Larussa 2012?

kitekrazy

There's no way in hell they can cut Dunn after just one season.

He'll get at least one more chance the first half of 2012.

Rios is another story. Obviously, a lot depends on what he does the final 2 months...as far as trading for prospects, who have the Royals acquired that was any good in the last 5 years?

Melky Cabrera was acquired cheaply, but everyone hates that guy in the clubhouse. He has a reputation as a malcontent. Surprised they didn't trade him while the getting was good this deadline. Francouer wouldn't have been the DH target because he's right-handed and I'm sure he would rather play in the OF everyday. He would have made sense going into 2012, especially if Quentin's traded. But to make him (or Quentin) the DH heading into this season and having almost no left-handed power, how would that have been logical? Especially based on his last 2-3 seasons. Everyone would have been all over KW. Rightfully so. And there's no guarantee that Francouer would play so well for the White Sox, where a lot more is expected out of the players than in KC. But I don't see where ANYONE was saying in the offseason that we should go out and acquire Jeff Francouer. It's like saying we should have gotten Jose Bautista. Every team in MLB had multiple opportunities to acquire the guy.

I guess they do have Escobar and Cain from the Greinke trade, but it's not like trading off all the veteran players in the last decade has gotten them much at all. The Royals still desperately need starting pitching, and they need for Moustakas to hit 1) over his weight and 2) with some pop in his bat.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
What do you 'rebuilding' lovers want the Sox to do then?

Trade trade trade in acquiring prospects like KC does?

What's wrong with keeping the pitching staff and working on the lineup via free agency?

The Sox could have been smart and acquired Francour on the cheap this year and he'd have been EONS better than Dunn.

If teams won't take 1/2 the salary of Rios/Dunn then I'm sorry, you have to simply release Dunn and let Rios be the fourth outfielder.

By starting both of them, we are assured another season from hell. That's 2/9s of the order with both players batting in the 4-6 range in the lineup.

Just way too big of black holes.

Rios can sit and sulk; maybe he's lazy enough he won't mind sitting the pine and earning his money; Dunn we'll just have to cut if nobody will take him off our hands for 1/2 the salary.

Do you understand what happens when you start cutting players with 2 and 3 and 4 years left on their contract? Especially when someone else then signs that player for the minimum, and 3 months later their playing well for another team while YOU are still paying for 95% of their contract?

How would you like to be paying Dunn $13.5 million next year while he plays for the Nationals and hits 40 home runs again? Then you'll be in here telling us all how incredibly stupid it was to designate him for assignment so another team can bear the fruits of our labor (and on our dime, too).

When you sign a player to a long-term deal or acquire another player with a lot of money and years remaining on his contract you take a calculated risk that he will perform and you have to be willing to have that player on your roster for the long haul. You can't just cut bait after one or two bad seasons.

Now I don't know what the hell is wrong with Dunn but I do know that he has been one of the most consistent players in the major leagues over the course of the last several years. While this may be a lost year, and a very costly year for the White Sox, you've got to count on him to bounce back next season.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 04:14 AM)
Do you understand what happens when you start cutting players with 2 and 3 and 4 years left on their contract? Especially when someone else then signs that player for the minimum, and 3 months later their playing well for another team while YOU are still paying for 95% of their contract?

How would you like to be paying Dunn $13.5 million next year while he plays for the Nationals and hits 40 home runs again? Then you'll be in here telling us all how incredibly stupid it was to designate him for assignment so another team can bear the fruits of our labor (and on our dime, too).

When you sign a player to a long-term deal or acquire another player with a lot of money and years remaining on his contract you take a calculated risk that he will perform and you have to be willing to have that player on your roster for the long haul. You can't just cut bait after one or two bad seasons.

Now I don't know what the hell is wrong with Dunn but I do know that he has been one of the most consistent players in the major leagues over the course of the last several years. While this may be a lost year, and a very costly year for the White Sox, you've got to count on him to bounce back next season.

Then bat him ninth.

He is a disgrace.

Tonight was three more whiffs.

I was just thinking we can only afford to have one of the two buzzkills next season.

How can we afford NOT to just cut one of them?

I mean it's all relative. Lost ticket sales, etc., because of Dunn/Rios. I mean the guy is hitting .165. I do not think he's going to bounce back.

I guess he could swing into 20 home runs. He's got 11 this season.

Seriously do you agree Dunn will probably single-handedly cost the team 5,000 ticket renewals? How much money does that add up to compared to his salary? Nobody wants to watch him.

Edited by greg775

Rios, based on the last 2-3 weeks, would cost us even more (in lost season ticket sales) than Dunn.

Everyone knows we have to have a LH bat in the line-up somewhere supplying power. We know his track record and have seen the back of his baseball card.

But fans won't suffer a lazy player with a cavalier attitude (seemingly) who's too proud or stubborn to make the adjustments necessary to make himself a better player again with that guaranteed contract. He's going to have to throw out nights like tonight CONSISTENTLY over the next 7-8 weeks for any fans to believe 1) he should come back again, 2) he could actually be a starter or gasp leadoff hitter for this team in 2012.

Edited by caulfield12

How much of the job of front office, coaches, and managers is motivating players to be successful? Of course he shouldn't need outside motivation, but in reality everyone does at times. Someone has to find a way into his head and turn this around. It would seem like AJ/PK should be in this guy's face.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 02:02 AM)
Rios, based on the last 2-3 weeks, would cost us even more (in lost season ticket sales) than Dunn.

Everyone knows we have to have a LH bat in the line-up somewhere supplying power. We know his track record and have seen the back of his baseball card.

But fans won't suffer a lazy player with a cavalier attitude (seemingly) who's too proud or stubborn to make the adjustments necessary to make himself a better player again with that guaranteed contract. He's going to have to throw out nights like tonight CONSISTENTLY over the next 7-8 weeks for any fans to believe 1) he should come back again, 2) he could actually be a starter or gasp leadoff hitter for this team in 2012.

I think that is more a perception than the reality of Alex...I know I am in the minority, but I do think he cares, and I do think he is frustrated...I just don't think he wants you to see it.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
Has Bob Brenly been brought up? If not, I would like to cast my vote for him.

I like Brenly, but I would be interested to see which side of the fence he falls on when it comes to following advanced metrics and data.

I have been pulling for Dave Martinez for months, but wow, it is incredible to hear how frustrated Rays' fans get with Maddon due to his enslavement to statistics and data. You start to wonder if some of the more data-oriented managers might swing too far to the other side of the pendulum.

I do know that I would love to see our current front office work with a manager and coaching squad that is data-oriented rather than "gut" oriented or "this is the way it's always been done" oriented.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
I like Brenly, but I would be interested to see which side of the fence he falls on when it comes to following advanced metrics and data.

I have heard him & Kasper mention Fangraphs on several occasions during Cubs games