What Holding on To CQ & Thornton @ Deadline Means Now

Marty34

I agree completely. Most would likely say that Santos has to be untouchable, but as another poster mentioned recently, we're pretty good at developing or finding relief talent. If someone will pay up for Sergio, jump on it.

EDIT: I meant to say that only Sale should be untouchable.

Edited by Milkman delivers

There's a possibility they can still move Thornton this year. How many teams would claim someone owed that kind of money as a set-up guy, and at his age?

I think not very many.

You could argue more strongly that it might end up being the best time to have maximized Danks' value, based on his June/July numbers. And Quentin.

Trade Santos? He's one of the biggest bargains on the team. We still don't even know for sure that Sale can make the transition to starting...to act like he has the value of Randy Johnson instead of Aaron Poreda/Royce Ring isn't accurate either. Does he have great stuff and multiple pitches? Yes. Does he have a very slight frame and/or mechanics that might not hold up? Possibly. Of course, the same concerns existed about Gio when he was drafted and he's turned out pretty good as a starter.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
It simply means that nobody wanted to give equivelant value for Quentin or Thornton before the trade deadline.

Exactly. Because of Twitter, everyone thinks that Domonic Brown and Brandon Beachy should be White Sox now, but no one knows exactly what KW was offered for those two and what they actually could have received.

We can still win it. If the alternative is we keep the non performers then that is the stance I continue to take. It will be intersting to see what talent might be out there as free agents next year, but since we have spent all of our money good luck with that I guess.

of course we "Can" still win it, but come on this team has shown us nothing all season to take them serious and believe that they can turn it around and do what needs to be done.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
Exactly. Because of Twitter, everyone thinks that Domonic Brown and Brandon Beachy should be White Sox now, but no one knows exactly what KW was offered for those two and what they actually could have received.

Given the amount that other teams got for similar players, there was a deal to be made, just not a stellar one. An ok deal would have been ok.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)

I don't even think there is any proof KW made those guys available at all.. If I had to guess, KW thought we still had a chance and had no intentions of trading any of those guys by the deadline.. of course we respond by most likely losing 6 games in a row and ending any glimmer of hope..

And poor Adam Dunn, there is about a ZERO percent chance he can end the year hitting over .200

I wonder if the Sox are the new Baltimore. Are we going to suck for 15 plus years?

I guess if they change the divisional formats like they are talking about, we could be doomed to no playoff baseball for a long long time to come.

Right now at least we're in the worst division in baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
I wonder if the Sox are the new Baltimore. Are we going to suck for 15 plus years?

Don't you mean Kansas City? Baltimore had success in the late 90s, KC has done nothing in 25+ years. And their division doesn't have NYY or BOS.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
I don't even think there is any proof KW made those guys available at all.. If I had to guess, KW thought we still had a chance and had no intentions of trading any of those guys by the deadline.. of course we respond by most likely losing 6 games in a row and ending any glimmer of hope..

And poor Adam Dunn, there is about a ZERO percent chance he can end the year hitting over .200

He probably had more than you think on the trading block.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
He probably had more than you think on the trading block.

I don't buy that at all

We had plenty of pieces that could have been moved had Kenny wanted to throw in the towel

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
I agree completely. Most would likely say that Santos has to be untouchable, but as another poster mentioned recently, we're pretty good at developing or finding relief talent. If someone will pay up for Sergio, jump on it.

EDIT: I meant to say that only Sale should be untouchable.

There's nothing I hate more than over-valuing relievers. If you can get a couple real spects you move them. Very rarely do you have a Mariano Rivera, and more-likely you have a Bobby Jenks, whom I prayed (and posted many, many times) that Sox management should move him at the height of his value in 2007/2008.

Instead, he walks years later for nothing, and says bad words on the way out the door!

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I don't buy that at all

We had plenty of pieces that could have been moved had Kenny wanted to throw in the towel

He 100% percent had more than 5 players on the block. You dont have to buy it at all, but its the truth.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I don't buy that at all

Players get traded all of the time that are not on the trading block. Do you think Kenny hangs up the phone if a GM is interested in Sale? He listens to the offer.

Plus you don't want to throw in the towel "Astros Style".

If the sox had offers for CQ and Thornton on July 31st 2011, there will be offers for them on October 21st 2011, when the offseason begins, CQ will be moved in the offseason for sure. He will have very little value if the sox wait until next years trade deadline as he will be just a couple months away from free agency. A CQ trade has an offensive starved team with a win now window writter all of it; Braves, Angels, Giants, etc.