Pk update

southsider2k5

Paul Konerko responded with a firm "no" when asked if his ailing left calf was feeling better.

Konerko appears relegated to designated hitter duty, which paid off Sunday when he hit a solo home run and allowed him to jog slowly around the bases in the fourth inning.

"It's not stopping me from making a good swing," Konerko said. "But anything other than that, if you see me moving more than a walk, it bothers me. That's all I can say."

Konerko missed three games after getting hit by a pitch from the Red Sox's Andrew Miller on July 31, and the leg hasn't felt any better since returning as a DH on Thursday.

MG

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Wonder if it might be best for PK to go on the DL to be ready for the stretch run. He'll still be able to take BP and keep his swing. Can Dayan play 1st?

Viciedo doesn't seem any healthier than PK14 right now.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Wonder if it might be best for PK to go on the DL to be ready for the stretch run.

"It's not stopping me from making a good swing," Konerko said.

Have you seen this Sox offense sans Konerko? No, it would not be best. The few times he has to trot around the bases won't hurt the man.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Can you actually worsen a damaged nerve in your leg?

Or is it one of those things that "if can handle the pain you can play through it" type of situations?

No idea, but it's a good question.

@ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

Danks went to lunch today with Konerko, who's still in pain. Danks: "I said come on, Buddy. He couldn't really keep up."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Can you actually worsen a damaged nerve in your leg?

Or is it one of those things that "if can handle the pain you can play through it" type of situations?

Yes you can. The most likely nerve that would be damaged is the common peroneal nerve which winds around the top part of the fibula. If you feel the outside of your knee it is the large bump you feel. It is very superficial and it very susceptible to compression injuries at this point. This nerve innervates all of the muscle which lift your foot. An injury here can cause "drop foot." It is difficult to run or even walk with this condition. He could hit because his foot is planted but couldn't control the foot once it's off the ground.

The nerve is commonly injured in 2 ways. It can be hit directly which causes a neuropraxia and the nerve needs to heal. You need to not stretch it by keeping the knee and ankle from going to either end of range of motion. The other way is the inflammation from a bruise is compressing the nerve causing similar problems. To heal this you need to calm down the inflammation. This is usually done with meds and rest. It's possible they triend the meds and it wasn't helping as much as they wanted so they added more rest time.

I'm not positive this is the nerve involved but it's the most likely. Regardless of the nerve involved, the treatment is usually the same.