Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing to look at is that the Sox aren't operating in a vacuum. Holding on to Quentin does not make this team better down the stretch, it makes it the same as it has been all season. Cleveland and Detroit are both getting better at the deadline, Cleveland will have a re-tooled OF by Sunday night and Detroit could add two starters. The Sox have nothing to deal on the farm to acquire prospects to make this team better this season.

Trading CQ makes opens up a roster spot for Viciedo, who most here have been pining for. Viciedo's production will not be at the level of CQ's this season, but the pieces that are acquired in a CQ deal could contribute, or be spun to fill a gap on the team. If Rios and Dunn are still on the team at the deadline this team is going nowhere unless their production picks up, and if it does that will cover any loss in production from CQ to DV.

The question isn't can the Sox win the division as it stands, because they could though they haven't been above .500 in three months, but can the Sox as they sit compete with a better Detroit team and a better Cleveland team, if not there really is no sense in not improving this teams financial situation as well as the chances to win down the road.

I think this is much different than the white flag in the 90's too, most Sox fans were pretty invested in that team and thought we had a chance, I think this time around most Sox fans are so disgusted with the effort and production on a game to game basis that re-tooling would not be seen nearly as negatively.

Its time to take a different approach to running this roster, stop trading for overpriced vets and build from the ground up, otherwise you are always hovering in the middle and that is not a good place to be. The Sox farm is the worst in the division, and in two-three years will be cellar dwellars if they can't get some young, inexpensive talent in the system.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
Minor has #5 starter written all over him (#4 at best). Don't even know who the other two scrubs are.

I don't know who they are either, or if they even are Braves prospects. I was joking about the Wren's dignity line. Either way, its all off the page anyway.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
@SI_JonHeyman

Jon Heyman

source: pence was told during last night's game he was being pulled due to trade, but then he wasnt pulled. #tradedeadline

I'd rather have Pence too, but I hope this just drives up interest in Q.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
The other thing to look at is that the Sox aren't operating in a vacuum. Holding on to Quentin does not make this team better down the stretch, it makes it the same as it has been all season. Cleveland and Detroit are both getting better at the deadline, Cleveland will have a re-tooled OF by Sunday night and Detroit could add two starters. The Sox have nothing to deal on the farm to acquire prospects to make this team better this season.

Trading CQ makes opens up a roster spot for Viciedo, who most here have been pining for. Viciedo's production will not be at the level of CQ's this season, but the pieces that are acquired in a CQ deal could contribute, or be spun to fill a gap on the team. If Rios and Dunn are still on the team at the deadline this team is going nowhere unless their production picks up, and if it does that will cover any loss in production from CQ to DV.

The question isn't can the Sox win the division as it stands, because they could though they haven't been above .500 in three months, but can the Sox as they sit compete with a better Detroit team and a better Cleveland team, if not there really is no sense in not improving this teams financial situation as well as the chances to win down the road.

I think this is much different than the white flag in the 90's too, most Sox fans were pretty invested in that team and thought we had a chance, I think this time around most Sox fans are so disgusted with the effort and production on a game to game basis that re-tooling would not be seen nearly as negatively.

Its time to take a different approach to running this roster, stop trading for overpriced vets and build from the ground up, otherwise you are always hovering in the middle and that is not a good place to be. The Sox farm is the worst in the division, and in two-three years will be cellar dwellars if they can't get some young, inexpensive talent in the system.

I agree with this. I don't want the Sox to be the Astros or Orioles in a couple years. If they don't watch it, that's what will happen.

They should cut bait on some of the tradeable pieces, and yet still try to win. Who knows what some new blood might bring---maybe players that can actually beat the Twins!

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
is pence a lot better than quentin? since you hear more about the phills and braves fightining over him and not much about quentin

Slightly lower OPS but big defensive performance compared to Q.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
is pence a lot better than quentin? since you hear more about the phills and braves fightining over him and not much about quentin

CQ has a little more power. Pence has the advantage everywhere else. Plus Pence is durable and under team control for two more years after this one.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
CQ has a little more power. Pence has the advantage everywhere else. Plus Pence is durable and under team control for two more years after this one.

yea when i was looking at the numbers thats what i thought, cq pretty much just has more power. i was just wondering because they both seem to really want pence and havent been hearing much about cq anymore

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 05:57 AM)
I'm not sure if this team hasn't conjured up just as much anger as anything. We are down over 10% YoY in attendance, and we have yet to see any hop in summer numbers like we normally do. Usually this time of year we are drawing in the low 30's, which even if you look at he huge detroit numbers that were just here, we are still way down over where we should be. It sounds like to me like fans are already voting with their wallets, and they want change. What we have done hasn't worked, fans haven't been showing up. I'm not quite sure how much the ownership group is supposed to hold on to this in your eyes, but this has been coming for a while. the Sox are not the team to support a record payroll with a big drop in attendance and a team that hasn't been over .500 since April. The players failed, and now it looks like many are getting replaced. I can support that.

Oh, I agree that change is needed. I was hoping for a massive overhaul this winter (and not more of the unsustainable retooling-on-the-fly crap that hasn't worked over the past 2 1/2 years), and was pretty surprised that they decided to ADD payroll and sign Dunn instead. So, yeah, I'm completely on board with you here. I just think that doing it while 3 games out in July, in a bad division, and with a very talented lineup whose productivity has nowhere to go but up is crazy. Why not wait until December to move guys like Quentin and Danks? Sure, you'll get a little less for them than right now, but you're still going to get decent value for those guys. And there's the added bonus of no PR hit from giving up mid-season.

I imagine that vast majority of the current attendance drop-off is casual fans. And that's to be expected from Sox fans when the team has failed to live up to expectations for the past few years. If Kenny decides to deal somebody like Quentin or Danks right now, he's effectively cutting the legs off of a team that has a very legit chance at a division title. Prematurely shutting the window of opportunity on this team would send a bad message to the current season ticket-holders, reminding them of the unprofessionally-run organization that wasn't serious about winning back in the '90s.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
@Buster_ESPN

Buster Olney

Braves view those four guys as a hugely important part of their future; I seriously doubt they would move them for any available player.

He's referencing Teheran, Vizcaino, Minor and Delgado

If true, then move on from the Braves and focus on Philly. If you can't get at least one stud pitching prospect for CQ then we're better off keeping him.

Edited by Jordan4life