BoSox @ ChiSox 7/29/11 Gamethread (7:10 CT/8:10 ET)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
It's definitely shaping up that he'll be kept and then traded in the offseason. That might be best for the organization, as you wouldn't "white flag" this season and then try to get some cost-controlled help for next year. It wouldn't shock me if Viciedo's injury is worse than they've let on, but we don't want to announce it until after the deadline.

It's nothing like Quentin's hamate bone injury from late 2008, is it?

Wrist? Strained/sprained/microfractured?

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)
I've never understood how, for a few years now, the Sox carry a certain swagger when facing elite teams. Put them up against the Royals or Twins and they walk around like they're scared sh**less. Makes no sense.

Scouting reports and familiarity? I swear the reason that the Twins dominate us is based on how they pitch our hitters.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
It's definitely shaping up that he'll be kept and then traded in the offseason. That might be best for the organization, as you wouldn't "white flag" this season and then try to get some cost-controlled help for next year. It wouldn't shock me if Viciedo's injury is worse than they've let on, but we don't want to announce it until after the deadline.

It is a little discouraging that while teams were obviously 'interested', nobody really came off as wanting to pony up for CQ. Have to imagine durability concerns and his current contract status played a big role.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 02:05 AM)
It is a little discouraging that while teams were obviously 'interested', nobody really came off as wanting to pony up for CQ. Have to imagine durability concerns and his current contract status played a big role.

I think teams like Quentin, it's just that Pence was such a perfect fit for what the Phillies wanted.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
I've never understood how, for a few years now, the Sox carry a certain swagger when facing elite teams. Put them up against the Royals or Twins and they walk around like they're scared sh**less. Makes no sense.

We're not scared against the Royals. But we did used to simply intimidate them and have KC beaten before the series would start from 1993-2006.

We've also faced a lot of guys we'd never seen before (Paulino/Duffy) and the bad luck of Bruce Chen in rhythm 2 times.

Didn't realize Gio Gonzalez was all the way down to a 2.67 ERA. 124 K's in 124 IP. Thanks for taking down the Twins tonight, GIO.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
I think teams like Quentin, it's just that Pence was such a perfect fit for what the Phillies wanted.

I've been on a couple Philly boards the last few days. And take this with a grain of salt. But it appears it was Pence or bust for Philly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
It's nothing like Quentin's hamate bone injury from late 2008, is it?

Wrist? Strained/sprained/microfractured?

He broke that thumb on a hbp in spring training, and they just said he had a bout of soreness with it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:14 AM)
I had to endure 5 minutes at the gym today if Kurkjian telling me why Pedroias hitting streak would clearly reach 30 games. Thanks guys!

Emilio lost his hit streak tonight. Uggla with a shocking 20 game hit streak going.