Adam Dunn Makes New York Times Front Page

winninguglyin83

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
That was an excellent article. It wasn't bashing him at all. It's something the Dunn haters need to read.

Nobody hates Dunn the person, seems like a nice guy, we hate that he got a huge contract and is producing what I basically could've given the White Sox at a much cheaper price.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 02:21 AM)
I hope this winter there isn't this prevailing attitude that Dunn will be great next season.

I think the prevailing attitude will be that "If Dunn repeats this season, we're going to get a solid 2013 draft pick."

Dunn's struggles have truly been a mystery. The article properly points to him as a model of consistency with regards to power numbers and a typically strong walk rate. It also highlighted that he never really had a strong Batting Average:

2001: .262

2002: .249

2003: .215

2004: .266

2005: .247

2006: .234

2007: .264

2008: .236

2009: .267

2010: .260

I know many here will say that OPS and OBP are the king stats by which hitters should be judged, but despite strong power numbers there were some fairly weak years there hitting for average, particularly 2003, 2006, and 2008.

While Dunn only has logged 56 BB this year, his walk rate is actually declined from typical. Extrapolated over a full 650 AB season, he'd have about 96 walks which actually beats last year's 77 walks. However, it's a pretty big dip compared to 2004-2009 (where he'd have 110 BB per 650 ABs). If Dunn were only struggling with hitting, rather than both hitting and walking, I'd believe it were a physical problem. But as but SLG and OBP are far deflated, I think there's something to Guillen's analysis.

Dunn is battling, showing resolve. I am really irked he has had such a bad year and it has aided the Sox failures this year, but the guy cares, is trying, is working. Considering we have a steamy pile of goo wearing #51, I'll take Dunn's refreshing stand-up attitude.

Still, him ending up with fewer than 20 homers is mind boggling.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
The one thing I will miss about Ozzie is lines like the following:

Yes I also like Ozzie's forthright honesty on things...and this is an example. However, how many games has Dunn actually played in the field? Probably not many and thus the sample size is so small that the argument Ozzie makes is not relevant.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 02:53 AM)
Nobody hates Dunn the person, seems like a nice guy, we hate that he got a huge contract and is producing what I basically could've given the White Sox at a much cheaper price.

That's one of Kenny's weaknesses. He likes to abuse resources at the DH position. He probably could have gotten Thome for less with that trade. Thome's final year was with the Sox was $14M. (another reason why I hate the DH) Having him sign elsewhere was an ethical decision. It doesn't look good to sign the same player for about $10M less.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
That's one of Kenny's weaknesses. He likes to abuse resources at the DH position. He probably could have gotten Thome for less with that trade. Thome's final year was with the Sox was $14M. (another reason why I hate the DH) Having him sign elsewhere was an ethical decision. It doesn't look good to sign the same player for about $10M less.

Due to a handshake agreement with the Phillies, the White Sox likely paid 1/2 that number.

With him & Rios it is like having two Bump Baileys on the team. It is a miracle that we have the record we have with these two guys playing the way we do. Heck even Manny hit .261 for the last couple of months last year. These guys are truly killing us. Sit them both, send Dunn to AAA. Don't they have DL stints for mental health too?

Hindsight Police, should never get a National League player (AAA) & bring them to the American League. At least get a guy who has played in the American League before. Andruw Jones was so bad last year, but at least he still hit .200. Scotty Pods was the only one that actually helped our team after never playing in the AL.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
He should continue hitting 4th. He's just so dangerous right now.

Other teams are game-planning around him. He strikes the fear and passion of a thousand dragons into the hearts of all his opponents.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Hindsight Police, should never get a National League player (AAA) & bring them to the American League. At least get a guy who has played in the American League before. Andruw Jones was so bad last year, but at least he still hit .200. Scotty Pods was the only one that actually helped our team after never playing in the AL.

Adrian Gonzales says 'hi'.