AND THATS A wHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see the game. Obviously excellent pitching.

13 Ks total. Wow.

Danks threw that many pitches in six innings? 116? WTF. He struck out 10. Lotsa foul balls?

So DeAza hits a home run in his first game of the year? Wow.

How bout a little Viciedo now when his thumb feels better.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
13 Ks total. Wow.

Danks threw that many pitches in six innings? 116? WTF. He struck out 10. Lotsa foul balls?

Lotta strikeouts, lotta movement on his pitches, inconsistent strikezone

One inning he faced 5 guys, no one put the ball in play. 2 BB, 3 K's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Lotta strikeouts, lotta movement on his pitches, inconsistent strikezone

One inning he faced 5 guys, no one put the ball in play. 2 BB, 3 K's.

Interesting.

I like Danks.

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Ozzie said De Aza was "in the right place at the right time" and "He’s going to see some playing time, and hopefully he can help us.”

from twitter

Right place at the right time huh Ozzie? Wow our manager has some major issues

I didn't know where to post this. So this thread will do. :)

So what's next as far as trades? Are they really gonna move Quentin being only 3.5 games back? He has carried this team several times this year.

Not like Detroit is a great 2nd half team either. They have to play Angels and Rangers upcoming in back to back series.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Maybe this win saved us from White Flag II. Or, at least, put it on temporary hold. It'll be an interesting 50 hours before we play next, and just as interesting until the trade deadline. This was a must win series.

Any chance we can all agree not to use the term White Flag on this site ever again? The Indians were a far better team and franchise in 1997 and were just waiting to make a move in the division. They won the pennant and ended up just short of their first title since 1954. The concept of the White Flag was a fabrication for headlines more than anything else. The only mistake was JR publicly stating the Sox weren't going to catch Cleveland, even though he was correct. The White Sox were a middling team that year and going nowhere. Kind of like this year.

Konerko and Quentin were the reason the White Sox did not score more today. They looked lost all day sans Quentin's fouls balls in the 8th.

Was the umpire as bad as it appeared? Seeemd like Danks had good stuff but was getting no called strikes.

It was a really bad game although I upgraded to great seats and it beat work.

Dunn looks locked in right now. Could be a good week.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Any chance we can all agree not to use the term White Flag on this site ever again? The Indians were a far better team and franchise in 1997 and were just waiting to make a move in the division. They won the pennant and ended up just short of their first title since 1954. The concept of the White Flag was a fabrication for headlines more than anything else. The only mistake was JR publicly stating the Sox weren't going to catch Cleveland, even though he was correct. The White Sox were a middling team that year and going nowhere. Kind of like this year.

Umm, no. The trade in 1997 was a white flag trade. They were 3 out of first when it happened, and in very similar position to where this years team is. If a few major parts are traded away before the deadline, it will be white flag II.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)

You could not be more correct and it just proves how little the media actually know about sports.

This year would be a white flag but all of the teams suck

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
You could not be more correct and it just proves how little the media actually know about sports.

The Sox were literally in almost in the identical place in the standings and recordwise then as they are now. Yet, it'd be a white flag trade now but not then?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
The Sox were literally in almost in the identical place in the standings and recordwise then as they are now. Yet, it'd be a white flag trade now but not then?

Well lets see... We traded three of our five starting pitchers and got back a boatload of prospects in 1997. In 2011 we had six starters and traded one, along with a bench player for a reliever and a prospect.

I can see how those would be similar.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
Well lets see... We traded three of our five starting pitchers and got back a boatload of prospects in 1997. In 2011 we had six starters and traded one, along with a bench player for a reliever and a prospect.

I can see how those would be similar.

But if we were to trade Danks or Floyd in the next few days... what say you then?

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)

White Flag

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Umm, no. The trade in 1997 was a white flag trade. They were 3 out of first when it happened, and in very similar position to where this years team is. If a few major parts are traded away before the deadline, it will be white flag II.

I know what the scenario was and I do not disagree that the Sox effectively conceded the division. My point is JR was correct. Three games out or not, the Sox were not going to catch Cleveland that year. I take exception to the sensationalizing of the trade that year. The whole "White Flag" b.s. was belabored for years and people still bring it up now. I think it had far more to do with JR's hawkish stance during the '94 strike and the Sox' rotten performance once the strike ended. Everyone hated Jerry, the fans had not come back to the park yet, and the team was facing some really down years with a lot of core contracts expiring at the end of that season. It was a great opportunity for the fans and media to ridicule JR and the Sox and they pretty much continued to do so even past the 2000 division title.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)

That is probably the only reason I say a fire sale this year would be a disappointing concession. There really is no team like the '97 Indians that wis obviously going to wake up and squash the opposition. On the other hand, with the division this bad, maybe all the more reason to gamble on getting some young talent that still has a chance to take the division this year and be set up in future years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)

I won't disagree with you here but I think most agree that the central division winner is likely a three and out team in the ALDS. Anything can happen, but the 2006 Cardinals are by far the exception. I prefer to unload some of the declining pricier players and try to infuse a little youth and energy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
It would take Danks and Floyd and no major leaguers in return to be the White Flag trade.

I agree. Or one of them and Quentin for minor league players. What has been done so far clearly isn't White Flag. I just contest that the circumstances right now that the team's in are similar to what they were in 1997. And for someone to say 1997 wasn't a White Flag trade is laughable, not even worth a discussion.

Edited by whitesoxfan101