Ozzie confirms Rios will be in lineup tomorrow

macsandz

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
Said it in his post game presser

After tonight's inexcusable performance AND what KW said publicly just days ago...?

This team just insists on killing any kind of momentum. On the field and off.

I think they're trying to get Rios on track. Let him face a left who is struggling. Maybe a couple of basehits will help him mentally.

Also, how does De Aza hit against lefties?

Bob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had good seats last night and saw the whole play develop. Reddick was off with 2 outs and a full count, but the Red Sox sent him all the way, gambling that Rios would lollygag. With the apparent exception of Ozzie Guillen, everyone in baseball is wise to Alex Rios.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
Said it in his post game presser

After tonight's inexcusable performance AND what KW said publicly just days ago...?

This team just insists on killing any kind of momentum. On the field and off.

It's gotta be comming from upstairs, this has to be the chairman's orders. Ozzie can't be that stupid....(I think he ain't)

The 3B coach for the Red Sox definitely had the stop sign up before he saw how casually Rios was returning the ball back in....then the off-target throw that Beckham fumbled, causing the reversal of his "stop" sign and then finally a "go" sign to home.

Watch the video closely. It would have been insane to send him all the way without the base coach watching the play as it was developing.

That's the 3rd time that has happened this year against us.

I wonder if Rios gets it? Plays like a little league kid out there and then seemingly pouts about being called out on his lack of hustle and performance. He is adark hole in the line up and when we have several not producing it just can't be good for our "all in it" stance

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)
The 3B coach for the Red Sox definitely had the stop sign up before he saw how casually Rios was returning the ball back in....then the off-target throw that Beckham fumbled, causing the reversal of his "stop" sign and then finally a "go" sign to home.

Watch the video closely. It would have been insane to send him all the way without the base coach watching the play as it was developing.

That's the 3rd time that has happened this year against us.

I dunno, you might be right, but I watched the Red Sox crew's video a couple times and never saw a stop sign. I didn't mean to imply earlier that he was waving as of the crack of the bat, but it seemed at the time like he was already waving before Rios even got to the ball or eased it back it. Alice loafed to it, then took about two lazy steps before lollypopping it in. I think he was waving based on the initial loaf, then "really waving" based on the lazy throw.

Doesn't really matter, but the fact is it does keep happening, and smart teams like the Red Sox know that and watch for/anticipate it.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
I wonder if Rios gets it? Plays like a little league kid out there and then seemingly pouts about being called out on his lack of hustle and performance. He is adark hole in the line up and when we have several not producing it just can't be good for our "all in it" stance

Why does he need to get it? 3 months of awful play, clearly not caring in CF, and he gets run back out there like it's nothing.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)

He gets it.

He knows he gets paid no matter what and he doesn't care about earning the check if it means hustling. He thinks he's smooth and graceful and above getting sweaty. He's a dog.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
He gets it.

He knows he gets paid no matter what and he doesn't care about earning the check if it means hustling. He thinks he's smooth and graceful and above getting sweaty. He's a dog.

And to make matters worse, Ozzie keeps putting him out there. Why did KW even bother saying that they will play the best players? Obviously that's not what's going on. I'm okay with Rios getting a start here and there and being a defensive replacement, but he's not the guy who gives the team the best chance to win. I put that solely on Ozzie's head.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
And to make matters worse, Ozzie keeps putting him out there. Why did KW even bother saying that they will play the best players? Obviously that's not what's going on. I'm okay with Rios getting a start here and there and being a defensive replacement, but he's not the guy who gives the team the best chance to win. I put that solely on Ozzie's head.

I'd be ok with Rios being a platoon guy...but really, not right now. I want a week or two off for him. Especially after his CF performance the last couple days.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)

He is a mental midget. Lot's of ability, but he can't get out of his hitting funk. He doesn't seem to see the need for urgency when someone with speed is rounding second on a single with 2 out. I understand Ozzie lamenting his inability to enjoy himself. This would help his natural abilities come out. I remember one game where they were in the dugout and Rios had his arms up on the dugout railing. Ozzie was standing beside him and playfully touched him near his armpit. You could see him jump, look momentarily at who had touched him, then turn his attention back to the field of play with a very unptight expression. Ozzie tried to get him to lighten up and he was having none of it. The worst part of Rios is not his lack of production. His attitude must bring everbody down. A mental cancer. He is the anti-Rowand.

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
My biggest "fan issue" with Rios isn't that he sucks. Fine... you Suck Alex Rios. What pisses me off, as a fan, is that he has so much talent. But, he wastes it. What a waste of talent.

I'm equally annoyed that our manager continues to trot him out there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm equally annoyed that our manager continues to trot him out there.

This is what pisses me off the most. So, KW says it doesn't matter how much money a guy is making, the guy who gives the team the best chance to win will play. Rios in no way gives the team the best chance to win. De Aza or Lillibridge in center are better options if only because they will hustle and actually try.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Can't really argue with it. I really wonder if the only reason he is in there now is to try to facilitate a waiver deal where we pick up a bad contract in return?

I'll hope you're right, but I think the real answer is that our manager automatically assumes every position without one of his guys must be a platoon.

Kind of what I first thought.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Can't really argue with it. I really wonder if the only reason he is in there now is to try to facilitate a waiver deal where we pick up a bad contract in return?

The bottom line on Rios is he should never have been acquired. Everybody in baseball knew he was a lazy guy who doesn't respect the game.

You can't change people at this stage of life.

It's all on KW. He should be fired for acquiring Rios when another team simply wanted to be free of him.

Dunn isn't a fireable offense; Rios is.

Dunn is a tragic comedy but he had a good track record before coming here.