5/30 4 ip, 5 er = L7-3

6/5 6 ip, 2 er = W3-2

6/14 5.1 ip, 4 er = W6-5

6/19 6 ip, 2 er = L4-3

6/27 6 ip, 1 er = W4-3

7/2 4 ip, 4 er = W8-6

7/11 2.1 ip, 5 er = L12-2

8/2 5ip, 5 er = L10-0

The SOX are 5-7 when Danny pitches this year.

Sometime's it's better to be lucky than good.

Let's see how that fare's against the others:

The SOX are 14-13 when MB pitches, but at 1 time it was 4-12.

The SOX are 12-12 when BC pitches, but at 1 time it was 8-12.

The SOX are 16-7 when EL pitches.

The SOX are 11-11 when JG pitches.

The SOX are 2-3 when JS pitched.

Neal Cotts:

8/08 AA: 9W-6L, 2.12ERA, 20 GS, 106ip, 62h, 56w, 131K, 2hr, 25er. opp A .173

6/23 AA: 7W-2L, 2.11ERA, 85Ks

Dominating Starts

4/4 W 3-2 Cotts

4/11 W 4-1 Cotts

4/16 W 4-2 Cotts

4/21 W 2-0 Cotts

5/03 L 1-2 Cotts

5/08 W 5-0 Cotts

5/19 W 8-7 Cotts

5/24 L 2-5 Cotts

5/29 W 9-1 Cotts

6/28 W 8-0 Cotts

7/4 L 12-7 Cotts

7/17 L 2-4 Cotts

7/23 L 1-2 Cotts

7/28 L 3-4 Cotts

8/2 W 5-1 Cotts

I definitely think Cotts would make a better 5th starter for the SOX right now than Wright.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the 5th starter needed 6 times.  That would require both Loaiza to go on 3 days rest twice and Bart once. The time when both would go on three days rest, they would then go on five days rest in the start immediately following due to off days.  Esteban would likely go on 3 days rest one more time two weeks later in mid-September.  If they choose not to have Loaiza go on three days rest the second time, the 5th starter would be needed a 7th time.

I don't see the 8 you are talking about, and I also certainly do not see the 3 or 4 times I have heard in some of the media.

Assume a strict 4 days rest for all starters:

Colon already complained about a twinge in his back.

There's no way you risk him on 3 days rest.

E-LO has a history of injuries. Why tempt fate?

JG,EL v OAK

BC,5th,MB,JG @ ANA

EL,BC,5th @ TEX

MB,JG,EL v ANA

BC,5th,MB,JG v TEX

xx,EL,BC,MB - @ NYY

JG,5th,EL,xx - @ DET

MB,BC,xx v BOS

EL,JG,MB v CLE

BC,5th,EL,JG v MIN

MB,BC,5th,xx @ BOS

EL,MB,BC @ MIN

JG,5th,EL v KC

MB,BC,JG v NYY

5th,EL,MB,BC @ KC

I see the 5th starter needed 6 times.  That would require both Loaiza to go on 3 days rest twice and Bart once. The time when both would go on three days rest, they would then go on five days rest in the start immediately following due to off days.  Esteban would likely go on 3 days rest one more time two weeks later in mid-September.  If they choose not to have Loaiza go on three days rest the second time, the 5th starter would be needed a 7th time.

I don't see the 8 you are talking about, and I also certainly do not see the 3 or 4 times I have heard in some of the media.

JG,EL v OAK

BC,5th,MB,JG @ ANA

EL,BC,5th @ TEX

MB,JG,EL v ANA

BC,5th,MB,JG v TEX

xx,EL,BC,MB - @ NYY

JG,5th,EL,xx - @ DET

MB,BC,xx v BOS

EL,JG,MB v CLE

BC,5th,EL,JG v MIN

MB,BC,5th,xx @ BOS

EL,MB,BC @ MIN

JG,5th,EL v KC

MB,BC,JG v NYY

5th,EL,MB,BC @ KC

If they go that way, then off days will force others to go way off 4 days rest, including six days at one point for Garland. They may do it, but I see no reason not to let two guys go on 3 days when it would be followed by 5 days their next start.

JG,EL v OAK

BC,5th,MB,JG @ ANA

EL,BC,5th @ TEX

MB,JG,EL v ANA

BC,5th,MB,JG v TEX

xx,EL,BC,MB - @ NYY

JG,5th,EL,xx - @ DET

MB,BC,xx v BOS

EL,JG,MB v CLE

BC,5th,EL,JG v MIN

MB,BC,5th,xx @ BOS

EL,MB,BC @ MIN

JG,5th,EL v KC

MB,BC,JG v NYY

5th,EL,MB,BC @ KC

If they go that way, then off days will force others to go way off 4 days rest, including six days at one point for Garland. They may do it, but I see no reason not to let two guys go on 3 days when it would be followed by 5 days their next start.

There is a little flexibility, but it will affect matchups.

JG,EL v OAK

BC,5th,MB,JG @ ANA

EL,BC,5th @ TEX

MB,JG,EL v ANA

BC,MB,JG,EL v TEX - MB, JG, & EL all on 3 days rest

xx,BC,MB,JG - @ NYY - MB, JG, & EL all on 4 days rest

EL,5th,BC,xx - @ DET

MB,JG,xx v BOS - MB, JG on 5 days rest

EL,BC,MB v CLE - EL on 6 days rest

JG,5th,EL,BC v MIN

MB,JG,EL,xx @ BOS - EL on 3 days rest

BC,MB,JG @ MIN

EL,5th,BC v KC - EL on 4 days rest

MB,JG,EL v NYY

BC,MB,JG,EL @ KC - BC, MB, & JG on 3 days rest

That would reduce the 5th starter down to 5 starts.

Depending on where the SOX are after finishing with ANA it's certainly an option in a dog fight. EL would get the most starts which is what you want any ways.

If they are lucky the TV schedule would have them start the post-season

on Wed Oct 1, giving them all 5 days rest. I don't think it's likely though because the ALC has started on Tues for the last 3 yrs.

While all you Cotts' naysayers are quibbling, Jimmy Gobble is throwing his second consecutive shutout of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, who have killed most other KC pitchers. (Gobble finally gave up a run in his 13th inning over two starts.)

Wake up!! An unknown pitcher up from AA is likely to win two key games for KC and put them back in first place. Neal Cotts has pitched MUCH BETTER than Jimmy Gobble this year.

Right now, Neal Cotts would be our 4th best starter. I guarantee he would pitch better than Jon Garland.

Yes I saw Danny out of the bullpen. Over on the MLB site they have the following cryptic comments on who the 5th starter might be. I'd say it gives us some hope it will be Cotts as early as Tuesday. Get better Miguel!!!

It also signifies the need for a fifth starter. As of Saturday, Danny Wright was penciled in to make his 13th start in Tuesday night’s game against Anaheim. But White Sox manager Jerry Manuel used Wright for one scoreless inning of relief in Saturday’s 7-2 loss to Oakland, re-creating a question mark at No. 5.

“I haven’t decided yet, but I will know more after (Sunday’s) game,” Manuel said of Wright, who mentioned he still could start Tuesday if Manuel made the call. “We would like to see Danny out of the bullpen a little bit, and if he responds well to that, we could make a change on the fifth starter.”

Possible candidates range from Neal Cotts, the dominating left-handed rookie currently pitching for Double-A Birmingham and Ryan Kohlmeier at Triple-A Charlotte. There’s also the chance White Sox general manager Kenny Williams could pull off a waiver-wire deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If the bullpen is not right, it doesn’t do us any good to go to a four-man rotation."

-- Jerry Manuel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But with that starter not needed much after these next two weeks, Manuel once again was questioned about eventually moving to a four-man rotation.

Manuel has pointed out that great steps have been taken to keep Esteban Loaiza, Mark Buehrle, Bartolo Colon and Jon Garland fresh for the stretch drive. But for the idea to come to fruition, Manuel believes that things have to first be righted in the bullpen.

“If the bullpen is not right, it doesn’t do us any good to go to a four-man rotation,” Manuel said. “You won’t let a guy throw 100-plus pitches if he’s on four-man, so the bullpen better be ready to go. If the depth comes back in our bullpen like we think that we have, then it’s a possibility.

“I don’t think we need 12 or 13 relievers to make it work,” added Manuel, who is working with a five-man bullpen and a 10-man pitching staff. “I think the relievers we have now, if everything can work out, are more than enough.”

For now, Manuel appears to be looking at a fifth starter by committee, depending on Wright’s relief needs over the next two weeks.

“We will insert some people in the fifth spot for a while,” Manuel said. “You hope to get by with it and hope to really hit on that particular day. You also know that you have another quality (starter) after and before that spot.”

This may mean absolutely nothing, but I heard on the Barons broadcast today, that Mitch Wylie who was scheduled to pitch today was pushed back a few days and will start on Tuesday. That is Cotts day in the rotation, so either they are pushing Cotts back or he will be headed for Anaheim.

Barons are down 2-0 in the 5th, by the way.

Watching 4 minor league games.......I've realized, that unless u see these kids in person... you have no idea how good they are.

Thats why I put my faith into what Rex says... he sees em every home game (or atleast thats what Gerdsy said)

Watching 4 minor league games.......I've realized, that unless u see these kids in person... you have no idea how good they are.

Thats why I put my faith into what Rex says... he sees em every home game (or atleast thats what Gerdsy said)

i am in total agreement with you. i was extremely happy how the board developes with just

as much info on the minors as it did with what is happening at the majors.

Thank ya Murcie

His change doesn't hurt either.

All of his pitches are solid. He just has an ability to throw the fastball in the part of the zone the hitter is not looking or to get him to chase one up in the zone. I have seen him freeze more hitters looking at a fastball for a 3rd strike than any other pitcher I can remember.

i am in total agreement with you. i was extremely happy how the board developes with just

You are so right. That is one of the things I like about this board. I know more about the Sox minor leaguers now than I have ever known in 40+ years of being a Sox fan.

Right now, it's looking like Neal Cotts is going to get his major league debut Tuesday in Anaheim after all. GO NEAL!! GO SOX!!!

Neal is going to be key for us down the stretch. And so is Danny Wright out of the pen. And I expect that both may play a positive role for us in the postseason. This is so much the right move for the Sox.

You are so right. That is one of the things I like about this board. I know more about the Sox minor leaguers now than I have ever known in 40+ years of being a Sox fan.

thanks, the one other thing i wish is that there were more on the sox lower minors players.

but then again, i am the kind of person who can never get enuf news of our young prospects.

i need to know more about how our draft picks are doing and the work that rex does with the

box scores are great.