Cotts for Tuesday in Anaheim??

VAfan

Is there any chance the Sox will finally see the light and bring up Neal Cotts to be the 5th starter through the end of the season?

Last night he again threw 6 shutout innings, with 2 hits and 4 walks, one of which was intentional. In 100 innings, he's given up only 60 hits while striking out 124. His only "flaw" is walking 52. But not many of them have scored, as he's surrendered only 25 earned runs.

Others have watched this much more closely, but I believe in his last 4 starts he has yet to give up a run through 7 innings in any of the games.

As a AA callup that no one has seen, he would have a tremendous advantage over major league hitters for a short stretch. If they don't hit him through 6 innings, that's just twice through the lineup and then see ya next year. (Jimmy Gobble is the latest example of this phenomenon.) And how many advance scouts for the teams we have on our schedule are watching Birmingham's games??

Danny Wright should go to the bullpen and Cotts should get the starts. This would help Wright too, as he tries to pace himself in games which leads to passive pitching, too much offspeed stuff out of the strike zone, and trouble.

Cotts is the "right man at the right time." Bring him up.

Anyone disagree?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any chance the Sox will finally see the light and bring up Neal Cotts to be the 5th starter through the end of the season?

Last night he again threw 6 shutout innings, with 2 hits and 4 walks, one of which was intentional.  In 100 innings, he's given up only 60 hits while striking out 124.  His only "flaw" is walking 52.  But not many of them have scored, as he's surrendered only 25 earned runs. 

Others have watched this much more closely, but I believe in his last 4 starts he has yet to give up a run through 7 innings in any of the games. 

As a AA callup that no one has seen, he would have a tremendous advantage over major league hitters for a short stretch.  If they don't hit him through 6 innings, that's just twice through the lineup and then see ya next year.  (Jimmy Gobble is the latest example of this phenomenon.) And how many advance scouts for the teams we have on our schedule are watching Birmingham's games??

Danny Wright should go to the bullpen and Cotts should get the starts.  This would help Wright too, as he tries to pace himself in games which leads to passive pitching, too much offspeed stuff out of the strike zone, and trouble. 

Cotts is the "right man at the right time."  Bring him up.

Anyone disagree?

Danny Wright runs into problems becuase he only has two pitches. Early in games-- when he, like many pitchers, aren't in the groove location-wise--he gets hit hard because it's not difficult for a mlb hitter to sit and wait on a fastball on a guy who isn't hitting his spots and only throws two different balls.

By all means, bring up Cotts. Let's see what he's got.

I am going to be a dissenter and say that Neal Cotts would get pounded with the control that he has been exhibiting. In the minors you can get away with walks, in the majors walks will haunt. These guys will kill Neal Cotts if he is giving up 4 1/2 walks a game. Now if he can get down his walk totals down, he should be OK.

Let me just say that you are onto something here. I'm not necessarily saying that Cotts is ready to be called up to the big leagues, but KW's ego may have something to do with him getting called up to the ML's before tossing one pitch in AAA. KW hears all the pro-Williams banter recently from Chicago's sports media outlets but callers always bringing up the fact that his big trades are all busts bothers KW..... Botch being one of them. KW's hoping Cotts make the Botch Deal good.

Don't believe me if you want. That's all of your perogatives here. But don't be surprised if Cotts gets B..... O..... M..... B..... BOMBED in Anaheim because his 87 MPH "heater" and his desire to locate pitches perfectly (WALKS) will spell DOOM for the White Sox.

Cotts has Danny Wrong written all over him..... IMHO..... just less velocity.

Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan were both wild and it didn't hurt them. Granted Cotts isn't in their league, but walks don't always kill you if they can't hit the ball after you've put them on. It seems to me that Cotts has managed his walks this year very well. They don't seem to phase him or cause him to lose focus or start grooving the ball because then you would see 3-run HRs or big innings. No one has done that to Cotts. And I don't have the breakdown, but I'm guessing a fair number of those walks have come late after he's thrown a lot of pitches. In other words, after he could have been retired from the game.

As for Danny Wright, Sandy Alomar is among those who think he might be better out of the pen. He suggested Wright could add a couple MPH on his fastball if he was focused on only going an inning or so. And if he came after hitters with a plus fastball like Bartolo has been doing recently, his offspeed stuff would be a lot more effective.

The Colon and Alomar trades were big, and both were not busts. :P

Alomar hasn't been here long enough and there are just as many people that would say Colon was a good trade as there are many people that would say Colon was a bust regardless of how he pitches the rest of the year because, until recently, the 20-game winner was under .500.

Alomar hasn't been here long enough and there are just as many people that would say Colon was a good trade as there are many people that would say Colon was a bust regardless of how he pitches the rest of the year because, until recently, the 20-game winner was under .500.

Colon went through a bad stretch that really hurt his ERA, and his wins are as low as they are largely due to playing on a sub-.500 team for the first 3 months of the season. If you look at who the Sox gave up to get Colon, there's no way you can't call this trade anything but a success.

Colon went through a bad stretch that really hurt his ERA, and his wins are as low as they are largely due to playing on a sub-.500 team for the first 3 months of the season.  If you look at who the Sox gave up to get Colon, there's no way you can't call this trade anything but a success.

The Sox gave up virtually nothing for Colon..... except a 20+ game closer. So, unfortunately, this trade has to be judged on Colon's performance..... not just who we gave up to get him.

And, depending on who you believe, Cashman had more to do with making this deal happen than KW did. I don't necessarily believe that, but it is something to take into account.

Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan were both wild and it didn't hurt them.  Granted Cotts isn't in their league, but walks don't always kill you if they can't hit the ball after you've put them on.  It seems to me that Cotts has managed his walks this year very well.  They don't seem to phase him or cause him to lose focus or start grooving the ball because then you would see 3-run HRs or big innings.  No one has done that to Cotts.  And I don't have the breakdown, but I'm guessing a fair number of those walks have come late after he's thrown a lot of pitches.  In other words, after he could have been retired from the game. 

As for Danny Wright, Sandy Alomar is among those who think he might be better out of the pen.  He suggested Wright could add a couple MPH on his fastball if he was focused on only going an inning or so.  And if he came after hitters with a plus fastball like Bartolo has been doing recently, his offspeed stuff would be a lot more effective.

Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson also had 100 mph fastball's to give them a little more room for error. Cotts is dependant on location because he doesn't hit 90 with his ace. Cotts seems to have good stuff, but he will be another Danny Wright if he is walking that many major league hitters.

Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan were both wild and it didn't hurt them.  Granted Cotts isn't in their league, but walks don't always kill you if they can't hit the ball after you've put them on.  It seems to me that Cotts has managed his walks this year very well.  They don't seem to phase him or cause him to lose focus or start grooving the ball because then you would see 3-run HRs or big innings.  No one has done that to Cotts.  And I don't have the breakdown, but I'm guessing a fair number of those walks have come late after he's thrown a lot of pitches.  In other words, after he could have been retired from the game. 

As for Danny Wright, Sandy Alomar is among those who think he might be better out of the pen.  He suggested Wright could add a couple MPH on his fastball if he was focused on only going an inning or so.  And if he came after hitters with a plus fastball like Bartolo has been doing recently, his offspeed stuff would be a lot more effective.

Those guys could strike-out the next guy, Cotts will not. Cotts is a one-hit wonder that will be figured out. He is a finesse pitcher. In the majors he will get shelled. You can pitch around walks if you can get strikeouts. With men on base more things can happen on the field. He needs his control or he will not be successful.

First off, anyone who says Cotts's ERA has been hurt needs to open up their eyes. He's leading the Southern League in ERA. The only reason his W-L record has suffered is that he's on a team that isn't the most run-producing. Cotts definately has the stuff to pitch in the bigs this year, however, his control isn't good enough. Control in AA is alot different than control in the MLB, because hitters are more patient and will wait for him to make a mistake. I personally don't think he is ready, however, the only way anyone will know is if he see him in action. My reccomendation is to put him against a team where we know he can win, and give him the confidence young pitchers so desperately need. Brian Cooper might be more affecting because he can provide more innings, and has really pitched very well for the Knights this year, and has Big League experience.

Mark Buehrle anyone?? He had 19 walks in his first 50 innings in the majors, which is not that much better than Cotts' walk rate, especially since he also gave up 55 hits. Yet he was 4-1 in 2000 and started 3 games up from AA.

Cotts can do just as well.

Let me throw in another point.  Who here thinks Danny Wright will give us a better start against Anaheim on Tuesday than Neal Cotts could?

Maybe because it would be his MLB debut and no one has seen Neal, he could get away witht he walks for a few starts, so I would think that Neal would be better FOR THAT GAME. But if I had to pick one or the other for the next two months I would have to go with DW, because I really think Cotts gets shelled if he is walk 4-5 guys a game. That is my opinion.

Stick to the issue here.  It's Neal Cotts as 5th starter.  Secondarily it is how that might affect the bullpen.

So who here likes Carl Everett?

Who's going to Sunday's game?

What's the deal with Bartolo's chia-pet hair?

.........sorry.............what was the topic again??

:P

Those guys could strike-out the next guy, Cotts will not. Cotts is a one-hit wonder that will be figured out. He is a finesse pitcher. In the majors he will get shelled. You can pitch around walks if you can get strikeouts. With men on base more things can happen on the field. He needs his control or he will not be successful.

Hate to break it to you, but Greg Maddux walked around 3 batters per nine innings, and he turned out fine after several years. In his first full year, he walked 4.5 batters per 9, but he gradually improved it. It's dumb to assume that he will be immensely successful or be shelled in his first start, just give the kid a chance.

Greg Maddux ALSO doesnt throw very many 90 mph pitches... Same with Jamie Moyer, that guy never hits 90..

What Cotts has is great movement, and I saw on another post here I think it was by Rex, Cotts uses all of the strike zone. top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right, thats why he has some walks because he never throws pitches right down the middle to get hammered.

I wouldnt mind seeing Cotts in the bigs this year. If he can help us, then I would like to see him.

Not to mention Anaheim flat-out owns Danny Wrong.  It would be nice to see a fresh face out there but Anaheim is really a tough team to get your major league debut against.  Regardless of how poorly they are hitting this year.

Thanks for the heads up on that:

2 starts 0-2 6 IP 17 H 14ER 21.0 ERA

Yea anyone but Wright!!!!!

Guest hotsoxchick1

omfg vafan is here too????? hey va......how ya doin... i hear cj will be joining the team soon.......... :lol: sorry i couldnt resist...... lol