Ubaldo Jimenez headed to Cleveland

Kalapse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
Rockies wanted more. They apparently called the Indians' bluff.

And the Indians should fold that hand. The Rockies better hope for their sake Ubaldo doesn't get injured. Very weird seeing my second favorite team handling a trade situation like this.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
And the Indians should fold that hand. The Rockies better hope for their sake Ubaldo doesn't get injured. Very weird seeing my second favorite team handling a trade situation like this.

i think it was brilliant

wanted a fourth player and said "hey, we aren't afraid to keep our guy if you don't give us a 4th"

and it worked. love it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
But doesn't that open them up to having to at least give Ubaldo a pretty thorough physical exam and battery of MRI's before it's approved?

Especially if his velocity was noticeably down?

it was just one inning.

i'm pretty sure the indians don't care that much.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
it was just one inning.

i'm pretty sure the indians don't care that much.

Yes I'm sure they don't care a guy they want is mentally unstable. (not to mention getting shelled doesn't feel too good to the psyche, and velocity was down 3 MPH) I feel for Ubaldo, but it is a business. Just don't like how the Rockies handled that one at all regardless of price demands. Other GMs also talk around the league about handling specific business. s***, getting either White or Pomeranz was a great deal for the Rockies, yet alone getting BOTH guys (though we'll see that comes to be true of the rumors).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Yes I'm sure they don't care a guy they want is mentally unstable. (not to mention getting shelled doesn't feel too good to the psyche, and velocity was down 3 MPH) I feel for Ubaldo, but it is a business. Just don't like how the Rockies handled that one at all regardless of price demands. Other GMs also talk around the league about handling specific business. s***, getting either White or Pomeranz was a great deal for the Rockies, yet alone getting BOTH guys.

You've got to figure that the Rockies had motive to do that...that they felt Cleveland was dragging their feet or something like that.

It's like one of those movies where they ask the protagonist to shoot someone (who's blindfolded) in the head to see if he'll go through with it...only later does the shooter find out he actually didn't kill anyone. It might work...but it's foolhardy as a long-term method of "honest dealing."

Win the battle, lose the war, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

The Rockies stated all along they wanted four close to mlb ready players.

The risk of injury is absolutely minimal.

He could injure himself simply if the negotiations were to take place tomorrow instead of today.

The Rockies were prepared to hold on to him if they didn't get exactly what they wanted, and so they pitched him, as they normally would, until they got exactly that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:33 PM)
The Rockies stated all along they wanted four close to mlb ready players.

The risk of injury is absolutely minimal.

He could injure himself simply if the negotiations were to take place tomorrow instead of today.

The Rockies were prepared to hold on to him if they didn't get exactly what they wanted, and so they pitched him, as they normally would, until they got exactly that.

It is one thing when they state their demands and the sides are negotiating/far apart. Its another when the two sides have pretty much agreed to 95% of it and they wanted prospect A instead of prospect B as the 4th player and STILL pitch the guy they no longer will be their property.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
well regardless - helluva deal for Colorado. Pomeranz, White, McBride and Joe Gardner.

Sick. For a pitcher who isn't even all that good (Jimenez)

How do you explain your opinion of Rasmus if you're going to say that about Ubaldo?

Jimenez since 2010 All-Star break (not counting today):

35 GS, 216.2 IP, 4.03 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, 8.2 H/9, 3.9 BB/9, 2.33 K/BB and his fastball is down from an average velocity of 96.1 last year to 93.4 this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
How do you explain your opinion of Rasmus if you're going to say that about Ubaldo?

1) position scarcity. much harder to find a good CF than SP

2) Rasmus is MUCH younger. Rasmus already has a great track record, especially for a guy his age. He's already outproduced guys like Beltran at the same age.

1) Since June 1 of last year he's had about a 4 ERA (4 this year and 4.08 from june on last season). Which is the outlier?

2) Ubaldo is already 27 and hit his peak. And that was a fantastic 2010. This year he's got a 4 era. I think that's a lot more likely going forward than sub-3, though I'd imagine he'll be a mid-high 3's more often than not

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)

35 GS, 216.2 IP, 4.03 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 9.0 K/9, 8.2 H/9, 3.9 BB/9, 2.33 K/BB and his fastball is down from an average velocity of 96.1 last year to 93.4 this year.

Hasn't Ubaldo's velocity increased the last month or so? I know it was down to start the season. But in the games I've seen of late he's been consistently poppin' 95.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)

a-thank you

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
Hasn't Ubaldo's velocity increased the last month or so? I know it was down to start the season. But in the games I've seen of late he's been consistently poppin' 95.

His velocity has been inconsistent

His average fastball in his last start was 93.3/93.8 (FF/FT) topping out at 96.2, he hit 95+ 7 times out of 47 fastballs.

In the start before that he was at 94.4/93.7 topping out 96.3 hitting 95+ 21 times out of 67 fastballs.

Here's his velocity chart from fangraphs:

3374_P_FA_20110724.png

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
His velocity has been inconsistent

His average fastball in his last start was 93.3/93.8 (FF/FT) topping out at 96.2, he hit 95+ 7 times out of 47 fastballs.

In the start before that he was at 94.4/93.7 topping out 96.3 hitting 95+ 21 times out of 67 fastballs.

Here's his velocity chart from fangraphs:

3374_P_FA_20110724.png

wow. that paints a pretty obvious picture there.