Your Game 1 Starter in Playoffs

Marty34

There are a lot of moving parts involving the Sox right now. That said, I believe their best chance of winning a World Series this year is to have Sale in the rotation at some point. He's got the top of the rotation stuff needed to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees in a short series. Wonder if they are thinking outside the box with regards to him on 35th?

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
There are a lot of moving parts involving the Sox right now. That said, I believe their best chance of winning a World Series this year is to have Sale in the rotation sometime this year. He's got the top of the rotation stuff needed to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees in a short series. Wonder if they are thinking outside the box with regards to him on 35th?

Z5c8vwKH5M.jpg

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:53 PM)
There are a lot of moving parts involving the Sox right now. That said, I believe their best chance of winning a World Series this year is to have Sale in the rotation at some point. He's got the top of the rotation stuff needed to compete with the Red Sox and Yankees in a short series. Wonder if they are thinking outside the box with regards to him on 35th?

Let's make the playoffs first......

Danks, with how well he's pitched recently.

The problem is you don't want Danks/Buehrle back-to-back, and that leaves you deciding between Peavy/Humber/Floyd to start in between them.

If Peavy ever gets his stuff and stamina back, you have to go with Peavy (#2).

Probably Humber (at this exact moment), but his last couple of starts have been shaky, and Floyd's Version 1B/2A of Edwin Jackson.

It's saying something that we still have 5 (and recently 6) guys you could easily argue should be starting 1-2-3 in a playoff rotation.

Of course, there are PLENTY of legit arguments against all 3 of our righties. Peavy, Humber and Floyd.

Edited by caulfield12

Sale better go to Charlotte in the next couple of weeks if they plan on that happening.

Just don't see it with how well he's MOSTLY done the last couple of months....especially considering KW might trade Thornton.

If his ERA kept climbing to 5 (six weeks ago), then you could see no legit reason not to commence the starting experiment ASAP.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Danks, with how well he's pitched recently.

The problem is you don't want Danks/Buehrle back-to-back, and that leaves you deciding between Peavy/Humber/Floyd to start in between them.

If Peavy ever gets his stuff and stamina back, you have to go with Peavy (#2).

Probably Humber (at this exact moment), but his last couple of starts have been shaky, and Floyd's Version 1B/2A of Edwin Jackson.

It's saying something that we still have 5 (and recently 6) guys you could easily argue should be starting 1-2-3 in a playoff rotation.

Of course, there are PLENTY of legit arguments against all 3 of our righties. Peavy, Humber and Floyd.

Seriously? Please give it up with peavy. He is not getting his stuff back. He is no longer an ace and I want him nowhere near starting a playoff game

Danks

Mark

Floyd

Humber

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
It's only been two starts, but JD has been electric since coming off the DL. If keeps this up, Ozzie would have a tough decision there.

He has the track record to be the one guy that could possibly take over for Buehrle, I completely agree.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
Seriously? Please give it up with peavy. He is not getting his stuff back. He is no longer an ace and I want him nowhere near starting a playoff game

Danks

Mark

Floyd

Humber

I actually agree with you but he's shown through 70 pitches that he can still be a very effective pitcher. Maybe(huge maybe) if he can build up some arm strength he can at least be a viable option come playoff time.

Also, the one guarantee if we did indeed make the playoffs is that Ozzie would not throw Danks and Mark back to back.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
I actually agree with you but he's shown through 70 pitches that he can still be a very effective pitcher. Maybe(huge maybe) if he can build up some arm strength he can at least be a viable option come playoff time.

Also, the one guarantee if we did indeed make the playoffs is that Ozzie would not throw Danks and Mark back to back.

Maybe so but a guy who can only throw 70 pitches should not start a playoff game. You can't destroy a bullphen like that in a short series.

You could be right about him not throwing them back to back but that doesn't make sense to me. They are not at all the same type of pitcher and just because they are both lefthanded isn't reason enough

With our offense (as is), you want the guy most likely to limit the other team to 0-2 runs.

That's Danks.

If you're going for the starter most likely of all to pitch well enough (no matter his stuff) to keep you in the game, then you go Buehrle.

With our lack of playoff history, it's probably a better idea to try to take Game 1 and then roll the dice.