Hey Soxtalk! You just made ESPN Chicago

Chisoxrd5

"I think Chicago is just being Chicago," Ozzie Jr. said before Wednesday's game. "I went on this website, Soxtalk.com, and, wow. It gets to the point where you don't want to read what you're reading. Obviously you're going to have to have tough skin not to reply to it. It gets kind of scary sometimes with the stuff people write, death threats and, 'Get out of here you Mexican.'

Link to the article - http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...shing-fan-hopes

What a day.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

'Get out of here you Mexican.' doesn't seem like something that would come from Soxtalk. It definitely doesn't paint of positive picture and is really stupid since Ozzie is from Venezuela. That kind of comment would be at least a 6 month ban at WSI.

Er, Ozzie Jr...that comment wouldn't have been tolerated here. Different site.

Yes, it's a fan site, so things get said.

But you, you're generally respected around here, since you are 100% professional.

Feel free to comment, you'll get mostly civil discussion (I can't vouch for everyone).

It gets kind of scary sometimes with the stuff people write, death threats and, 'Get out of here you Mexican.'

We have a problem here, Ozzie Jr.

Nobody ever goes racial on here. It doesn't happen.

People despise Ozzie (me and a couple others love him and want a lifetime contract for him) on here, but nobody says anything like you were quoted as saying.

The site mods should try their best to contact that writer or Ozzie Jr.

There never was any post about go away you Mexican. That is bulls***.

There have been no racist threads on here since I've been here. If there were I'd leave forever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)
We have a problem here, Ozzie Jr.

Nobody ever goes racial on here. It doesn't happen.

People despise Ozzie (me and a couple others love him and want a lifetime contract for him) on here, but nobody says anything like you were quoted as saying.

The site mods should try their best to contact that writer or Ozzie Jr.

There never was any post about go away you Mexican. That is bulls***.

There have been no racist threads on here since I've been here. If there were I'd leave forever.

Yes, agreed, someone needs to contact them and fix that article now. I've been on here for 4 years and have never seen any comment even CLOSE to this tolerated.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
Yes, agreed, someone needs to contact them and fix that article now. I've been on here for 4 years and have never seen any comment even CLOSE to this tolerated.

The worst people do is when they really get mad they cuss out Ozzie in a thread but it's never come close to being racial.

Not the rants against Ozzie.

People have screamed for him to leave town but nobody has threatened to even punch Ozzie on here.

Now the ESPN readers think soxtalk is full of racist crap which is untrue.

And if there was a death threat on here, I'm sure the mods would notify the police which they'd have a right to do.

Just doesn't happen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:37 AM)
The worst people do is when they really get mad they cuss out Ozzie in a thread but it's never come close to being racial.

Not the rants against Ozzie.

People have screamed for him to leave town but nobody has threatened to even punch Ozzie on here.

Now the ESPN readers think soxtalk is full of racist crap which is untrue.

And if there was a death threat on here, I'm sure the mods would notify the police which they'd have a right to do.

Just doesn't happen.

Yeah, while I like Oz Jr., he HAD to be thinking of somewhere else.

I can't find anywhere to contact them.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
'Get out of here you Mexican.' doesn't seem like something that would come from Soxtalk. It definitely doesn't paint of positive picture and is really stupid since Ozzie is from Venezuela. That kind of comment would be at least a 6 month ban at WSI.

Yeah, I never read any anti-Mexican stuff like that here at SoxTalk, in fact, the opposite is true, we were all hyped last year when we thought we had a shot at Adrian Gonzalez...someone here called OG an illiterate redneck, which was strange.

BTW, SoxTalkers for the most part know where each latin sox player comes, exp, Lexi=Cuban, Santos and CQ=Mexican, Rios=PR and so forth...

Jr. should check his facts.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:08 AM)
Yeah, I never read any anti-Mexican stuff like that here at SoxTalk, in fact, the opposite is true, we were all hyped last year when we thought we had a shot at Adrian Gonzalez...someone here called OG an illiterate redneck, which was strange.

BTW, SoxTalkers for the most part know where each latin sox player comes, exp, Lexi=Cuban, Santos and CQ=Mexican, Rios=PR and so forth...

Jr. should check his facts.

Juan D'Vaughn Pierre = Coffee, Alabama.

The Alabaman with Hispanic first name, African-American middle name, and French last name.

God bless his parents for that wonderful name.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:50 PM)
Feel free to comment, you'll get mostly civil discussion (I can't vouch for everyone).

I think this site is losing that. Since we can't really say much more we find ways to indirectly insult certain members.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:39 AM)
I think this site is losing that. Since we can't really say much more we find ways to indirectly insult certain members.

Those f***ing Peyton Manning fans and their damn opinions.

Other than Milkman not liking greg and Balta and SS2k5 wanting to punch each other in the faces with battle axes, this a pretty tame site as far as flare ups go.

Oh, almost forgot about J4L's unwarranted evil pessimism and Felix loving him some Chris Paul.

Edited by Quinarvy

Still, the point that Sox fans or message board posters are "ignorant" about something simple like the difference between Venezuelans and Mexicans...it's just too simplistic to throw out stuff like that and "tar and feather" an entire board.

I bet Ozzie Jr. is just taking the amalgamation of all the hate and racism that is projected towards his father (especially from talk radio callers or letters received at USCF) and painting with far too broad a brush.

Fans don't like his father? They have to be racist, right? That is the only possible reason, if you're his son.

The irony of course is how many prejudiced or outright biased statements that his father has made since he became manager of the White Sox. There's plenty of reasons to be upset about his managerial performance, but his ethnic background shouldn't be one of them, any more than Obama's race. There is that fringe out there that would not vote for Obama if he saved them all from drowning personally...and certainly Sox fans who have never approved of Ozzie because of his constant cursing or whatever, but c'mon Junior. Try to have a more nuanced viewpoint instead of seeing everything in black and white.

Does anyone really believe Ozzie Jr. took the time to read about immigration reform or slam/political topics? Really?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (since56 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Death threats? Racist comments? Just make up what ever fits your needs. Seems like all the Guillens have big imaginations to go with their mouths. I can't wait for the mud slinging when they leave town.

I hope when the day comes, they just go to Florida so he can manage the Marlins and thank the Sox organization for a great tenure. There would be nothing to be gained by the mud slinging, and it would be silly on anyone's part to get involved in it because you still have things like "10 year anniversary of 2005", etc. If he goes to Florida and leaves on a good note here, I'd have no problem rooting for the Marlins.

Its hilarious that the Guillens would actually publicly make such comments, considering they regularly make childish and baseless comments about people on twitter (which, ya know, is on the internet much like Soxtalk)....

That being said, I think OzJr and Oney are probably still upset that Katy Perry said he has a tiny weewee.