Do you think KW is struggling right now?

harfman77

By his comments earlier in the week that there were a lot of teams rooting for the Tigers this week, it seems he has a lot his deals already lined up in case this team still didn't show any signs of life. With the reports that teams are sweetening their deals now, you wonder if KW is struggling to hold this together when the returns keep increasing.

If Philly were to offer Brown and Biddle for instance, could you really keep Quentin?

If the Yanks would give up Banuelos and Romine for Danks?

That would be difficult for me to say no to in either case.

I think KW's in a tough spot right now. If this were another division, the decision to sell would be easy. But with the AL Central being so bad, the Sox are right in the thick of it. I would imagine even right now if a great package was offered (like Brown and Biddle), it'd be tough to say no.

I think JR is struggling more than anyone. He put the owners' money out there only to see this product be put on the field, now he has to sell off pieces so that they don't lose too much money while also deciding whether he should put in a vote of confidence in the man who put this team together. Jerry has to decide now the future of the team, KW went and got the trades in place, but JR will have to decide if he wants to retool (and most likely mean a new GM) or continue to spend around $100 mill on payroll.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
I think KW's in a tough spot right now. If this were another division, the decision to sell would be easy. But with the AL Central being so bad, the Sox are right in the thick of it. I would imagine even right now if a great package was offered (like Brown and Biddle), it'd be tough to say no.

Problem is will Dunn Rios and Peavy's contracts hurt our chances of competing next year

IMO it's essential that Sale is in the rotation next year

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
Problem is will Dunn Rios and Peavy's contracts hurt our chances of competing next year

IMO it's essential that Sale is in the rotation next year

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm less concerned with Dunn's contract than those of Rios and Peavy. I think if KW can trade Rios and even have the suckers...I mean other team take on half of his salary, it'll improve the outlook.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
I think the deals that KW has been working on were going to happen regardless of the result of this week or last week. 2 weeks of good is not going to negate 3 1/2 months of suck/mediocre.

Yeah, I think KW is definitely in a tough place. But it is all self-induced. These contracts he's dished out are approaching Jim Hendry status. From my perspective, he would have loved to have done the EJax/Thornton deal for Colby Rasmus. But I think the ability to coax Toronto in to taking Teahen's miserable contract was enough for him to pass on Rasmus, b.c there is no other excuse not to pull that deal on our end. Matt Thornton was clearly starting to show some downside.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
I think the deals that KW has been working on were going to happen regardless of the result of this week or last week. 2 weeks of good is not going to negate 3 1/2 months of suck/mediocre.

No doubt about it in my mind.

I think KW could have had Rasmus had he really wanted him.

Clearly, after the experience they had with Swisher and the same issue, they were steering clear of bringing the same type of distraction into the clubhouse again. Doesn't seem like the player you want on your team when things are going bad for him personally.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)

Clearly, after the experience they had with Swisher and the same issue, they were steering clear of bringing the same type of distraction into the clubhouse again. Doesn't seem like the player you want on your team when things are going bad for him personally.

I wonder if the possibility of La Russa managing the Sox again had anything to do with it as well?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)

I don't think the Swisher issue was the same at all. Swisher was an attention whore and a big baby. Colby is a cocky kid who needs some direction and guidance. He can change.