lets be real

There it is.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)

What's the end game though? We make the playoffs and get mounted by the Yankees or Red Sox? Even if we make the playoffs, we're not doing anything. We lack an ace. We're an awful clutch hitting team. We can't make things happen on the bases. I'd rather rebuild. It looks to be inevitable at this point. We actually have a nice core to build around. Let's see what happens with some kids.

I'm usually an overly optimistic Sox fan, but I really don't see much with this squad. On paper, we should be awesome. In reality, we are poor to mediocre.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
KW does not have the patience for rebuilding. He never has and never will.

He's never needed to. He's done a good job assembling competitive teams. This year, he went all out to acquire impact players and it's failing. This is his first real opportunity to start over. I'm sure he'd love to build a winner from the ground up.

I'm thinking all of this chatter is just KW trying to drum up demand. KW is trying to play teams off of each other in the media to see if some GM is dumb enough to give up their top prospect for Quentin.

I doubt Q is traded.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
I'm thinking all of this chatter is just KW trying to drum up demand. KW is trying to play teams off of each other in the media to see if some GM is dumb enough to give up their top prospect for Quentin.

I doubt Q is traded.

If he's trying to drum up demand, that means the guy is available for the right price.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)

I doubt Q is traded.

That's the beauty of where KW is at the moment. He does NOT have to trade Quentin. If we all wake up on Monday morning and Q is still our starting right fielder, well, that is far from being a bad situation for us. He'll still be more than welcome in our line-up. And that's KW's ultimate leverage with his suitors. We are not terribly motivated to move him, and so to do so, those teams interested in Q's services will really have to make it worth KW's while. Not a bad place for our GM to be!

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
KW does not have the patience for rebuilding. He never has and never will.

I think it is more about having a real, intimate respect for the difficulty of building a brand new core from the ground up. Kenny was a farm director here who oversaw a ton of highly-rated busts, and he saw that 2000 team that was supposed to be the start of a new era fade in Bolivian. Furthermore, this is the AL Central. If you run the ship aground totally then you can easily end up like the Royals or the Tigers of '05 and prior, but if you try to keep a solid team together and just swap some pieces out here and there, you can reasonably expect to contend the following season.

Also, keeping good vets around keeps the record better and keeps us from constantly having to bring up talented prospects in a losing environment. Furthermore, guys like Paulie, MB, and AJ are terrific mentors who always strive to set the best examples and standards both on and off the field. Compare this to the Royals, for one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
If he's trying to drum up demand, that means the guy is available for the right price.

KW will be the first to admit that anyone is available for the right place. KW realizes that there is a pretty healthy market for a RF and is kicking the tires to see if a guy like D. Brown is really available.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
He is trying to deflect the negative on to Kenny and away from Ozzie for this season.

Yep. And like I posted on another thread, Cowley knows that a trade is likely to happen so he's trying to preempt KW by putting a negative spin on the move before it happens.

What's hilarious is then a short while later he apparently posted that if KW doesn't get a deal he likes, he's willing to wait until the offseason. Really Joe? LOL

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
I think it is more about having a real, intimate respect for the difficulty of building a brand new core from the ground up. Kenny was a farm director here who oversaw a ton of highly-rated busts, and he saw that 2000 team that was supposed to be the start of a new era fade in Bolivian. Furthermore, this is the AL Central. If you run the ship aground totally then you can easily end up like the Royals or the Tigers of '05 and prior, but if you try to keep a solid team together and just swap some pieces out here and there, you can reasonably expect to contend the following season.

Also, keeping good vets around keeps the record better and keeps us from constantly having to bring up talented prospects in a losing environment. Furthermore, guys like Paulie, MB, and AJ are terrific mentors who always strive to set the best examples and standards both on and off the field. Compare this to the Royals, for one.

Love the Mike Tyson reference.

If you get someone with a "bowled over" type offer for Quentin - you take it.

Then, you start looking into trading 2 more starters.

You DON'T STOP at Quentin if someone knocks down your door to get it.

You use that opportunity as a spring board into a true youth movement... and if this is the direction they are truly going - it makes me sad to see us not being able to pick up Colby.

However, it's a wait and see game because hell - who knows, we might have had to give up Jackson + Sale + Thornton + Spects to get him and... **** that.

Give me Julio Teheran, Randall Delgado, and Carlos Perez from ATL for Quentin and Thornton.

Then try to gut Boston or New York by dumping off Danks + Rios + Cash.

Too bad STL got Jackson + from TOR - or it'd be prime time to gut them for M56.

Bottom line is this - if Quentin goes... sell the ****ing whole lot and stack the house for 2013/2014.