Larussa 2012?

kitekrazy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
Fisk would be a terrible manager if he was anything like he was on the field. Players today wouldn't put up with it.

This x a million. Why would anyone think that Fisk would be a good manager? What has he done since he retired? Has he even coached at any level?

I know Robin Ventura is a Sox favorite, but does he have the experience to be on a big league coaching staff? Playing is one thing, but coaching is another. Just because Frank Thomas was a great hitter doesn't mean he can teach someone how to hit.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:30 AM)
Am I the only guy who would like to see LaRussa back in town?The dude's a douche but he's also a proven winner.

Guys of his age tend to either stay put (with a successful franchise) or jump ship to a ready-made contender. The White Sox are most-certainly not going to be the latter in 2012.

I would also allow a Sandberg hiring, in hopes that it turns out like a Mike Scioscia-like situation. Where in the face of the franchise on the other side of town manages the rival town's team to success...

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
I would also allow a Sandberg hiring, in hopes that it turns out like a Mike Scioscia-like situation. Where in the face of the franchise on the other side of town manages the rival town's team to success...

+1. Ryno should be on our list for sure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 07:39 AM)
Except much more aggressive in using bullpen matchups. Which might not be the worst thing ever.

Oh, and he also has had a much larger clubhouse alcohol issue.

I really didn't like Tony's choice of batting coach either. No wonder Mr. Rasmus was concerned about his son.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Guys of his age tend to either stay put (with a successful franchise) or jump ship to a ready-made contender. The White Sox are most-certainly not going to be the latter in 2012.

This is a different situation.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
What does anyone think if the rumor of LaRussa taking over in 2012 becomes a reality?

What coaches are retained? I'm assuming Cooper will keep his job since Duncan is still under contract to 2013.

As for Walker, you never know. He did play under Larussa for a short time.

BTW there are 63000 links in google about Larussa managing the 2012 White Sox.

Rumor has it Tony would be an interim and then move to the front office.

HELL YES - bring him back.

Sandburg no, don't want any cubbie contamination.

Fisk? C'mon he has absolutely no coaching or managing experience. Just hiring a name. Maybe if he were groomed for it for a couple of years.

Duncan will always be Larussa's pithching coach. Don can fly the Coop anytime would be ok with me. First pitch strike get ahead wow what a brainstorm.

For those on this site too young to remember or too far away to get the daily feel, Larussa and JR have always been close. Larussa would come back. Hawk fired him I don't know if they mended fences. Maybe not and we can get rid of Hawk Harrelson too. Woohoo! what a coup!

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:30 AM)
Am I the only guy who would like to see LaRussa back in town?The dude's a douche but he's also a proven winner.

I don't mind assholes as long as they get the job done.

Douchebag winner>>>Classy loser

Add me to the list.

When you think of Sandberg, intellectual heavyweight doesn't come to mind.

We worry about strategy/tactics with Ozzie all the time, but he's not going to be confused with Scioscia or Maddon in this regard.

Why not just get Dave Martinez, the one Sandberg's wife pick too??

Okay, bad joke.

But how many true Sox (or former/waffling) Cubs fans will come onboard or go to a game because of his presence in the dugout?

Only if he produces the same winning teams that Scioscia has with the Angels. Otherwise, he's just a sideshow for the media and that won't last long but will have a sad ending for both sides.

I'd rather they made Omar Vizquel player-manager than bringing in RYNO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
He is pretty much the exact same guy as Ozzie.

LaRussa does have a law degree and Ozzie about a 4th grade education, and for all I know, LaRussa's daughters don't twitter away all day. That said, I was glad Hawk dumped Tony in 1986. He's a winner some say, but look at the talent he had in Oakland and he won once there. That team was loaded. The other time he won he was beyond lucky to make the playoffs, although the Sox would fare a bit better in the HBP wars. Tony has to put his stamp on each game he manages. I think that was my biggest peeve with him. I really don't think even if Ozzie leaves he would come here, at least to manage. The rumors with this team are all over the place. One thing is for certain, if LaRussa came, there would be no rebuilding. The Sox would be trying to win the division. He's too old for the other crap.

I do think everyone who is pissed off now and wants the Sox to totally rebuild will be even more pissed off in 2 years if the Sox choose that route.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
+1. Ryno should be on our list for sure.

I agree. He never came across to me as very intelligent, but his HOF speech about playing the right way impressed me. He was a guy who was willing to go back to the minors to earn his shot. Not many with his background would do such a thing, and his teams in the minors do win. To me he's a consideration as a manager, or at the very least a coach. What a shot it would be to the Cubbies fans to have Ryno sitting in the Sox dugout with his alternate home pinstripes on.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)

While I may not agree with the sentiment, your signature is epic.

I've never felt that the manager can help a team that much. Just hurt them. Lineups and in game managerial decisions are typically pretty simple, there is usually just one clear answer. You just a need a baseball smart person who uses his head, not his ego to make decisions and your fine. Those guys are all over baseball.

I do think everyone who is pissed off now and wants the Sox to totally rebuild will be even more pissed off in 2 years if the Sox choose that route.

It's easy to say you want a rebuild.

Going through it will be agony.

The Sox need to be Yankees light. Sign a batch of free agents and Latin/Janpanese players while trying to not have the worst minor league system in baseball.

We need to keep this base of good pitchers and start "rebuilding' our lineup. First step is to somehow get somebody to take Rios and Dunn off our hands with us paying only half the salaries.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)

The Sox need to be Yankees light. Sign a batch of free agents and Latin/Janpanese players while trying to not have the worst minor league system in baseball.

We need to keep this base of good pitchers and start "rebuilding' our lineup. First step is to somehow get somebody to take Rios and Dunn off our hands with us paying only half the salaries.

Going through this is agony.

Stop pretending someone will take Rios or Dunn away if you pay 1/2. Just stop. It's not happening, the only way it happens is if they start hitting next year, and if that happens then suddenly you think twice about trading them...just like we wound up not thinking about trading Rios after he started hot last year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)

What good is keeping Buehlre/Danks/Floyd if we're still millions of dollars away from a productive offense?

We'd just have another season like 2011 in 2012...and be one year further away from being in contention as it would continue to get worse before things actually improved.

For 2012, we have no leadoff hitter, arguably no LFer or CFer, a very questionable situation at 3B and Beckham.

You can answer Viciedo is one answer, sure. But that still leaves a ton of holes and no money to fill any of them because of budget constraints.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
I think if Ozzie goes the Sox can compete in 2012.

In this division of course they can.

But they can only compete if they get good performances out of Peavy, Rios, and Dunn.

There's just too much money locked up there to get around this kind of garbage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
In this division of course they can.

But they can only compete if they get good performances out of Peavy, Rios, and Dunn.

There's just too much money locked up there to get around this kind of garbage.

What do you 'rebuilding' lovers want the Sox to do then?

Trade trade trade in acquiring prospects like KC does?

What's wrong with keeping the pitching staff and working on the lineup via free agency?

The Sox could have been smart and acquired Francour on the cheap this year and he'd have been EONS better than Dunn.

If teams won't take 1/2 the salary of Rios/Dunn then I'm sorry, you have to simply release Dunn and let Rios be the fourth outfielder.

By starting both of them, we are assured another season from hell. That's 2/9s of the order with both players batting in the 4-6 range in the lineup.

Just way too big of black holes.

Rios can sit and sulk; maybe he's lazy enough he won't mind sitting the pine and earning his money; Dunn we'll just have to cut if nobody will take him off our hands for 1/2 the salary.

Edited by greg775