Okay, I'll try a J4L rant today

caulfield12

1) Tyler Flowers is never, ever going to be the starting catcher for the Chicago White Sox. That passed ball was inexcusable. Without it, the game would have been tied 3-3 in the late innings. You have to block that pitch, turn your glove to get under it...just lazy or horrible fundamentals/indecision. You can tell Ozzie doesn't trust him, as AJ has played in, what, 27 consecutive games?

If the runners were kept at 1st/2nd, then Pedroia's single/"double" leads to just that one run and the Gonzalez grounder to 2B probably ends up in a double play and out of the inning.

2) Alex Rios and Gordon Beckham need a new hitting coach. Beckham will never, ever be able to hit any fastball over 92-93 MPH. If they won't change out Greg Walker, they should just send Beckham to AAA so that he can totally re-engineer his swing with a different coach/perspective. Everyone knows the mechanical issues with the loop/hitch. It sucks sucks sucks we didn't trade him for Adrian Gonzalez when we could have. If we had Gonzo and Konerko, then no Dunn as well.

3) Dunn should never be hitting 3-4-5 against LHP. He will strike out either 3 or 4 times against Sabathia tomorrow night, and undoubtedly the White Sox will be 3 games under .500 and within a week of getting wiped out unofficially in Minnesota.

4) Alex Rios, a game after making one of the most lackadaisically inept plays in the history of outfield play, did something similar today. The only reason it wasn't so glaring is because the run didn't eventually score. On Pedroia's single to LCF, Rios ONCE AGAIN made a horrible throw to the wrong place and let Dustin LASER LIGHT SHOW end up on 2nd base. Inexcusable fundamentals. We don't hold any of the veterans on this team responsible...just lip service. Everyone just does whatever they want to do. Alexei Ramirez could be one of the best overall SS's in the game and he just consistently has bad at-bats with runners in scoring position. What happened to the Ramirez of 2008? Yeah, I know he got a single today to drive in the go-ahead run, but he should be a GREAT player, and he's just a very good one.

5) Chris Sale has been excellent, but we need to begin his career as a starter beginning as soon as next week.

6) There's just ZERO EXCUSE why your 3rd lefty is facing Adrian Gonzalez with only a 4-3 lead in the late innings. PATHETIC. HORRIBLE. We were remarking last night, why the heck are they wasting Thornton in a meaningless came, and of course it came back to bite Ozzie in the butt.

7) Welcome, Yankees fans!! It must be embarassing to JR and KW that your own home fans were drowned out by cries of YOUK and "boos" for Alex Rios and Adam Dunn moreso than cheers. Get ready for four more games that continue to exhibit how very few White Sox fans are willing to be pay exorbidant, sky high, jacked up ticket prices for what is a clearly inferior product.

8) We're going to regret not trading Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez and Thornton when we had a chance...the payoff in the offseason won't be as good. Quentin and Danks will both be 2 months closer to free agency. Quentin and Ramirez are never going to get any better in terms of situational hitting with Greg Walker.

9) I'm officially changing my position on Rick Hahn as of today. I heard from a former Harvard Law School classmate of his that he was the biggest, yuppiest Cubs fan in the world and also known as the hugest prick possible in his group. Say what you want about Guillen and Williams, at least they've always bled White Sox Black. Goodbye, you're out with Williams and Guillen. Never can I stomach a Cubs fan running the White Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
Yikes! Some over reaction here. Some.

Really? All of his points save the silly Rick Hahn one (I don't care if my GM is a Satan-worshiping DMB fan if he makes the right moves!), were well-thought and accurate. I'm still so amazed that no one has been fired.

Edited by Steve9347

I agree with everything except about the part where Alexei Ramirez should be a top SS. I'm probably the only one, but I feel he is an average to above average short stop. I roll my eyes every time I hear a comment indicating that he is so great.... IMO he is serviceable. If I was a GM, I'd pay him $5-$7M annually at the very most for him. Of course our GM is going to be paying him $10M in '14 and '15

Edited by Mattchoo

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Really? All of his points save the silly Rick Hahn one (I don't care if my GM is a Satan-worshiping DMB fan if he makes the right moves!), were well-thought and accurate. I'm still so amazed that no one has been fired.

Like this one. 8) We're going to regret not trading Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez and Thornton when we had a chance...the payoff in the offseason won't be as good.

We have no idea what was really offered on the other side. Our source is media speculation. So I consider that statement ignorance at the Phil Rogers level.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
Like this one. 8) We're going to regret not trading Quentin, Danks, Floyd, Ramirez and Thornton when we had a chance...the payoff in the offseason won't be as good.

We have no idea what was really offered on the other side. Our source is media speculation. So I consider that statement ignorance at the Phil Rogers level.

I'd rather have tossed some of these players just to get a different look out there. It's going to be a struggle watching the next two months. This team is just so annoying. Paul Konerko is the only reason I tune in any more, since I owe him that much. (PS - hopefully his leg is alright).

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
I agree with everything except about the part where Alexei Ramirez should be a top SS. I'm probably the only one, but I feel he is an average to above average short stop. I roll my eyes every time I hear a comment indicating that he is so great.... IMO he is serviceable. If I was a GM, I'd pay him $5-$7M annually at the very most for him. Of course our GM is going to be paying him $10M in '14 and '15

Which is why he should be traded sooner rather than later.

In response to a previous post...what if he's a Satan-worshipping Michael Bolton fan? And has a ponytail? Or looks like Colin Farrell's character in Horrible Bosses and does coke in the USCF bathrooms?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
I'd rather have tossed some of these players just to get a different look out there. It's going to be a struggle watching the next two months. This team is just so annoying. Paul Konerko is the only reason I tune in any more, since I owe him that much. (PS - hopefully his leg is alright).

X-Rays were negative. Normally, with Ozzie, if a player's pulled from a game due to injury, they will sit the next day, too.

Which probably means we're left with only a Carlos Quentin "lift and pull" solo homer in terms of our offensive threats against Sabathia. Unless CC decides to throw Gordon a change-up/curve/slider.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
what if he's a Satan-worshipping Michael Bolton fan? And has a ponytail? Or looks like Colin Farrell's character in Horrible Bosses and does coke in the USCF bathrooms?

If he makes good moves, he's great.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)

Of course we can trade them whenever we want...but the timing on this season sucks.

If we would have played the Twins instead the Tigers the last 2 weeks, we would have probably ended up selling off some pieces.

We in the process would have expedited the process of starting to look at Stewart and Sale as starters and Dayan as well.

The Indians and Tigers both made moves to improve, and we stood pat or went backwards, really, because Humber and Peavy might not last the season. Humber due to the increase in workload, Peavy because....well, we all know this soap opera plotline by now.

I'd love to imagine in some fantasy world we keep Danks/Buehrle/Floyd/Quentin/Thornton and have a similar payroll heading into 2012, but does anyone really believe that's going to happen?

The excuse will be that the fans didn't support the team....downward revenue projections and declining season ticket renewals...blah blah blah, so we're cutting the payroll down to the $105-115 million neighborhood.

I could be really pessimistic and say $95-105 million but with Rios/Dunn/Peavy/Konerko/Floyd/Danks/AJ/Quentin/Ramirez/Thornton/Danks....that's already $70-85 million committed right there.

The numbers just don't add up.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
Not bad on the extremes and absolutes, but the real J4L would have thrown in a lot more rape and sodomy euphemisms.

"Kenny Williams is more addicted to sucking as a GM then a dog cocaine laced peanut butter"

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)
Trading Jackson for a righty reliever did wonders for us this weekend! It is so infuriating how many bad decisions this organization has made the last three years. There is no excuse for Thornton to still be on this team.

The idea that the outcome of the final six games before the deadline decides whether the team is kept together is beyond ridiculous.

This offense has shown no sign basically since after the first game this year of being competitive. I feel like KW lacked the balls to make moves that would lead to fans using my new least favorite phrase "white flag".

Edited by fathom

tell ya the truth...I'm really indifferent. I have absolutely ZERO faith in Kenny getting any of this s*** right. He got us in this mess...and falls to the side of chicken s*** by not doing anything by trying to correct it. Stubborn or just plain dumb?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
6) There's just ZERO EXCUSE why your 3rd lefty is facing Adrian Gonzalez with only a 4-3 lead in the late innings. PATHETIC. HORRIBLE. We were remarking last night, why the heck are they wasting Thornton in a meaningless came, and of course it came back to bite Ozzie in the butt.

Steve Stone made some quip about Gonzalez always hitting Ohman.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 11:55 PM)

I think Alexei is an real good to above shortstop. But, I think he stil avoids contact and today, or maybe on Saturday, he didn't get in front of a ball that should have been stopped