Thornton to the Texas Rangers?

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read earlier that the Rangers are nearing a deal for Heath Bell.

I read somewhere that the Rangers are more willing to take Thornton because he has a few years left on his contract. Plus he's a lefty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
It is what he has to do.

Is it me or does it seem like the Rangers are always looking to add every good player, no matter what their organizational needs are?

I mean, they could use a reliever, but I feel like it's like "Oh Rangers add Napoli AND Yorvit Torrealba AND Beltre to push Young to full-time DH..." and "Oh yeah Rangers also in on all the starters even though they have one of the lowest starter ERAs in the league" and "ALso Rangers in on Beltran despite having Hamilton and Cruz in the corners and the third highest CF WAR in the majors, not to mention three guys fighting for the DH slot."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Is it me or does it seem like the Rangers are always looking to add every good player, no matter what their organizational needs are?

I mean, they could use a reliever, but I feel like it's like "Oh Rangers add Napoli AND Yorvit Torrealba AND Beltre to push Young to full-time DH..." and "Oh yeah Rangers also in on all the starters even though they have one of the lowest starter ERAs in the league" and "ALso Rangers in on Beltran despite having Hamilton and Cruz in the corners and the third highest CF WAR in the majors, not to mention three guys fighting for the DH slot."

Right. Other teams want to have a 28 man roster, we have to make do with 23.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)

If by always, you mean the last year, then yes.

JimBowdenESPNxm

Rangers have plan B in works if they're unable to get H.Bell in deadline deal with Padres:how long do they wait until they go to B?

Edit:

Looks like Thornton isn't plan B...

The Rangers appear to be involved in serious talks with the Padres and A's regarding relievers, according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News (on Twitter)
Edited by hi8is

DEREK HOLLAND

1 year/$431,810M (2011)

re-signed by Texas 2/17/11

1 year/$414,430 (2010)

re-signed by Texas 2/24/10

1 year (2009)

contract purchased by Texas 4/18/09

drafted 2006 (25-748) (Wallace State CC, Ala.) (draft & follow)

$0.2M signing bonus

ML service: 1.120

That would be a great "payroll" move again to save on Thornton...since we basically paid him pseudo-closer money based on expectations coming into this season with that extension.

Edited by caulfield12

Danks?...ok this is getting ridiculous.

Sounds like Kenny is just dipping his toes in the water to see what they can get in the off season. I still doubt the Sox make a major move, even though I don't think they'll ever catch the Tigers....sorry, I don't.

Edited by flavum

I still think we should just trade Danks to the Yankees.

That will save a lot of money on his travel expenses since he can simply stay in town Sunday night.

Would much rather see that than Mark Buehrle on the dreaded NY squad.

Who the heck is their #2 starter if the playoffs started today? AJ Burnett? REALLY?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
@Ken_Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal

Source: #Rangers would only move Holland for Thornton if #WhiteSox expanded deal to include a starter such as Danks. #tradedeadline #MLB

Seems like they're fairly far apart.

Expand the deal? That would be a true blockbuster if it included Danks . How bout Doug Davis :P