Putting the Rios contract disaster into context...

caulfield12

In case you were wondering, the biggest salary hit ever taken by a team was the Arizona Diamondbacks for pitcher Russ Ortiz, whom they still owed $22.5 million when they cut him in June of 2006. That occurred barely a year after the D-Backs gave Ortiz a four-year, $33.5 million contract, for which he produced a 5-16 record.

Kevin Appier was owed $15.7 million by the Angels when they cut him in July of 2003. During spring training this year, the Mets cut Oliver Perez and had to pay him $12 million for 2011 -- after already absorbing $6 million from cutting Luis Castillo earlier in spring..

Other notable salary dumps include Gary Sheffield (owed $14 million by the Tigers when they axed him in 2009), Geoff Jenkins (owed $8 million by the Phillies in 2009), Damion Easley ($14.3 million by Detroit, 2003), Jay Gibbons ($11.9 million by Baltimore, 2008), Greg Vaughn ($9.25 by Tampa Bay, 2002), Frank Thomas ($7 million by Toronto, 2008), Matt Williams ($6.6 million by Arizona, 2003).

Some other recent examples are Milton Bradley, Richie Sexson and Carlos Silva.

By my calculations....we owe Rios around $43.5 million from now through the buyout which mercifully ends his contract.

In all seriousness, what can/should KW do?

Can they put him on the physically/mentally unable to perform list? Does that even exist in baseball? Ask him to check into counseling? Send him home (bereavement list for his 433 OPS on the road) and pay his salary but ask him not to come back until Spring Training 2012? Ask Bud Selig to suspend him (using the JR connection) on the basis that his play on the field "is not in the best interest of the game of baseball." Have a fan lawsuit against the Sox and/or the anti-trust exemption to have their tickets refunded because of his play this season isn't representative of major league baseball or professionalism?

Can you even afford to have him around Sox youngsters or the clubhouse ever again?

How can Ozzie or KW justify not pulling him off the field immediately after what happened earlier this season?

Edited by caulfield12

At this point, you either got to eat 75-90% of his salary and hope there are some fools out there who think they can fix him. If not, then I think you gotta say see ya and cut him. If you are trying to build a winning team, there is no way you can justify keeping him.

Adam Dunn looks like Charlie Hustle compared to Rios.

I wish Reinsdorf was the type of owner that would just dump this guy, or authorize picking up 75% of the rest of his contract just to get him out of here.

It would really suck if we have to watch this guy 3 more years, and if Dunn is the same Dunn at the same time....I don't even want to think about it.

Just wait until Escobar, Lawrie and Rasmus all blow up in your face, J4L.

It's too much like the KW philosophy. Taking talented players who may or may not fit together (and, who, for some reason are available because of injury concerns, nonperformance, attitude, stuck behind a player)...sometimes it works wonderfully, but it can also have disastrous results as we're seeing with Rios now.

Unfortunately, all the good GMing that's represented by Danks/Floyd/Viciedo/Ramirez/Quentin/Humber/Santos has been completely undercut by Teahen/Linebrink/Dunn/Peavy/Rios, and, to a lesser extent, Juan Pierre. Combine that with both Swisher trades, Javy and E-JAX/Hudson.

And the complete enigma that is Gordon Beckham....whoever you want to blame there.

Lastings Milledge, for example....although normally KW would be a team prior to where we eventually ended up picking him up. At this point, Milledge and DeAza were super low-risk moves, but normally he's given up talent.

Edited by caulfield12

EncoreBaseball Les Jays ont eu raison de laisser aller pour rien Alex Rios après qu'il a signé contrat de 70 millions $ en 2009,... http://fb.me/MyU0HJIV

8 minutes ago

rockwithjdt RT @spacemnkymafia: Don't worry, White Sox fans. You only have to pay Alex Rios for... FOUR AND A HALF MORE YEARS HAHAHAHAHAHA (well, actually 3 1/3rd with buyout)

9 minutes ago

CSNChi_Beatnik Ozzie supporting Rios to the bitter end; Alex is in the lineup, in CF, on Sunday. Pierre gets a breather, Lilli in LF. 15 minutes ago

CSNChi_Beatnik The Alex Rios Experience scores a hit with five media awaiting him for five minutes while he slowly dressed post: "I'm not talking tonight." 18 minutes ago

rebaldacci “@richardroeper: Alex "Blame it on" Rios: grab some bench.”one of his 5 tools is Lolly-gagging 40 minutes ago

HoosierTom1985 Alex Rios is a walking talking s***bomb! #WhiteSox

40 minutes ago

onekevinmiller Congrats alex rios on surplanting eddie robinson as my least favorite player to wear my favorite teams uniform

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
Just wait until Escobar, Lawrie and Rasmus all blow up in your face, J4L.

It's too much like the KW philosophy. Taking talented players who may or may not fit together (and, who, for some reason are available because of injury concerns, nonperformance, stuck behind a player)...sometimes it works wonderfully, but it can also have disastrous results as we're seeing with Rios now.

Unfortunately, all the good GMing that's represented by Danks/Floyd/Viciedo/Ramirez/Quentin/Humber/Santos has been completely undercut by Teahen/Linebrink/Dunn/Peavy/Rios, and, to a lesser extent, Juan Pierre.

And the complete enigma that is Gordon Beckham....whoever you want to blame there.

Blow up in my face? Going by WAR, Escobar has been the 4th best SS in baseball. What's Alex Gonzalez doing? Lawrie is one of the elite prospects in baseball. Rasmus has already proven himself to a degree and is oozing potential. And none of them are making $12 million a year for the next 18 years. AA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KW

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
Blow up in my face? Going by WAR, Escobar has been the 4th best SS in baseball. What's Alex Gonzalez doing? Lawrie is one of the elite prospects in baseball. Rasmus has already proven himself to a degree and is oozing potential. And none of them are making $12 million a year for the next 18 years. AA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KW

Hell, Anthopoulos got rid of Vernon Wells. What more do you need to say about him?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
I don't like this. You've been agreeing with me all day. Tell the truth. You've been drinking. I know I have.

Maybe i have, but man, he got rid of Vernon Wells and the Blue Jays had to pay 0 of his $21 million years.

There are some troubling signs already with Escobar.

Today he really "lollygagged" to 1B and got thrown out by an eyelash. Instead of being embarassed he got thrown out when he wasn't busting it down the line, he ends up getting tossed by the first base umpire after about 5 seconds of argument.

That's not the kind of play or example which was acceptable to the Braves organization.

Look what has happened with the White Sox, KW and Guillen accepting/empowering/enabling Alex Rios for the past 12 months? There's just no way he can have the respect of any veteran in that clubhouse. Any goodwill or reserve he had left remaining in the tank was eroded tonight.

And yet he's going to trot Rios out to CF again tomorrow. Is he really insane? The fans will eat him alive after tonight. There's no going back now. What a trainwreck.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
There are some trouble signs already with Escobar.

Today he really "lollygagged" to 1B and got thrown out by an eyelash. Instead of being embarassed he got thrown out when he wasn't busting it down the line, he ends up getting tossed by the first base umpire after about 5 seconds of argument.

That's not the kind of play or example which was acceptable to the Braves organization.

Look what has happened with the White Sox, KW and Guillen accepting/empowering/enabling Alex Rios for the past 12 months? There's just no way he can have the respect of any veteran in that clubhouse. Any goodwill or reserve he had left remaining in the tank was eroded tonight.

And yet he's going to trot Rios out to CF again tomorrow. Is he really insane? The fans will eat him alive after tonight. There's no going back now. What a trainwreck.

You don't get it. Let's say they all eventually fail for whatever reason(s). They're not going to cripple the franchise with a ridiculous contract that we simply cannot get rid of without eating at least 90% of the cash. I've got nothing left to say about Ozzie and KW. I hate them both. I hate them like I hate Justin Long. A horrible actor who makes millions for no reason.

I don't know, at least he was okay on ED.

Tom Green, Orlando Bloom or Freddie Prinze, Jr., I'd have to agree with you.

The irony, of course, is that it would have been seen as one of the most brilliant/daring GM moves ever if he actually had traded Rios this past offseason like the Jays managed with Vernon Wells and gotten anything of value back in return. That would have been the ultimate "in your face" GM move.

This is just bad karma/payback for Mike Sirotka. David Wells ended up destroying the 2001 team...now Rios is succeeding with the 2009-11 squads.

I really wonder when JR turns off the tv or goes home from games like this who he's really more upset with...it has to be KW right now, with Ozzie close on his heels for not benching Rios right away and then turning around and starting him tomorrow. That's disrespecting the fans, the entire White Sox organization, the game of baseball....Ozzie and KW are both locked in an insane power struggle and it's going to end with assured mutual self-destruction of not only themselves but the entire goodwill this team has built up with the city of Chicago since 2005.

Edited by caulfield12