Sox/Danks have talked numbers but "nothing too serious"

southsider2k5

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Trade him to the Yankees this weekend while he still has high value.

Seriously, lets do this . . . I mean, I've been hoping for a rebuild mode for the last 4 years. I'm tired of watching this losing baseball (or barely winning baseball) . . . Lets get some young blood in here. Sell off Danks, Quentin, Thornton . . . I know Rios, Dunn and Peavy are going nowhere . . . But try to completely retool. I make sure to attend as many games as I can, but watching the same type of team every year is making me not want to go. I'd be more inclined to go if I could watch some up and coming type guys.

QUOTE (kageman129 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)
Seriously, lets do this . . . I mean, I've been hoping for a rebuild mode for the last 4 years. I'm tired of watching this losing baseball (or barely winning baseball) . . . Lets get some young blood in here. Sell off Danks, Quentin, Thornton . . . I know Rios, Dunn and Peavy are going nowhere . . . But try to completely retool. I make sure to attend as many games as I can, but watching the same type of team every year is making me not want to go. I'd be more inclined to go if I could watch some up and coming type guys.

Who do we get for the Yankees for Danks?

3-4 guys we've never heard of who will never make the bigs? I'd rather keep him and let him go free agent when the time comes.

Because our draft picks have done so well?

We're much better off getting guys like Stewart that Cooper has identified (AA/AAA level already) than starting off from scratch with draft picks.

This has been true for at least a decade. I trust those scouts looking at the other teams' minor leaguers more than our luck in identifying draftees.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
Because our draft picks have done so well?

We're much better off getting guys like Stewart that Cooper has identified (AA/AAA level already) than starting off from scratch with draft picks.

This has been true for at least a decade. I trust those scouts looking at the other teams' minor leaguers more than our luck in identifying draftees.

History shows the guys we have scouting minor league pitching are the best thing in our organization.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
History shows the guys we have scouting minor league pitching are the best thing in our organization.

Then how did we under value our own minor league/young pitchers like Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Hudson?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
Then how did we under value our own minor league/young pitchers like Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Hudson?

KW overplayed his hand and way overvalued how much Cooper could get out of Edwin Jackson for 1+ seasons.

He chose fully competing in 2010-11 (right away) over 2012-2015.

Obviously, that looks silly in hindsight. And ofc we had Gio Gonzalez in our organization TWICE. Maybe it's a testimony to how desired he was by other organizations.

Still, he was able to compensate for that loss by picking up Humber for nothing. Phil's numbers are better than Hudson's, especially if you adjust for league.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)
KW overplayed his hand and way overvalued how much Cooper could get out of Edwin Jackson for 1+ seasons.

Obviously, that looks silly in hindsight. And ofc we had Gio Gonzalez in our organization TWICE. Maybe it's a testimony to how desired he was by other organizations.

Still, he was able to compensate for that loss by picking up Humber for nothing. Phil's numbers are better than Hudson's, especially if you adjust for league.

The first time we traded him, he got us Jim Thome. We got him back with Gavin.

QUOTE (kageman129 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Seriously, lets do this . . . I mean, I've been hoping for a rebuild mode for the last 4 years. I'm tired of watching this losing baseball (or barely winning baseball) . . . Lets get some young blood in here. Sell off Danks, Quentin, Thornton

Since when the hell is 26 years of age old? Everyone here knows my feelings on Danks. I want this guy signed here for a few years. He still has alot of untapped potential. I'm by far the highest on him than anyone on our staff.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:52 AM)
Since when the hell is 26 years of age old? Everyone here knows my feelings on Danks. I want this guy signed here for a few years. He still has alot of untapped potential. I'm by far the highest on him than anyone on our staff.

I just can't see the Whitesox giving him 6 years and 90M, no way, but some team most likely will. I also don't see us selling at the deadline here either, KW wants to go for it and given how winnable this division is I cannot blame him. More than likely we deal him in the offseason IMO...

SoxAce, it's all about expected revenues vs. payroll allocation.

Let's assume the Sox stand pat, the Tigers make a couple of "go for broke" moves and end up winning the division.

White Sox payroll will be slashed to $95-110 million, I think it's a fairly good bet, ESPECIALLY if Buehrle's gone. Maybe we're at the $110-120 mark WITH MARK.

It's the same argument as getting rid of Lee/Ordonez/Valentin and bringing in AJ/Pods/Dye/Iguchi/Hermanson/Vizcaino/El Duque to replace them.

We're very likely to be stuck with Dunn/Peavy/Rios going into 2012, and those three moves are exactly what are going to crowd Danks out of the picture...that, and concerns about long-term pitching contracts (demonstrated yet again with Peavy's situation) going against the clubs that give them out about 90% of the time.

And Danks just ISN'T that special kind of pitcher, like a Maddux/Smoltz/Glavine, that you build your entire rotation around, going forward. He's very very good, but those contract dollars aren't generating enough revenue compared to the potential payoff (both payroll savings) of trading him and being able to get yourself some financial breathing room and flexibility again. Is he likely to end up like Barry Zito? Doubt it. Is he close to Sabathia/Lester or even Romero? Probably not again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:29 PM)

Take a look at Edwin Jackson's numbers with the Sox and tell me he was anything but very good.

11-9, 3.66 ERA, 30 starts, 196.2 IP, 207 H, 16 HR, 57 BB, 174 K, ERA+ 114

He did pretty damn good with us, but no one seems to remember.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
Take a look at Edwin Jackson's numbers with the Sox and tell me he was anything but very good.

11-9, 3.66 ERA, 30 starts, 196.2 IP, 207 H, 16 HR, 57 BB, 174 K, ERA+ 114

He did pretty damn good with us, but no one seems to remember.

I approve of this post.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-white-sox.html

MINNEAPOLIS — John Danks isn’t sure of the end game in all of this, but he said the idea that he’s simply biding his time with the White Sox so he can explore free agency after the 2012 season couldn’t be further from the truth.

Danks told the Sun-Times on Sunday that while all has been quiet recently, he and his agent, Jeff Berry, have had some talks with the organization and that he wants to stay with the Sox.

“There’s been a little bit of talks here and there, but nothing super serious,’’ Danks said. “It hasn’t gotten to the point where it’s been a back-and-forth negotiation. It’s been more, ‘OK, we’ll throw this out there, No, OK then we’ll throw this out there.’ It will be another ‘No,’ and then it kind of dies out.

“This is my first choice. I love it here. This is all I know, and I love ­everything about it. I’ve heard it said that I want free agency, I want to go back to Texas, I just want to move on. That couldn’t be further from the truth, so we’ll see how it works out. There’s a business side to it, and I think it goes both ways. It will play out the way it’s supposed to play out, and hopefully that’s here.’’

The talk during the All-Star break was that Danks wanted Mark Buehrle-type money, which means an average of $14 million a year. He made $6 million this season, and the Sox still have control of him for one more year of arbitration before he would hit the open market.

“To be totally honest, Jeff and I haven’t talked about that in a while,’’ Danks said. “I wouldn’t even know what Jeff would be looking for from the Sox, what his target would be, so the idea that I’m looking for Mark Buehrle money, I don’t know where that came from. As far as having a set goal or what not, your guess is as good as mine.’’

But the 26-year-old southpaw also knows that there’s a good chance, with the way this disappointing year has played out, that he could be part of a salary-dump trade this offseason. With the payroll at $127 million at the start of 2011, and the Sox taking a huge hit attendance-wise, a clean-up job would seem more appropriate than anything else for general manager Ken Williams.

There were rumors at the trade deadline that Danks, Gavin Floyd and Carlos Quentin were being discussed in deals, but Williams held his hand rather than raise the white flag.

Unless the Sox show some serious life in the next seven weeks, Williams might be forced to pull the trigger on trades by chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

“I think [Floyd and I] would be two of the more likely guys to go if they went that direction,’’ Danks said. “I can’t see them doing that, personally, just because we have [Adam] Dunn and [Alex] Rios coming back, so you have pieces there for next year. But if it comes down to that point and they’re looking to go that way, Gavin and I would be possibly two of the first guys to go.’’

Danks is counting on the Sox keeping part of the core intact — and his agent, who also represents Buehrle, getting another deal done.

“I think Jeff and [assistant GM] Rick [Hahn], it seems like they have more than just a business relationship,’’ Danks said. “They can say hello and be friendly and what not. So I think it only helps.

“But my job is to go out, pitch and try and win games. You just hope that it works out after that.’’

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 04:52 AM)

Alright, I didn't mean that 26 wasn't young. I guess I mean "new blood" or rookies even. Like I've said, I'm just tired of seeing the same brand of baseball - underacheiving. The last 4 days it has been more fun to watch, they play like they actually want to prove something . . . But otherwise, its just going through the motions to collect their money and go home. At least with rookies 9 times out of 10 they are hustling after everything - Until lately, I haven't seen much hustle on this team.

$18 million will be "crazy" money to JR.

Anything over $14-15 million, anything over 3 years, he'd be advised to walk away.

Danks is just not consistent enough or dominating enough to get that kind of money from the White Sox.

If they didn't have all the other bad contracts on the book, you could at least think about it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a period where no contracts for longer than 3 years went to a Sox player (except someone like Konerko/Buehrle who's already on the team).

Danks makes little sense to this team going forward without Floyd/Buehrle also staying in the rotation. Humber's just too shaky and we don't have a clue what we might have with Sale as a starter yet.

Edited by caulfield12