What Holding on To CQ & Thornton @ Deadline Means Now

Marty34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
There's a possibility they can still move Thornton this year. How many teams would claim someone owed that kind of money as a set-up guy, and at his age?

I think not very many.

You could argue more strongly that it might end up being the best time to have maximized Danks' value, based on his June/July numbers. And Quentin.

Trade Santos? He's one of the biggest bargains on the team. We still don't even know for sure that Sale can make the transition to starting...to act like he has the value of Randy Johnson instead of Aaron Poreda/Royce Ring isn't accurate either. Does he have great stuff and multiple pitches? Yes. Does he have a very slight frame and/or mechanics that might not hold up? Possibly. Of course, the same concerns existed about Gio when he was drafted and he's turned out pretty good as a starter.

I could see another team trading for Santos and developing him into a starter. He's a fresh arm with not a lot of tear; it's not unreasonable. If you have three potential plus pitches, you should be given the opportunity. I'd consider his delivery a lot cleaner than Sale's, who everyone here is (rightfully) yelling to be stretched out.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
I could see another team trading for Santos and developing him into a starter. He's a fresh arm with not a lot of tear; it's not unreasonable. If you have three potential plus pitches, you should be given the opportunity. I'd consider his delivery a lot cleaner than Sale's, who everyone here is (rightfully) yelling to be stretched out.

That seems like a scary big risk to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Except if we started the season with Santos as our closer, we might not have had that 4-18 stretch that buried our season right off the bat and killed any fan enthusiasm for the Sox this season.

That and feeling confident Morel was ready to play everyday.

A 25-3 stretch could have righted that ship but a winning streak like that is an anomaly.

3rd base has been a disaster since Crede. Two seasons in a row of replacing the opening day 3rd baseman.

The usual piss poor hitting exposed Uribe and that he was going to make $4M on an option made him expendable.

I still miss Juan. This team probably wouldn't look so lifeless if he was here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
That seems like a scary big risk to me.

Yeah, we wouldn't without a clear cut replacement for him; but I could imagine a team figuring that for what his potential may be as a starter they could give us a few top prospects. It'd be a good bargain too if he amounts to anything in a rotation.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Yeah, we wouldn't without a clear cut replacement for him; but I could imagine a team figuring that for what his potential may be as a starter they could give us a few top prospects. It'd be a good bargain too if he amounts to anything in a rotation.

I don't mean by us trading him. If a team gives up the price that it would take to fill the closer's role for 5 years at minimal cost I do it in a second (That's a huge price). That's my firesale mode game...anything can go if the price is met. I meant moving him to a starter's role.